It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 399 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Erik Perez Improves To 3-0 In UFC With TKO
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:29 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Erik Perez Improves To 3-0 In UFC With TKO Of Bloodworth

Make it 3-0 for Mexican mixed martial artist and luchador aficiando Erik Perez.

Perez tenderized Byron Bloodworth's flank with a well-placed knee and polished off a first-round TKO with ground and pound.

The bantamweight bout was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC 155 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and prior to the main card on pay-per-view.

After an initial skirmish of fists, the two settled against the cage, where they spent over a minute. A knee to Bloodworth's body broke the stalemate, allowing Perez to pad his stats from top position.

Pressed against the cage, Bloodworth took a flurry of elbows to the face and sustained a cut before punches sent him cowering to his side and prompted referee Kim Winslow to intervene.

The official time of the stoppage came at the 3:50 mark of the first round.

"It feels awesome to get my third UFC win in six months," Perez said. "It just makes me want to get back in the gym and keep training. It made me proud to hear all the Mexican fans and all the other UFC fans cheering for me when I walked out, and then especially when I won. I would love to make a run at the title this year, but I am happy to do whatever the UFC asks for my next fight."

Of his three UFC wins, Greg Jackson pupil Perez (13-4 MMA, 3-0 UFC) has finished all in the first round. Bloodworth (6-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) now drops to 0-2 in the octagon.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-155-results-byron-bloodworth-vs-erik-perez

Post subject: Derek Brunson Gets Past Chris Leben
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:32 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Derek Brunson Gets Past Chris Leben To Win UFC Debut

It wasn't pretty, but Derek Brunson got the job done in his octagon debut against veteran Chris Leben.

With both fighters battling empty gas tanks, Brunson's wrestling won him two of three rounds on the scorecards.

The middleweight bout opened up the main card of Saturday's UFC 155 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Brunson baited Leben with a few fast kicks and grabbed a bodylock to put the veteran on the mat. Leben scooted his legs for a submission and attempted to scramble away, but Brunson held fast.

A minute later, Brunson briefly let his opponent up, but returned to the mat moments later to threaten with an arm triangle and land elbows from top position. Leben scooted to the cage and managed to escape, but with less than a minute remaining in the first, he had little time to attack.

Leben, who returned to the octagon for the first time since serving a one-year suspension for banned substances, planted a punch on Brunson's chin to open the second, and when Brunson inevitably shot for a takedown, he resisted. But the younger fighter redoubled his efforts, and soon, he was back in prime position.

This time around, Leben found the edge of the cage sooner and stood. It was a perfect time for him to do what he does best, which is let big bombs go. But instead, it was Brunson who was the more active fighter standing, and it looked very much like the yearlong layoff robbed Leben of his stamina.

But with two minutes remaining, Brunson also looked to have lost most of his steam, and after spending most of the latter half of the round on his bicycle, he immediately took a knee at its end.

Leben chased his tired foe down from the outset of the final round and resisted an initial takedown attempt. But he couldn't stop a second one, and Brunson had plenty of time to work.

It was Leben, though, who did all of that. He fought his way back to standing and looked for big punches. Brunson covered up, though he landed a few one-two combinations.

But between Leben's wild swings and Brunson's bicycling, the audience wasn't thrilled with what they saw.

Leben spent the fight's final seconds chasing, and Brunson's scream at the bell put a lackluster affair to bed. All three judges scored the fight 29-28 for Brunson.

"I knew the type of fight I was getting myself into when I agreed to the bout," Brunson said. "Leben is an all-out slugger. I wanted to prove to myself that I could fight this guy and not just wrestle him for the victory. I wanted to go at it with him, but maintain my game plan and fight my fight. I started slowing down in the second round and I feel that's just a matter of taking the fight and training for it on such short notice. Overall, I feel like I’m getting better, but I know I have a long way to go to compete in the UFC's middleweight division."

"Hat's off to Derek," Leben said. "He beat me the only way he could. I know what a Jackson's MMA fighter's game plan was going to be, and those guys have gotten very good at it. Those guys have gotten good at punching while backing up. I let him hit me a few times so that I could counterstrike with him and get him to trade with me, but he was able to just hold me down for the majority of the fight."

Brunson (10-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) snapped a two-fight skid while Leben (22-9 MMA, 12-8 UFC) lost in his first fight back after his suspension.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-155-results-derek-brunson-vs-chris-leben

Post subject: Yushin Okami Smothers Alan Belcher
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:34 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Yushin Okami Smothers Alan Belcher, Cruises To Unanimous Nod

Alan Belcher wanted a measure of revenge against Yushin Okami from their first fight in their UFC debuts, but Okami was having none of it.

Okami dominated Belcher in the grappling department and cruised to a unanimous decision victory. The fight was a rematch from UFC 62, which Okami also won by unanimous decision.

The middleweight bout was part of the main card of Saturday's UFC 155 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

After a stalemate against the cage in the first, Belcher was able to land a trip takedown and immediately went to work on a guillotine choke. It wasn't there, and Belcher settled back in to guard.

But with Okami on top, Belcher found himself in trouble with Okami in side control, bearing down on him with his shoulders. Okami looked for a late-round choke, but it wasn't there.

Quickly in the second, Okami pushed forward with Belcher and looked to take the fight back to the ground. He did, but Belcher wound up on top, where he then pulled guard and looked for a guillotine. When the attempt failed, it was Okami again on top smothering Belcher.

With Okami seeming to control things in side control, Belcher got a gift of sorts with a referee standup thanks to what the official perceived as a lack of action. But Okami again pressed Belcher to the cage and looked for a takedown. And eventually, it was more of the same with Okami on top and Belcher trying to find a way out. With 30 seconds left, they again were stood up.

Belcher in the third, though, took the advice of his corner. HE let his hands go, and a right hand dropped Okami to the canvas. But with his back near the cage, Okami again took advantage and landed a trip takedown. But Belcher was able to land on top – and in full mount.

He took Okami's back, but Okami stood up out of it with Belcher handing on. And as he spun out of it, Belcher latched on to a standing guillotine. But he couldn't hold it and Okami got out of danger and was back on top. Okami worked his way to full mount and looked for ground and pound. He eventually got to back mount and rode out the round in dominant fashion.

"My game plan was to use all the tools that Team Quest taught me," Okami said. "The wrestling, striking and the clinch game were all successfully implemented in this fight to defeat Belcher. Belcher is a very tough opponent and I feel that a win over Belcher should allow me to keep challenging more of the top guys in the middleweight division."

Okami (28-7 MMA, 12-4 UFC) won for the second straight time after a two-fight skid that included a loss to middleweight champ Anderson Silva in a title fight in 2011. Belcher (18-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) had his four-fight win streak – all stoppage victories – snapped.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-155-results-alan-belcher-vs-yushin-okami

Post subject: Constantinos Philippou Bloodies Tim Boetsch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:36 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Constantinos Philippou Bloodies Tim Boetsch In TKO victory

Constantinos Philippou seized upon the wounded Tim Boetsch to secure his fifth consecutive win in the UFC.

After a strong first round, Boetsch quickly expired with a cut and an accidental eyepoke.

The middleweight bout was part of the main card of Saturday's UFC 155 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Boetsch wasted little time clinching with Philippou and secured a takedown after a short struggle. Unfortunately for him, Philippou popped up and resisted another attempt.

In center-cage, however, both men struggled to damage each other. An uppercut briefly halted Boetsch's forward assault, but when Philippou planted again, he executed an easy takedown. Unable to do anything with the position, referee Kim Winslow stood them up.

Boetsch made the most of his freedom, landing a front kick that dropped Philippou at the bell.

Between rounds, Boetsch trainer Matt Hume could be heard advising his fighter before an unknown condition became worse.

Boetsch quickly closed the distance in the second and attempted to work knees on the fence. Unsuccessful, he allowed Philippou time to score punches. A cut on his forehead began to bleed.

Attempting to take the fight to the mat, Boetsch took a poke to the eye.

Upon the rester, Philippou came out swinging, and Boetsch again pressed for a takedown. Finally, he slid onto his back as blows rained down from half-guard.

Whatever ailment Boetsch was dealing with, it appeared to be sapping his ability to perform.

Perhaps sensing a wounded animal before him, Philippou advanced to start the third and sprawled on a takedown attempt implored by Hume. Again, Boetsch went to his back.

The trickle of blood from Boetsch's forehead turned into a river, meanwhile.

After two more failed takedown attempts, Philippou seized the day with a flurry of hammerfists that forced Winslow to intervene at the 2:11 mark of the third.

Philippou (12-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC), who replaced an injured Chris Weidman, now steals the momentum of Boetsch (16-5 MMA, 7-4 UFC), who with a win would have seized a position near the top of the middleweight division.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-155-results-tim-boetsch-vs-constantinos-philippou

Post subject: Re: UFC THREAD & EVERYTHING MMA-RELATED
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:53 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

dude, is this 400 pages of you talking to yourself? You're fuckin crazy man.

Post subject: Re: UFC THREAD & EVERYTHING MMA-RELATED
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:22 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Yo Jimi man. go find a date bro.

Post subject: Anderson Silva Looking At Three More Title Defenses
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Anderson Silva Looking At Three More Title Defenses Then GSP & Jon Jones Superfights

Anderson Silva will sign a new 10-fight deal with the UFC that will likely carry him through the end of his fighting career, and he’s got big things in store before he retires.

Already standing as the longest reigning champion in UFC history with more title defenses than any titleholder, Silva signs this new deal with a few objectives in mind.

Of course, he will defend his middleweight title a few more times as contenders continue to present themselves atop the division.

The name currently most likely to land a shot at Silva next is Michael Bisping, if he can defeat Vitor Belfort at UFC on FX 7. Then there’s Chris Weidman, who is currently sidelined after having shoulder surgery, but if he returns to form and picks up a win, he’d likely get a shot at Silva as well.

Then of course there are the superfights that have always loomed overhead for Silva.

UFC president Dana White says they have some ideas in mind and of course so does Anderson Silva in terms of what fights make the most sense for him as he tries to solidify his legacy as the greatest fighter to ever step foot inside an MMA cage or ring.

One of those fights could finally be the match-up with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.

“There’s probably three fights out there for him at 85, then Georges (St-Pierre) will have a few more fights under his belt cause the guy’s been out such a long time. Cause before he blew his knee out, he was ready to roll,” White revealed when speaking about the potential Silva vs. GSP superfight.

An Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre superfight would likely be the biggest fight in UFC history both in terms of live attendance and pay-per-view revenue. If there was a fight that could top even that, it also involves Anderson Silva in a superfight, this time against current light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

Silva and Jones have danced around with the idea of fighting each other at some point, and White says that bout is potentially about three fights away from happening.

“It makes sense if you think about it. It would be almost a year and a half,” White said on Saturday about the superfight.

Whatever happens in the next two years will be very interesting as Anderson Silva looks to put on the final touches of his MMA masterpiece.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anderson-silva-looking-at-three-more-title-defenses-then-gsp-jon-jones-superfights

Post subject: Liz Carmouche On Getting Pretty
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC's Liz Carmouche On Getting Pretty + Not Getting Arm Barred By Rousey

Post subject: UFC Not Sure When Mike Goldberg Will Return
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:43 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC Not Sure When Mike Goldberg Will Return To Broadcast Team

It appears Jon Anik will be on call for the foreseeable future as the play-by-play man for the UFC with regular broadcaster Mike Goldberg taking a break.

UFC 155 ended up with a late change in the broadcast booth instead of the Octagon with Goldberg out of action, and fellow play-by-play man Jon Anik stepping in to fill the role alongside color commentator Joe Rogan.

UFC president Dana White didn’t embellish much when asked about when Goldberg could return to the broadcast booth, but it looks like he’s going to be off for a little while dealing with personal issues.

“Goldie’s out for a while and I don’t know when he’ll be back,” White said on Saturday.

Mike Goldberg has been the regular play-by-play announcer for the UFC for many years, and has also called college football and hockey for much of his broadcast life.

It was only in 2011 that the UFC hired Anik after a stint at ESPN to work play-by-play for the promotion in their ever expanding show schedule. Anik typically works alongside former UFC contender Kenny Florian covering the UFC broadcasts on FX and Fuel TV.

Anik stepped in and covered UFC 155 with Rogan, and the next major UFC card goes down on Jan 19 in Brazil, which is UFC on FX 7 that Anik will work with Florian.

It’s unknown at this time if Goldberg could potentially return for the UFC on Fox 6 show in Chicago in late January or if Anik will continue to fill his role while he’s out.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-not-sure-when-mike-goldberg-will-return-to-broadcast-team

Post subject: Dana White Remains Undecided
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:53 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Dana White Remains Undecided If Josh Barnett Will Come To The UFC Or Not

It’s been more than 10 years since Josh Barnett last stepped foot in the UFC Octagon, but following his last fight in Strikeforce in January, he could potentially have the chance to return.

The key word is “potentially” because nothing is signed, sealed or delivered at this point in terms of Barnett’s future with Zuffa.

Barnett faces relative unknown Nandor Guelmino at the final Strikeforce show on Jan 12, but then his contractual future remains a mystery.

It’s no secret that Barnett and UFC President Dana White have had a tumultuous relationship in the past, and as of right now there’s no word on if the former UFC heavyweight champion will get a second shot at fighting in the promotion or not.

“I don’t know, we’ll find out soon though. We’ll see,” White said about Barnett’s future.

While they don’t necessarily have to be best friends to work together, White is still unsure that he’s willing to bring Barnett into the organization after January.

Friends or not, White does respect Barnett’s fighting skills, and says that when Daniel Cormier beat him earlier in 2012, that was a big win for the former Olympian.

” What I said was true, the fact that (Daniel Cormier) beat Josh Barnett, that really means something, that’s a big deal,” White said.

It remains to be seen however if Barnett’s future lies in the UFC Octagon or elsewhere after Jan 12 passes.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-remains-undecided-if-josh-barnett-will-come-to-the-ufc-or-not

Post subject: 'Babalu' Ready For Bellator's Unique Bracket Challenge
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:00 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Tournament Trailblazer 'Babalu' Ready For Bellator's Unique Bracket Challenge

Renato "Babalu" Sobral is no stranger to the tournament format.

During a lengthy and illustrious pro career that began way back in 1997, the 37-year-old Brazilian has fought in seven same-night tournaments. He's won five of them, including an "IFC: Global Domination" tourney in 2003 in which he defeated Trevor Prangley, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Jeremy Horn in a single evening.

But he said Bellator's upcoming Season 8 light-heavyweight tournament, in which he's one of eight competitors, presents unique challenges.

The tournament kicks off at Bellator 85 on Jan 17, when Sobral (37-9 MMA, 0-0 BFC) meets M-1 vet Mikhail Zayats (19-6 MMA, 0-0 BFC) in an opening-round matchup. Unlike past tournament gigs, though, Sobral gets a month or so off between fights, assuming he advances.

In some ways, that's a positive. In other ways, though, he said it can be a drawback.

"A tournament like this ... is a new thing for me," he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I'm very excited about this because fighting in one night, you don't feel much. You go into one fight and then another fight.

"But if you fight and then you go home and cool down, the swelling goes up. Then you have to go back and train again, and then there's a fight six weeks after. That's a new thing for me."

With 46 official pro bouts on his ledger, 10 fights in the UFC, a Strikeforce title reign, tens of thousands of miles traveled, and legendary fights against some of the sport's biggest names, Sobral's body doesn't recover like it used to. But for a guy who once fought nine rounds and more than 43 minutes in a single night, the Bellator setup should be nothing too surprising.

Additionally, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt said his wrestling- and grappling-based style suits him well for the rigors of the three-month tournament.

"Jiu-jitsu is big in tournaments – not just because you have to win, but you have to win without getting hurt too much," he said. "So you're always thinking ahead. There's a very thin line between giving a show and winning a tournament. With a tournament, you have to save yourself for the next round.

"My expectations with this (tournament) is that I need to use my experience in this. I think I'm going to have an advantage with this. I think my experience is going to help me."

Sobral, who operates Babalu's Iron Gym in California, also frequents Kings MMA and Reign Training Center. All are within spitting distance of Bellator 85's host site: Bren Center in Irvine.

So in addition to his tournament friendly style and years of experience, Sobral said he's going to have a home-field advantage.

"This thing couldn't be much better for me," he said. "I'll have my gym, friends, family and teammates there. It's 15 minutes from my house."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/01/tournament-trailblazer-babalu-ready-for-bellators-unique-bracket-challenge

Post subject: Vancouver's Bibiano Fernandes vs. Yoshiro Maeda
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:10 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Vancouver's Bibiano Fernandes vs. Yoshiro Maeda Full Fight Video

Post subject: Melvin Manhoef vs. Dennis Kang Full Fight Video
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Post subject: Shinya Aoki vs. Antonio McKee Full Fight Video
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:19 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Post subject: The MMA Beat - Episode 7
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:21 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Page 399 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 396, 397, 398, 399, 400, 401, 402 ... 431  Next