The Freestylimpics return: Mar. 29 in Calgary [News]
Calgary, AB – This upcoming Saturday, Calgary’s finest MCs go head-to-head at the second annual installation of The Freestylimpics. Last year, Calgary’s ContraVerse and Jazzlib Collective got together to create an event to showcase the freestyle abilities of Calgary’s rap cats.
Think of the Freestylimpics as an Olympics (of sorts) for freestyling. Yes- I know that’s what the event name implies. But I just figured I’d put that out there. Last year I went and covered the Freestylimpics for HHC (check the review over here). But this year, my girl Rebecca Dawn from ContraVerse has invited me to judge the event. I’m ridiculously excited. Not even going to lie. It’s going to be too fun.
It all goes down at the Sunalta Community Centre (1627 – 10 Ave SW). Doors open at 7 p.m. And the battles go down at 8 p.m. There is a $10 minimum suggested donation at the door. This is an all-ages event. So bring your kids. Or your grandma. Or whoever. If we’re being completely honest, here, I brought my dad to the Freestylimpics last year (thanks, dad).
So there you go. And if for some unfortunate reason, you won’t be able to attend the event, you can live steam The Freestylimpics from 8 p.m. until 12 a.m. MST via livestreamcalgary.com. Peep more details after the jump.
ContraVerse Collective, Party Quest Crew and Jazzlib Collective, return for a second year of giving shine to raw local talent, bringing the freestyle flyness, and showcasing all of the elements that make up Calgary’s hip-hop scene. That’s right – the Freestylimpics isn’t just about free styling. The event also includes a beatbox showcase, an arts boutique, a b-boy versus voguer fashion battle, and more.
This year’s event will be hosted by our girl Jaynova, and HHC’s Stefan Lewis (who you may know from the Knotted Roots show on CJSW). Also, there’s going to be grub on-site this year, courtesy of Ouda Ouda (natural Jamaican style food). For all of you 18-plus people, there’s going to be a beer garden, too. And a freestyle cocktails bar.
About the Freestylimpics
The Freestylimpics is a multi-skill MC competition to test all aspects of freestyle. The event’s collective vision is to bring together contrasting genres of the MC community in Calgary and celebrate our diversity. Community partners for this event include: Party Quest Crew, Brotherman Urban Recording, Café Koi, Calgary Gymnastics Centre, Jayzen, Krippled Khemist beats, Brotherhood Productions, Harm Productions, Hip Hop for Humanity, Apartment Art, Pulse Studios, Fozzy Fest, Girls on Decks, Hip Hop & Funk Styles, Bad Girls Club, Leaf Ninjas and SnkrFace.
Unique events will test different components of the MC skill set, from battle format, to individual creativity, to crew battles. DJs, B-Boys/Girls and visual art will also be represented in the night’s entertainment. Individual categories for the event include:
- M-See Creativity Jam– participating MC receives a random topic and has one minute to rap about it.
- 9-to-Smoke – A format originally taken from the b-boy culture where 10 MCs battle in one-on-one rounds. The first MC to win nine total rounds is crowned the champion.
Prizes for MCs from individual rounds:
- 1st place: Studio time at Brotherman Urban Music studio and cash
- 2nd place: Exclusive rights to beats by BrotherHood Productions and Harm Productions
- 3rd place: Athletic apparel from the Calgary Gymnastics Centre
The crew battles consist of multiple teams (between three and five MCs) competing in small mini-games. Crews will be judged based on teamwork, chemistry, clean mic passes, lyrical substance, battling, and more:
- 4 x 4 Relay – Crew members drop four bars, and then pass the mic to the next member. This goes on for four rounds.
- Pandora’s Wall– Images will be projected onto the wall and each crew has one minute to rap and use the image to battle the other crews.
- Off The Hook – Each crew gets three minutes to freestyle about a topic, but they must integrate a hook or chorus into their performance.
Prizes for the winning crew:
- $100 donation from Hip Hop for Humanity in the name of the winning crew donated towards a local charity
- Brotherman Urban Music recording package
- Bragging rights
Twitter: @Jazzlibs | @CamTheHumanJC | @snkrface | @RebeccaD_Emcee | @Jaynovaa | @jayzenC | @knottedroots
Tweets by @HipHopCanada