JUNO Awards now accepting nominations until November 12 [News]
The JUNO Awards are now accepting submissions for this year’s nominations. If you know of any Canadian artists that have released music between September 1, 2009 and now (or who will be releasing something prior to November 14th, 2010), please encourage them to submit for consideration for the JUNOs. Canadian hip-hop’s representation in terms of collected JUNO nomination submissions has been increasing over the past couple of years and we’re hoping to see that number reach even higher this time around. So whether you’re an artist or just have a close connection to one, encourage them to take in the info that can be found after the jump.
JUNO Awards Submission Info
Did you know:
– Artists, songwriters, producers, etc, can make their own submissions.
– You do not require national distribution in order to qualify for the JUNO Awards, however, your product must be available for retail or online sale in Canada.
– The eligibility period for the 2011 JUNO Awards is between September 1, 2009 and November 12, 2010. This means that your product must have been released to the general public within this time frame.
– Submission forms are available as of October 1, 2010 on the JUNO Awards Submission website (http://junosubmissions.ca) and the deadline for submissions is November 12, 2010. The International Album of the Year and Album of the Year categories are due January 7, 2011.
– All submissions must be completed online.
– As long as the artist is born a Canadian or is a landed immigrant who has resided in Canada for the past 6 months, during the eligibility period, the product qualifies.
Submission Fees and Deadlines:
CARAS offers an early bird submission fee to those who submit between October 1, 2010 and October 22, 2010. CARAS members receive a reduced submission fee applicable to both the early bird deadline as well as the final deadline. If you are eligible to submit, you are eligible for membership. Please visit http://www.carasonline.ca for more membership information.
The submission fee can be paid online with a credit card or by cheque.
October 1 – 22, 2010 (Early Bird Deadline)
$30 for CARAS Members
$50 for non-members
October 23 – November 12, 2010 (Final Deadline for craft or juried categories)
$60 for CARAS Members
$80 for non-members
January 7, 2011 (Deadline for all sales-based categories)
$60 for CARAS Members
$80 for non-members
How it works:
* 330 Judges – Each year, judges are recruited for each of the 33 judged categories to adjudicate the material that is submitted. These individuals are responsible for listening to each of the submissions and voting for the best product in the genre. The judges change each year and are spread out in different facets of the music industry and different regions throughout Canada.
* 47 Nominating & Voting Committee Members – The Nominating & Voting Committee is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the JUNO Awards. It is their responsibility to monitor any changes within the industry as it relates to the awards. The committee brings any necessary changes to the attention of the Board of Directors.
* 180+ Music Advisory Committee Members- Each category has an associated advisory committee who is responsible for ensuring that each of the submissions in their specific genre meets the required qualifications for the JUNO Awards.
Do you think you are qualified to be a JUNO Awards judge? If so CLICK HERE for our application form. If you have any questions regarding the process and eligibility please feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll free at 1-888-440-5866.
I don’t have high sales so is there any point of me submitting?
YES! Only 9 out of 39 categories have any sales qualification. Most of the categories with sales qualifications still include a member or jury vote. There have been many examples of artists without high sales numbers that receive a nomination in categories such as New Artist of the Year, New Group of the Year, etc. Have a look at past nominees on our past winner/nominee history page.
What defines a release date?
“Release date” for CARAS eligibility purposes is defined as the date of the first shipment to retail, or the date of first online transaction. Albums shipped to retail not later than November 12, 2010 will qualify, provided the Album is available in store and online not later than November 23, 2010. Albums available for pre-order online not later November 12, 2010 will also qualify. Proof of transaction may be requested. PLEASE NOTE: All product (2 CD copies) must still be received at the CARAS office by 5PM on the November 13 deadline day.
Can I submit to more than one category?
YES! You may only make one submission in any of the specific genre categories (Rock, Pop, Country, World Music, etc.) but you can also submit into the non-genre and technical categories (Artist of the Year, Group of the Year, Songwriter, Instrumental, Francophone, Aboriginal and Contemporary Christian/Gospel, Recording Engineer, Producer, Video, etc.) provided that the submission meets the category.
I submitted last year but did not get nominated. Can I submit again?
YES, as long as your album still falls within the correct release dates (Sept 1, 09 to Nov 12, 10). You may submit twice to the same category but only be nominated once.
If my album was nominated last year but still falls within the eligible release dates, can I submit it again?
You cannot be nominated for a genre category one year and be nominated for a different genre category the following year for the same album. (E.g. If you were nominated for Rock last year you cannot submit the same album into Pop this year). However, you can submit into other non-genre categories if you did not receive a nomination the previous year such as Group of the Year, Songwriter of the Year, etc.
I don’t have an album out. Can I submit my Single?
Yes you can submit singles into certain categories if you do not have an album available. Categories that accept singles are Rap Recording of the Year, Reggae Recording of the Year, R&B/Soul Recording of the Year, and Dance Recording of the Year.
I have an EP. Can I submit it?
You cannot submit your EP into any categories that have “Album” in the title (e.g. Alternative Album of the Year, etc.) as an album is defined as having a minimum run time of 25:00 minutes. You may submit your EP into other categories provided it meets criteria.
I have made my submission. Now what?
From here CARAS will review each submission for completeness. If for some reason your submission is not complete or in the wrong genre we will get in touch with you. If complete and in the correct genre it will be sent out electronically to either a panel of judges or to the CARAS membership for voting.
What if I submit into the wrong genre?
Not to worry! We have an advisory committee for each genre that reviews every submission to make sure it’s in the correct category. If the committee feels you album would be better suited in a different genre we will be in touch to relay the committee suggestion. If you agree we will move it into a different category for you.
What happens if I get a nomination?
There will be a press conference held in Toronto early February to announce the nominations. At this time the list of nominees will also be posted on our website. A CARAS representative will be in contact with you via email to inform you of what is involved. It is very important to provide us with accurate information when you submit as we will make contact with whomever we have on file.
The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences is currently in the process of reviewing our Nominating & Voting guidelines. If you have any questions regarding the process and eligibility please feel free to send us an email at email@example.com or call us at 1-888-440-5866
For more info check out http://junoawards.ca/submissions/.