Drake celebrates his 28th birthday [News]
Toronto, ON – Just a couple of weeks after winning Album Of The Year at the 2014 BET Hip Hop Awards (for Nothing Was The Same, released September 20, 2013) Toronto recording artist Aubrey Drake Graham celebrates his 28th birthday. It’s been an eventful year for the young superstar and it must be hard to imagine how a man who has it all goes about celebrating such a joyous occasion. Seriously, if you turning up heavy on a regular night out, how do you go bigger for your birthday? First world problems, indeed. At this point we haven’t heard much chatter of how he and the team plan on celebrating but we’re sure it will be epic. Happy Birthday Drizzy!
And if you’re someone that Drake will be expecting a gift from, good luck shopping for him. We suggest getting creative and going with something from the heart. After the OVO team was gracious enough to bring HipHopCanada backstage during a recent tour stop, we presented him with a hand carved owl which we picked up on a beach in Mexico. That seemed to go over well. So the owl, OVO’s official logo and mascot, is a safe bet for any Drake-related gift. Anything representing Toronto would likely also go over well as he prepares for the 2015 release of his new album, Views from the 6.
Just a couple of years shy of the big 30 and he continues to accomplish more in a year than most people would like to achieve in a lifetime. Needless to say, beyond just the general growth of his career, Drake can confidently say it’s been an eventful year. As listed here (and nicely summarized for us by a popular gossip rag): “In the span of just 12 months, he hosted SNL to critical acclaim, hooked up with Rihanna, broke up with her, ended his feud with Chris Brown, hosted the ESPY Awards, dissed Rihanna in concert, received a lap dance from Nicki Minaj, stole a NBA player’s girlfriend, and most recently, he was majorly dissed by his labelmate, Tyga!”
Again, Tyga doesn’t strike us as Drake’s biggest concern and there’s a rumor floating around that Tyga caught feelings for not being included in Drizzy’s birthday plans, but, again, just a rumor at this point. That said, there has already backlash towards Tyga from the OVO team. Chubbs (@ChubbsView) jumped on Instagram and posted a clip of Tyga’s appearance on MTV’s Bustas from several years ago. In the clip, Tyga admits he’s from the suburbs and lacks the street credibility he often claims to have.
But back to the man of the day – he also completed a MAJOR US tour with his mentor and friend, Lil Wayne, completed his own 35+ headlining tour (Would You like a Tour?), launched yet another successful and extravagant OVO Fest (August 4), made a cameo in the movie Think Like a Man Too, and was a shortlisted nominee for a 2014 Polaris Music Prize.
We’re looking forward to seeing what the year ahead brings! MTV just published a list of 29 things Drake can accomplish before he turns 29. You can find a preview of that after the jump.
Once again, Happy Birthday Drake!
HBD Drake: 29 Things To Do Before You Turn 29
MTV’s Nadeska Alexis put together a fun list of 29 things she thinks Drake should get done before he turns 29 in 2015. Click here to see the original listing on MTV with additional content.
01. Sign a 10-day contract with the Raptors, because being the team ambassador can’t cut it forever
02. Or, just buy the team, then brag about it to Jay Z
03. Create and host an actual awards show called the Hood Grammys — because “we need this”
04. Follow through with that battle rap that you challenged Murda Mook to (don’t do it!)
05. Become the mayor of Toronto. Elections are close, on October 27, but how tough can it be to win, if Rob Ford can do it?
06. Create an official compilation album of Drake GIFs — because you were made to be GIFed
07. Give Halle Berry a baby — because no one can stop you
08. Sign a female artist to OVO Sound because you’re the “king of the ladies”
09. Just propose to Rihanna and get it over with — doesn’t matter if she says no (don’t do it!)
10. Record the diss track to end all diss tracks and ether everyone who’s ever trash talked you
11. Give us a mixtape that includes “Side Pieces” “Honorable Mention” and other future hood classics before your 4th album drops
12. Release a love song with Young Thug
13. Figure out a way to actually profit from the sale of “Drake Tears”
14. Go Platinum in less than a week when Views From The 6ix drops
15. Then release the full album of R&B slow jams that you know you want to (with Birdman ad-libs)
16. Go bar-for-bar with Kanye West on a song
17. Start a chain of strip clubs where dancers can only shake it to OVO songs
18. Re-release a video for “Best I Ever Had” so we can see how much you’ve changed
19. Briefly date one of the Kardashians so you and Khloe can “Take Toronto” together
20. Have your birthday declared a national holiday in Toronto, while you’re at it
21. Admit to Justin Bieber that he’s making Canada look bad
22. Purchase the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto, like you promised at OVO Fest this year
23. Then change the laws, so Chris Brown’s felony record doesn’t prevent him from performing with you next time
24. Record a joint EP with Lil Wayne because the Drake vs. Wayne Tour was incredible
25. Get that Sade collaboration you’ve been wanting for years
26. Give an up-and-coming country singer a huge break by remixing one of their songs
27. Land a starring movie role, because that “Anchorman II” cameo doesn’t really count
28. Work on another set of limited-edition OVO Jordans then donate the insane profits to charity.
29. Keep doing what you do