It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 394 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Johny Hendricks Has A Message For GSP
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:31 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Johny Hendricks Has A Message For GSP: “Don’t Duck Me”

The big winner in the Georges St-Pierre fight sweepstakes is Nick Diaz, but that means somebody has to come out the other side as the loser in the whole ordeal.

By just about everybody’s standards in terms of earning a crack at the belt, Johny Hendricks is the man who should be challenging St-Pierre next, but the long standing grudge with Diaz seems to have trumped the former NCAA champion’s title hopes.

UFC President Dana White announced on Thursday that St-Pierre has asked to face Diaz next, and they will “probably” put that fight together because rarely has the UFC welterweight champion asked for anything, and they feel obligated to let him get the fight he’s choosing this time.

Unfortunately that leaves Hendricks as the odd man out in this situation.

White believes that Hendricks has looked ultra impressive of late, and believes that his time will come, but for now he’s not in the right place to demand a title shot, and if GSP wants Diaz, then GSP gets Diaz.

“Johny Hendricks has had some great fights. When he’s talking about winning in spectacular fashion, this guy hits so hard they skid across the Octagon. He’s in no position to demand anything,” White said about Hendricks.

“Georges St-Pierre is the champ, has been forever, and if that’s the fight he wants then that’s probably the fight we’re going to give him if Diaz accepts it.”

Needless to say, Hendricks was anything but pleased when told the news that Nick Diaz would likely be the next man in line to face St-Pierre.

As friendly as any fighter in the UFC, Hendricks let loose with a little emotion via Twitter on Thursday night with his sights set directly at welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

“All I have to say is Georges St-Pierre, don’t duck me,” said Hendricks. “If he’s scared you won’t get takedowns, I’ll spot you one or two and if you just want to keep it on the feet, I will try my hardest not to hit you with everything I have.

“You’re the champ, you shouldn’t be telling anyone you want to fight. Because I am the person you should be fighting. The only thing you should be thinking is that you get to enjoy that belt until the night (we fight) then it’s mine.”

For his part, St-Pierre has yet to make a statement about the fight with Nick Diaz, or the comments from Johny Hendricks. If nothing changes however, Hendricks will likely sit on the sidelines while Nick Diaz faces St-Pierre in the first half of 2013.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/johny-hendricks-has-a-message-for-georges-st-pierre-dont-duck-me

Post subject: GSP Asks For Nick Diaz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:35 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

GSP Asks For Nick Diaz; Dana White Says Fight Will “Probably” Happen Next

It appears Georges St-Pierre will get his wish for his next fight but it doesn’t involve Anderson Silva or Johny Hendricks.

All signs are pointing towards St-Pierre next defending his UFC welterweight title against Stockton bad boy Nick Diaz at some point in 2013.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the news when speaking to reporters after the UFC on Fox 5 press conference ended. White stated that GSP has asked to fight Diaz next, and the UFC will likely oblige his wish.

St-Pierre has been on vacation in France since his unanimous decision victory over Carlos Condit just a few weeks ago, but now he’s made his intentions known, and it’s to settle a long standing rivalry with the former Strikeforce champion.

On two different occasions, St-Pierre and Diaz have been matched up, but neither fight went forward. Now it appears the grudge will finally be settled next year.

Diaz is still awaiting his suspension to be lifted from the Nevada State Athletic Commission surrounding a positive test for marijuana stemming from his last fight against Condit.

He will be available to apply for a new fight license after Feb 2, 2013, and at that point if cleared he can officially gear up to face St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight strap.

The unfortunate part of this entire scenario is for both Anderson Silva and Johny Hendricks, who wanted the next crack at St-Pierre. Silva has been gunning for a super fight against St-Pierre, while Hendricks has clearly defined himself as the No. 1 contender at welterweight over the last year.

Hendricks knocked out both top five welterweights Jon Fitch and Martin Kampmann, and also picked up a win over Josh Koscheck along the way. That’s still not enough for now to get Hendricks in the cage with St-Pierre, and he will likely end up fighting again in the interim.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/georges-st-pierre-asks-for-nick-diaz-dana-white-says-fight-will-probably-happen-next

Post subject: Johny Hendricks Is “Still In Shock”
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Exclusive: Johny Hendricks Is “Still In Shock” Over Georges St-Pierre Calling For Nick Diaz Fight

Post subject: Benson Henderson Reigns Supreme
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Benson Henderson Reigns Supreme With Shutout Performance Over Nate Diaz

Prior to Saturday night, UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson said he wasn’t worried about winning pretty or winning ugly so long as he came away with the victory.

See questions had been raised about Henderson’s status as lightweight champion after two razor close decisions with former title holder Frankie Edgar, and everyone wondered if he needed to go out and dominate Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5 to define his reign atop the division.

Again and again, Henderson dispelled that rumor and said he just wanted to win by any means necessary, so long as he went home with the title.

Well, Henderson fooled everybody because he had no intentions of letting Nate Diaz even hold his UFC lightweight title, much less win it on Saturday night in Seattle.

What took place at UFC on Fox 5 was nothing short of a statement from Benson Henderson as he served notice to everyone at 155lbs that he is the best in the world, and he plans on holding onto the belt for a long time to come.

Everyone knew going into the fight with Nate Diaz that Henderson had the superior wrestling and strength, but from the moment the fight started, the champion was all over the challenger both on the feet and on the ground. Henderson attacked with axe like leg kicks that punished Diaz, and then came upstairs with big power to drop the Stockton, California native a couple of times during the fight.

Henderson’s ability to keep Diaz off balance was truly the difference in the fight because all he could do was try to counter the champion’s offense. At every turn, Henderson was in Diaz’s face with powerful strikes, followed up by powerful wrestling and suffocating control on the ground.

There just never seemed to be a moment when Diaz found his rhythm, and Henderson found a home for every attack he launched at the contender. The total strikes tell the story of the main event with Henderson landing 124 significant strikes to Diaz’s 30 according to Fight Metric.

Once the fight was over, the scores from the judges were just a formality because Benson Henderson clearly won and now defines himself as the best lightweight on the planet. To hear him tell it though, the fight was already won before he ever stepped foot in the Octagon.

The win came from months of preparation, and all Henderson had to do was unleash it in the cage on Saturday night.

“It’s just a matter of being well prepared, being in the gym as much as possible. All these guys talk about being fighters and “oh they train this hard”, and Nate also trains his butt off, freaking tough as heck, but at the MMA Lab in Glendale, Arizona we’re all about being well prepared,” Henderson stated.

While the champion could have easily talked after the fight about his second title defense in 2012, or what challengers he wanted to face next, Henderson took the time to pay tribute to some people close to him dealing with much tougher situations than a fight in the UFC.

Henderson dedicated the fight and victory to the mother of a pair of teammates currently dealing with cancer, and one of his business partners who recently lost his son in a hiking accident.

“Fighting is just a small part, there’s a lot more to life guys,” said Henderson. “Hug on your loved ones, cherish them, these moments that we have together they’re a lot shorter than you think.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/benson-henderson-reigns-supreme-with-shutout-performance-over-nate-diaz-at-ufc-on-fox-5

Post subject: Alexander Gustafsson Grinds Out Decision
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:48 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Alexander Gustafsson Grinds Out Decision; Gets Next Title Shot

Alexander “The Mauler” Gustafsson (14-1-0) has cemented his place as the No. 1 contender for the UFC light heavyweight title with an unanimous decision win over Brazilian Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (21-7-0) in the co-main event at UFC on Fox 5 from the KeyArena in Seattle.

Gustafsson wasted no time, immediately going on the attack and dropped Rua before switching to ground and pound. The Brazilian then turned the tables with a leg lock on Gustafsson who was in trouble momentarily, but the Swede escaped. Gustafsson controlled the remaining stages of the round working his knees from the Thai clinch.

Both fighters came out swinging in round two and Gustafsson was clipped by a Rua shot before a right hand down the pipe rocked the 25-year-old. Gustafsson then closed the distance, working from the clinch before scoring a couple of takedowns in the second half of the round to secure the point.

Rua was beginning to gas as they entered the final frame and Gustafsson continued to score with his takedowns on the Brazilian before letting him stand back up. Rua was hurt by a liver shot from the Swede and was backpedalling, but Gustafsson continued to stalk, picking his shots on Rua before again scoring with takedowns.

It was a dominant performance by Gustafsson, who picked up a wide decision on the scorecards (30-27, 30-27, 30-26).

Providing that everything goes to plan, Gustafsson will step in the Octagon to fight for the UFC light heavyweight title against the winner of the fight between Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen currently scheduled for April 2013.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-5-results-alexander-gustafsson-grinds-out-decision-gets-next-title-shot

Post subject: Rory MacDonald Decimates BJ Penn
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:50 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Rory MacDonald Decimates BJ Penn, Wants Revenge On Carlos Condit

Call it a passing of the torch because Rory MacDonald officially arrived on Saturday with a one-sided, dominant win over UFC legend B.J. Penn.

To come out of retirement, Penn specifically asked the UFC to face MacDonald at welterweight, and from everything leading up to the fight, it looked like the Hawaiian was back to form.

Penn brought in an All-Star group of training partners, cut down his body fat, and promised great cardio come fight night. None of it mattered because Rory MacDonald had other plans.

The young Canadian, who has been called a future champion by just about everyone this side of Georges St-Pierre, did not disappoint with his performance in his biggest fight to date.

MacDonald punished Penn to the body with nasty punches and kicks, especially in the second round when he trapped the former champion against the cage and absolutely unloaded with rib shattering shot after shot. Penn could only stand there and take the punches, as referee Herb Dean stepped in close to stopping the bout.

Penn persevered but only to absorb more punishment from MacDonald for the remainder of the fight.

If there was a turning point in the fight it may have been when MacDonald started to taunt and showboat in front of a gassed out Penn, who offered up very little resistance by that stage of the fight. The crowd booed MacDonald in unison, but that didn’t change what was happening inside the Octagon.

When the final horn sounded, MacDonald looked like a lion, and Penn a freshly hunted lamb.

The final scores showcased just how dominant MacDonald was in the fight, but instead of talking about his devastating victory, he only had one thing on his mind – revenge.

“There’s a guy that humiliated me a couple years ago, I want my revenge. Carlos Condit I want a rematch, accept my challenge. Let’s do it in March in my home territory again, and I’m going to get my revenge,” MacDonald said after the fight.

Condit knocked out MacDonald in 2010, viciously finishing the fight with strikes on the ground in the Canadian’s backyard of Vancouver.

Now the only thing MacDonald wants is a shot at revenge against the only man to defeat him in his young MMA career

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-5-results-rory-macdonald-decimates-bj-penn-wants-revenge-on-carlos-condit

Post subject: Matt Brown Dominates
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Matt Brown Dominates Then Knocks Out Mike Swick

Matt ‘The Immortal’ Brown (16-11-0) continued his UFC resurgence with a second-round knockout win over Mike Swick (15-5-0) in the opening main card fight at UFC on Fox 5 from the KeyArena in Seattle.

Brown was looking to come forward off the opening bell and was hit by some stiff resistance from Swick, but he persevered and got the takedown, immediately looking for the neck of Swick. He was able to lock in a D’arce choke and was desperately trying to hold on as Swick planned his escape.

Swick broke free, but was quickly locked in a triangle, but the 33-year-old showed his patience to bring the fight back to the feet.

Brown came out attacking in the second round, and landed a solid elbow on Swick, who was looking wobbly on his feet. Brown sensed this coming forward, landing a left hook that sent Swick tumbling, but before he could hit the ground, Brown landed a flush right hand knocking Swick out cold. The referee quickly ran in waving the fight away at 2:31 of round two.

The win was Brown’s fourth in succession, while Swick has lost three of his last four UFC fights.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-5-results-matt-brown-dominates-then-knocks-out-mike-swick

Post subject: Yves Edwards Hands Jeremy Stephens First Career KO
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:02 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Yves Edwards Hands Jeremy Stephens First Career KO Loss

Jeremy Stephens threw a big right hand that had all kinds of bad intentions.

Unfortunately for him, Yves Edwards' right hand landed first. Stephens' right went flying over the top as his feet went out from under him. And for the first time in 29 fights, Stephens now knows what it's like to have his lights put out.

The lightweight bout closed out the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC on FOX 5 event at Seattle's KeyArena. It aired on FX following an additional prelim on Facebook and ahead of the main card on FOX.

Edwards and Stephens were supposed to fight in October, but Stephens' arrest the day of the fight in Minneapolis for a charge in Iowa put the bout on hold. For Edwards, the wait was worth it.

The two looked to slug early with fireworks, and Stephens had Edwards backing up as he covered up and ate a few body shots.

But out of nowhere, as both looked to land right hands, Edwards' connected in a big way. Stephens immediately was on the canvas. And as Edwards moved in looking for the finish, he landed repeated fists to the head, then ate a big right elbow that had his eyes rolling back in his head, clearly out.

It was the first time in Stephens' career that he has been knocked out. The end came at 1:55 of the first round.

"When he went down, I got on top and thought he was out for a second," Edwards said. "But his eyes were still open, so I jumped on him. I was like, 'I can't let this guy recover – this guy has a good chin, so I have to take him out.'"

The victory gives Edwards 10 in the UFC's lightweight division, moving him into a tie for tops in UFC history with Melvin Guillard, Jim Miller and former champ B.J. Penn.

"It's a great feeling to go out there and get a win after all the issues and changes in opponents," Edwards said. "I'm just glad that the guy I trained really hard for originally is the one that stepped in there tonight. It made the last two weeks of camp a lot easier knowing we had trained for this before. I was looking for the knockout, but I really expected him to be able to take the high kicks. He’s a really tough guy and I'm glad I was able to get the finish."

Edwards (42-18-1 MMA, 10-6 UFC) gets back in the win column after a loss in December 2011 to Tony Ferguson. Stephens (20-9 MMA, 7-7 UFC) could be on shaky ground now with three straight losses.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-on-fox-5-results-yves-edwards-vs-jeremy-stephens

Yves Edwards On Landing The Knockout Punch Against Jeremy Stephens

Post subject: Cruickshank Stops Martinez With Head-Kick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Cruickshank Stops Martinez With Head-Kick Knockout

Daron Cruickshank certainly made the Motor City proud.

"The Detroit Superstar" battered the durable, but ultimately overmatched Henry Martinez before ending the fight with a picture-perfect head-kick.

The lightweight bout was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC on FOX 5 event at Seattle's KeyArena. It aired on FX following an additional prelim on Facebook and ahead of the main card on FOX.

Martinez, who came in over two pounds heavy for the bout and was forced to give up 20 percent of his purse, instantly shot for a takedown against the leaping kick of Cruickshank, whose balance ket him upright as his doughy opponent pressed. With no movement, the two were separated, and this time, Cruickshank had more luck countering the wild-swinging Martinez. But again, he found himself back-first against the cage, stalling the bout.

Martinez unloaded against the cage and managed to catch the retreating Cruickshank. But it was the "Detroit Superstar" who would draw first blood with a spinning backfist that hurt his opponent. Cruickshank then sent Martinez backpedaling to the cage with a well-placed body kick, and all at once, it looked like the fight might be over.

Cruickshank unloaded kick after kick on his hapless opponent, and yet the referee did not step in. Martinez recovered, and the two reset.

Still looking for the counter, Cruickshank again put Martinez with a huge head kick, but got a little too highlight-reel happy finish. Although wobbled, Martinez managed to survive through another onslaught and traded punches with his opponent to close out the round.

Cruickshank looked to be tiring by the end of the first.

Martinez wasted no time shooting for the takedown at the start of the second, and the two repeated the fight's opening sequence. This time, though Cruickshank escaped and landed a nice knee to the body, after which he reset.

Martinez continued to chase, and Cruickshank repaid him with straight rights. Lacking length, Martinez had a hard time getting past the end of Cruickshank's punches.

By mid-round, both fighters were noticeably heavier. Martinez's left eye was rapidly shut, which didn't help him see a head kick that came following a lull in action and knocked him out cold.

"I saw in his previous fights that he was susceptible to body kicks and I thought if I landed them that I’d be able to stop him," Cruickshank said. "My favorite fights are the ones where guys come right at me, and that’s what Martinez did. He’s a super tough guy and he was able to endure a lot. Your next fight is always your most important, and I’m looking forward to whatever that will be."

Cruickshank (12-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC), who now boasts six straight wins including two inside the octagon, backflipped in the octagon to celebrate. The official time of the stoppage was 2:57 of the second round. Martinez (9-3 MMA, 1-2 UFC) drops to 1-2 in the UFC following a split call over Bernardo Magalhaes at UFC on FX 3.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-on-fox-5-results-daron-cruickshank-vs-henry-martinez

Post subject: Jessica Eye Chokes Out Zoila Gurgel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Bellator 83 Results: Main Event Cancelled, Jessica Eye Chokes Out Zoila Gurgel

Bellator 83 was a night of strange occurrences with the main event being cancelled and a champion and a former champion going down in defeat.

The main event for the card were the featherweight tournament finals pitting Rad Martinez against Shahbulat Shamhalaev, but they didn’t end up fighting and instead will meet next weekend at Bellator 84 instead.

Shamhalaev came down with a case of food poisoning and after vomiting twice in the back while preparing for action, New Jersey State Athletic Commission officials deemed him unable to perform. Shamhalaev was pulled from the card, and will now wait 7 days to face Martinez instead.

In other action, former Bellator bantamweight champion Zack Makovski looked to get back on track after losing his belt to current champion Eduardo Dantas back in April.

Anthony Leone had other plans however, and ended up getting the best of Makovski, winning a split decision over three rounds.

Leone remained the aggressor throughout all three rounds, and even ended up on top position on a couple different occasions against Makovsky, who was the more experienced wrestler heading into the fight. The final scores read 29-28, 29-28 and 28-29 with two judges giving the nod to Leone for the win.

Makovsky has now dropped two fights in a row, and looks to find his footing in the Bellator bantamweight division.

In possibly the biggest shocker of the evening however, Bellator women’s champion Zoila Gurgel was stopped in her tracks by fellow Ohio fighter Jessica Eye during their bout to kick off the televised broadcast on MTV2.

Within seconds of the opening of the fight, Eye jumped into an exchange with Gurgel, and clipped her with a short punch that dropped the Bellator champ to the ground.

Gurgel survived but was on defense for the remainder of the fight as Eye swarmed her with punches before grabbing for the clinch, and wrapping up an arm triangle choke while standing.

Eye tightened her grip as Gurgel struggled to get free, but within moments the champion’s arm went limp and the referee was stopping the fight.

Jessica Eye picks up the biggest win of her career, while Zoila Gurgel looks to find the answers that handed her only the second loss of her pro career, her first since a 2010 defeat to Miesha Tate in Strikeforce.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/bellator-83-results-main-event-cancelled-jessica-eye-chokes-out-zoila-gurgel

Post subject: Bellator Lands On Thursday Nights On Spike TV
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:04 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Bellator Lands On Thursday Nights On Spike TV; Kicking Off Move With Back-To-Back Stacked Cards

It’s not secret that Bellator Fighting Championships is making a big move to start off 2013, switching from MTV2 over to Spike TV, the network that launched The Ultimate Fighter.

Bellator and Spike TV officials on Tuesday finally started to flesh out the details, however, revealing some key information for fans that are looking forward to tuning in.

Bellator’s 12-week season eight launches on Spike TV on Thursday, Jan. 17, at 10 p.m. ET. The Thursday night, 10 p.m. ET slot will be the promotion’s home for the duration of the season.

Past season’s have competed directly with several other MMA events, primarily the UFC and Strikeforce, by airing on Friday or Saturday nights. That made for stiff competition and tough timeslot for television

The Thursday night slot also avoids direct conflict with the UFC’s Ultimate Fighter series, which is moving to Tuesday night’s on FX in January.

Bellator kicks off its run on Spike in a big way, leading off its Jan. 17 Bellator 85 broadcast with a featherweight title fight between champion Pat Curran and Patricio “Pitbull” Freire and headlining the card with another title bout. Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler puts his belt on the line, when he squares off against tournament winner Rick Hawn. UFC veteran Renato “Babalu” Sobral will also make his promotional debut on the card, facing Mikhail Zayats in one of the first Season 8 light heavyweight tournament quarterfinal bouts.

The promotion’s second effort on Spike, Bellator 86, is just as ambitious, obviously trying to get some momentum right out of the gate.

Welterweight champion Ben Askren defends his title against Karl Amoussou, and also features the Bellator debut of Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal, a fighter that the promotion and Spike officials are banking on for cross-promotional success between Bellator and TNA’s Impact Wrestling.

The weekly events will air live at 10 p.m. ET on the East Coast via cable providers, but will be tape delayed until 10 p.m. PT on the West Coast. For those customers that get Spike TV via a satellite provider, the events will air live across the country since satellite providers pick up the East Coast feed.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/bellator-lands-on-thursday-nights-on-spike-tv-kicking-off-move-with-back-to-back-stacked-cards

Post subject: Alexander Shlemenko vs. Maiquel Falcao
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:11 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Bellator 88 Features Alexander Shlemenko vs. Maiquel Falcao For Vacant Middleweight Title

Bellator is moving to Spike TV in January, and they’re not wasting any time trying to make a splash at their new TV home.

The promotion already announced two title bouts for its inaugural show on the new network, and revealed that its follow-up effort will also be headlined by a title bout.

Bellator will follow the opening salvo with a fourth title bout between Russian knockout artist Alexander Shlemenko and dominating Brazilian Maiquel Falcao. Bellator 88 on Feb. 7 features the two squaring off for the middleweight championship vacated by current UFC fighter Hector Lombard.

Bellator 88 takes place at The Arena at Gwinnet Center in Duluth, Ga.

Aside from the middleweight title fight, the night will also feature the opening round of Bellator’s next featherweight tournament, as well as a preliminary card that will be streamed exclusively on Spike.com.

After successfully winning his second Bellator middleweight tournament in 2011, Shlemenko has his sights set on one thing: The Bellator Middleweight World Championship. Currently riding a nine fight win streak and holding an incredible 46-7 record, Shlemenko knows his Feb. 7 fight will be the biggest of his career.

“It was a long path for me,” Shlemenko said. “It doesn’t matter whom I will face to get my title, Falcao, or anyone else. I will smash my opponent, and win the title, because I have my country behind me. I’m fighting for the honor of Russia, and I’m glad that the audience on Spike TV in and on Russia 2 will be able to watch my fight live!”

“Big Rig” enters the fight after three dominating tournament victories inside the Bellator cage and continues training under the tutelage of head trainer and Luta Livre practitioner Marcelo Brigadeiro in Brazil. After competing in organizations across the world, Falcao knows he has found a home in Bellator and is hoping to etch his name into the Bellator history books on Feb. 7 from The Arena at Gwinnett Center.

“I’ve had my sights set on the Bellator middleweight title for a long time,” Falcao said. “Bellator is my home, and nothing would make me happier to see my championship banner hanging in the rafters, and beating Shlemenko for the title.”

“Shlemenko vs. Falcao is a spectacular world title fight. If you like fights, this one has fight of the year written all over it,” said Bellator Chairman & CEO Bjorn Rebney. “With 50 knockouts between the two, Feb. 7 should be absolute fireworks from The Arena at Gwinnett Center and on Spike TV.”

Tickets for the event are on sale now and can be purchased at Ticketmaster.com or by visiting The Arena at Gwinnett Center Box Office. The event will broadcast live starting at 10 p.m. EST on Spike, as well as in Spanish language on mun2. The preliminary card will be streamed live and free on Spike.com starting at 8 p.m. EST.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/bellator-88-features-alexander-shlemenko-vs-maiquel-falcao-for-vacant-middleweight-title

Post subject: Tyron Woodley On His Future
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:14 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Tyron Woodley On His Future As Well As Training BJ Penn For Rory MacDonald

Post subject: Mark Hominick Retires From Mixed Martial Arts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:17 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Following more than 30 fights in his pro career including seven inside the UFC, featherweight contender Mark Hominick has announced his retirement from fighting.

The Canadian made the announcement via UFC Tonight on Tuesday.

“Over the last 11 years, I’ve followed my passion in the UFC. Now, I’ll say UFC 154 was my last fight in the Octagon as I’m retiring and moving on to next phase of my career. I have a young daughter at home and another on the way. I’ll always be involved in the sport. But I know the commitment I have to make. I have to make a commitment to this as I have to fighting in the past.” said Hominick.

Throughout his career, Hominick was always known as one of the most exciting fighters in the sport with knockout power and a surprising submission game.

His career took a rough turn over the last year and a half with Hominick losing his final four fights inside the Octagon, most recently dropping a decision to Pablo Garza at UFC 154.

Regardless of record, Hominick remained one of the most popular fighters in his home country of Canada, as well as one of the top featherweight draws in the sport.

Recently, Hominick has taken on a more prominent role as coach for his team in Canada after the passing of his close friend and former teacher Shawn Tompkins.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/mark-hominick-retires-from-mixed-martial-arts

Post subject: Dana White Believes B.J. Penn Will Probably Retire
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:20 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Dana White Believes B.J. Penn Will Probably Retire From MMA

It’s not the way he wanted it to go, but Saturday night may have marked the last appearance for B.J. Penn inside the UFC Octagon.

Penn lost a one-sided unanimous decision to Canadian young gun Rory MacDonald, which marks his second loss in a row and moves his record to 1-4-1 over his last six fights.

The Hawaiian came back after more than a year away from fighting when he announced his retirement in 2011 following a loss to Nick Diaz at UFC 137.

Now with the loss to MacDonald in the books, UFC President Dana White believes Penn has done all he needs to do in MMA and the UFC, and it’s time to call it a career.

“He didn’t say it tonight, but I think B.J. is probably going to retire, and I wouldn’t mind seeing that. He came back with a fire lit under him. That kid looked so good tonight, Rory looked better than he’s ever looked, the body punches that he threw, you don’t see body punches like that in mixed martial arts. He really put it to B.J. tonight,” White said when speaking with Fuel TV.

Despite taking a massive amount of punishment throughout the 15-minute affair, Penn stuck through it all and never gave up despite MacDonald’s best efforts to finish the fight. Penn showed a ton of heart and toughness, but it wasn’t enough to win or stay competitive against MacDonald on Saturday.

“B.J. is a warrior, talk about a guy that doesn’t give up, and doesn’t quit and just keeps coming. I have so much respect for B.J., I always have, even through the good times and the bad times. I’d like to see him retire,” said White.

Fighting in the UFC since 2001, Penn has been a major part of the organization for many years, and he will continue to work with the promotion through their joint gym venture in his home state of Hawaii.

But with that project as well as all of the other earnings he’s had over the years, Penn isn’t fighting for the money, and he’s been a two-weight class champion already, so White believes it’s just his time to walk away.

“He’s got plenty of money, he’s got a great family who loves him, he’s got babies, a beautiful wife. He’s our partner in the B.J. Penn/UFC gym, he has nothing left to prove to anybody, and everybody loves him,” White stated.

“I’d like to see B.J. retire.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-believes-b-j-penn-will-probably-retire-from-mma

Page 394 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397 ... 431  Next