It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 410 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Bellator's Value Lies In Its Eye Toward MMA's Future
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:00 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Frank Shamrock Says Bellator's Value Lies In Its Eye Toward MMA's Future

Frank Shamrock said he is where he is because he chose his own destiny.

Agreeing to fight Tito Ortiz inside the circa-1999 octagon, he took a step that would forever change his life.

Shamrock (23-10-2), who took the belt from Ortiz and then walked away from the sport, told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) that he hasn't coached for years. But he agreed to shepherd fighters on Bellator MMA's new reality show because he sees the promotion promotes the way he lived.

"Bellator's got the past and future in mind," Shamrock said. "That's why I'm here. Otherwise, I'd be at home on my couch."

Shamrock joins Randy Couture, Greg Jackson and Joe Warren on the inaugural season of the show, which begins filming this weekend in New Orleans and airs later this year on Spike TV. Thirty-two welterweights, experienced and new, will compete for a spot on the promotion's fall tournament, which pays out $100,000 to its winner.

The coaches will guide four squads of four men apiece following elimination-round fights. Spike executives said a large part of the show's appeal will come from the interplay between coaches and fighters, who are allowed to choose who they fight in two-round professional bouts.

Shamrock's last high profile coaching gig came in 2006, when he led a squad of up-and-comers in the defunct International Fight League.

But while there's plenty of competition to be had, there's also a branding opportunity for the fighter, who segued into commentary after going 1-3 in his last four fights.

"I'm in the TV business – I get that," said Shamrock, who was on the first team for the now-defunct Strikeforce promotion before UFC parent Zuffa folded the company this past month.

But Shamrock, who fought sporadically after beating Ortiz, also believes it's his job to steer the sport away from its current course, which he said favors controversy over worth. A longtime critic of UFC President Dana White, he said tournament formats do a better job of building interest than superfights, which place more emphasis on out-of-the-cage promotion.

"We've sucked all the juice out of these fans," Shamrock said. "They've got to cough up $50 every time to watch a bunch of guys fighting that, 'Why are they fighting again?' Because Dana said they could and so-and-so had a big mouth.

"There's nothing that says if I try hard and live the martial arts lifestyle, I'm going to get to here. Right now, it's finding a gimmick. There's nothing that speaks to our past and our future."

Shamrock saw through one gimmick when reality show was met with hostility by his chief antagonist, White, who blasted Couture's move to Spike after serving as a UFC analyst on FOX.

"The best part about him is he's consistent," Shamrock said of the UFC president. "You can always rely on him for consistent media, and you can always rely on him to be angry. And I bank on it. When I do deals, I go, 'Oh, don't worry about it. I can get Dana to say whatever I want.' It's wonderful.

"I think it's shortsighted and immature of him (toward Couture), but if that's the way he wants to run his company, and that's the way he wants to build his brand, I think we're OK with it."

Shamrock also wasn't bothered by the thought that White would try to erase him from the UFC history books, as the executive largely did when their relationship soured almost immediately after the promotion was purchased by Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta in 2001.

"I don't feel much about it," Shamrock said. "It was my personal journey. I love the sport because of what it gave to me personally. That's all that mattered to me. I came out of it healthy and a good person. If we can get anybody else on that journey, that's more than enough for me.

"My ego's fine. I've got more than enough money, belts, and all that stuff. What I want is to help this community, because if you're not helping people and you're just taking from them, eventually people will wear down and not be real supporters any more."

Bellator's move to Spike TV comes at a crucial moment for the sport, which has seen reality show tournaments stagnate. "The Ultimate Fighter," which features a group of vets and newcomers competing in a tourney for an octagon contract, is up slightly in its 17th season, but although it continues to perform strongly in young male demographics, its overall viewership is down.

"We need more depth," Shamrock said. "We need more human interest in a person. We can't get it in a big superfight. It doesn't work. For me, I want to hear how the guy struggled, I want to hear how he got hurt and recovered, and I want to see the process. Otherwise, I turn on the fights, I go, 'Eh, that guy,' and then I turn him off. Then Dana comes out and yells and screams, and why would I want to be assaulted by that?"

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/frank-shamrock-says-bellators-value-lies-in-its-eye-toward-mmas-future

Post subject: Robert Drysdale vs. D.J. Linderman
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:04 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Robert Drysdale vs. D.J. Linderman Added To April's Legacy FC 19 Event In Texas

A light heavyweight matchup between submission ace Robert Drysdale (5-0) and multi-division contender D.J. Linderman (13-4) will serve as the co-main event of April's Legacy FC 19 event.

MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the new bout with promotion officials.

Additionally, Rey Trujillo (13-10) steps in for an injured Junior Assuncao and will now face Chris Jones (7-1) in a featherweight matchup. Assuncao is expected to be booked for a future Legacy FC event.

Featuring champion Will Campuzano vs. Alan Nascimento for the promotion's flyweight title, Legacy FC 19 takes place April 12 at Allen Event Center in Allen, Texas, and the main card airs on AXS TV.

Drysdale, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and 2007 Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championship open division winner, has long served as an instructor for many top mixed-martial-artists and 2010 decided to make his own go as a fighter. The result has been five-straight submission wins, all coming in the first round.

Meanwhile, "Da Protege" does Mohammed "King Mo" Lawal proud as a moneyweight fighter who bounces back and forth between heavyweight and 205 pounds as fights are available. He appeared most recently at November's World Series of Fighting 1 where he suffered a first-round knockout to UFC veteran Anthony Johnson following an odd sequence where "Rumble" appeared to have been poked in the eye but then delivered a massive punch as Linderman moved in to continue the action.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/robert-drysdale-vs-d-j-linderman-added-to-aprils-legacy-fc-19-event-in-texas

Post subject: Randy Couture: My Deal Is With Spike TV, Not Bellator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:07 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Randy Couture: My Deal Is With Spike TV, Not Bellator; That’s Maybe Lost On Dana White

Randy Couture’s deal is with Spike TV, not Bellator MMA.

Many people share the misconception that Randy Couture has cut a deal with Bellator MMA. He has not.

The UFC Hall of Famer’s contract is with Spike TV, and just happens to include being a coach on the “Fight Master: Bellator MMA” reality show. In fact, all of the coaches’ deals are with Spike TV.

“I have to clarify that because my deal is with Spike. It’s for TV shows, both scripted and unscripted potential shows. I’ve never been to Bellator. That was the first time I’ve ever met Bjorn (Rebney), was at the press conference, so I’m not involved in any way, shape, or form with Bellator, just to clarify that,” Couture told Knockout Radio, an MMAWeekly.com official content partner.

“My deal is to train athletes for this reality show that will get the opportunity to fight in the tournament for Bellator, and that’s about the extent of my commitment, at least at this stage of things, with the organization and the promotion of Bellator,” Couture added.

“I think that is a distinction that is largely misunderstood and maybe lost on Dana (White). He’s not one for details. But at the end of the day, that’s the reality of it.”

For Couture, the Spike TV deal is an opportunity to pursue his acting career and expand the reach of his brand, as well as mentoring young fighters.

“I think there are some opportunities for some scripted series. Spike wants to develop some new stuff that’s their own, their own cable-type shows. You’ve seen FX and a lot of other places that are developing those types of things: The Walking Dead, Justified. There’s a ton of shows like that out there that are scripted television that are fun. I enjoy a lot of those shows, so if I get the opportunity to continue to refine and hone my acting skills in that type of setting, it would be crazy for me not to get on board and be part of it,” he said.

UFC president Dana White was not happy with the way Couture handled his transition from the UFC to Spike TV, but Couture and Spike TV knew it would be this way going into the deal.

“I think they understood when they came to me and asked me to get involved in this what it meant to me and what kind of trouble we were in for and what I was in for with regards to Zuffa and Dana. They had a longstanding, six-and-a-half year relationship with Dana. They know Dana as well as anybody.

“I think they’ve respected that. They’ve stepped up with the offer they made me and the commitment they made to me is genuine and very solid,” said Couture. “So I’m happy to be involved.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/randy-couture-my-deal-is-with-spike-tv-not-bellator-thats-maybe-lost-on-dana-white

Post subject: Fighter Turns Gumby After He Gets Knocked Out
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Post subject: Kaufman-Smith Added To Invicta FC 5
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Kaufman-Smith, Nunes-Young, Hyatt-Cive Added To Invicta FC 5

The next Invicta card continues to take shape with the announcement of several fights, including another title bout.

Made official was Barb Honchak (7-2) vs. Vanessa Porto (15-5) for the promotion's 125-pound title; plus, former Strikeforce champ Sarah Kaufman (15-2) takes on Leslie Smith (5-2-1); Amanda Nunes (7-3) will face Kaitlin Young (7-7); and Bec Hyatt (4-2) takes on Jasminka Cive (5-0). Invicta officials recently announced the four fights.

Invicta FC 5 takes place April 5, likely in Kansas City, Mo., and will be headlined by a 105-pound title fight between Jessica Penne and Michelle Waterson.

Kaufman will look to rebound from her August loss for the Strikeforce women's bantamweight title to champion Ronda Rousey, who now is in the UFC headlining a pay-per-view later this month in California. Before her loss to Rousey, Kaufman's only setback came when she lost her Strikeforce belt to Marloes Coenen in October 2010. Smith is 2-0-1 under the Invicta banner. After a draw with Young at Invicta FC 1, she stopped her with a second-round TKO in their rematch at Invicta FC 3. And at Invicta FC 4 this past month, she outpointed Raquel Pennington.

Nunes is looking to get back on track after losses in two of her past three fights. At Invicta FC 4, she was outpointed by D'Alelio. She beat Raquel Pa'aluhi at Invicta FC 2, but that came after seeing a six-fight win streak snapped with a TKO loss to Alexis Davis in Strikeforce. Young has dropped back-to-back fights after her draw with Smith. At Invicta FC 2, she was submitted by Carmouche in the second round. At Invicta FC 3, she was stopped by Smith in the rematch from their draw this past April. Her resume, however, includes wins over Miesha Tate and Julie Kedzie.

Hyatt made her Invicta debut this past month and lost a five-round unanimous decision title fight to Carla Esparza, who became the promotion's 125-pound champion with the win. The loss snapped a four-fight win streak for "Rowdy," a streak that included three stoppages. Cive brings her unbeaten record to the States from Austria, and she has all five of her wins by stoppage, including four knockouts.

Honchak has been on a tear since 2011, starting with a unanimous decision win over Felice Herrig for the Indiana-based Hoosier Fight Club promotion. Starting with that win, the Missouri-based fighter has won six straight, including back-to-back wins for Invicta. Along with Herrig, notable wins on her resume during the streak include Roxanne Madafferi and Aisling Daley. Porto has won five of her past six. Her lone loss in that stretch came to Sarah D'Alelio at Invicta FC 2. But she rebounded in October at Invicta FC 3 with a unanimous decision win over Tara LaRosa.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/honchak-porto-kaufman-smith-nunes-young-hyatt-cive-added-to-invicta-fc-5

Post subject: Anthony Pettis Granted Shot At UFC Featherweight Champ
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Carpe Diem! Anthony Pettis Granted Shot At UFC Featherweight Champ Jose Aldo

Ask and ye shall receive.

That’s what Anthony Pettis did – he asked for a chance to drop to featherweight and challenge Jose Aldo for the UFC belt – and he was answered with a resounding, “Yes!”

As soon as Aldo stepped out of the Octagon after defeating Frankie Edgar at UFC 156 on Saturday night, Pettis sent a text message to UFC president Dana White saying he didn’t want to wait around for his promised lightweight title shot, he wanted to drop down and challenge Aldo.

White mentioned Pettis’ intentions during the UFC 156 post-fight press conference, where it was immediately apparent that he was more than receptive to the idea. He had the Cheshire grin of his beaming from ear to ear.

By Monday, White told USA Today, the fight was made for Aug. 3. The location is yet to be determined, but the UFC president said the main locations under consideration are Texas, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Rio de Jeneiro.

“Two of the baddest dudes in the fight business are going to fight at 145 pounds,” White said. “These guys are two of the most amazing, gravity-defying athletes in the sport. I am so pumped for this fight.”

Chan Sung Jung and Ricardo Lamas were both crashing down the door for a shot at Aldo. Jung is on a three-fight winning streak, defeating the likes of Leonard Garcia, Mark Hominick and Dustin Poirer; while Lamas has done him one better since dropping to featherweight. He has strung together victories over Matt Grice, Cub Swanson, Hatsu Hioki and Erik Koch.

Jung, however, is expected to be on the sidelines for several more months recuperating from a torn rotator cuff.

Lamas is a reasonable choice, and the worthy No. 1 contender, but much like Chris Weidman at middleweight, gets docked points for not carrying enough name value. Like it or not, mixed martial arts is big business as well as sport, so name value and being able to sell the fight to fans factors into match-ups.

There is a reason that the UFC opted to insert light heavyweight champ Jon Jones and failed middleweight contender Chael Sonnen as Ultimate Fighter coaches and have them fight at UFC 159 in April… the fight sells and sells big.

Aldo’s most recent fight was against Frankie Edgar, who was making his featherweight debut, but jumped to the front of the line because he was the former lightweight champion, is considered one of the top pound-for-pound fighters around, and it allowed the UFC to bill the bout as a superfight.

Anthony Pettis was the final WEC lightweight champion and has worked his way up to being the No. 1 UFC lightweight contender, most recently knocking out Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone. He had been waiting for champion Benson Henderson, the man he defeated for the WEC belt, to square off with final Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez, but saw the writing on the wall with fights like Jones vs. Sonnen and Aldo vs. Edgar, and seized the moment.

He’ll drop to featherweight for the first time in order to fight Aldo.

White and the UFC brass jumped at the fight, which gives Aldo’s next defense much more splash than Lamas could provide, worthy contender or not.

So now, Pettis finally gets a crack at the UFC title, albeit a completely different one than he had initially been aiming for.

Carpe diem, Anthony Pettis, carpe diem.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/carpe-diem-anthony-pettis-granted-shot-at-ufc-featherweight-champ-jose-aldo

Post subject: Cain Velasquez Doesn’t Know Who Is Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC Champ Cain Velasquez Doesn’t Know Who Is Next, Only That It Won’t Be Daniel Cormier

It’s unclear who is next for UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, but after Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva destroyed Alistair Overeem at UFC 156, he could be in for a rematch a little sooner than most of us expected.

“Going into (Overeem vs. Silva), we talked about if Alistair Overeem won,” said UFC president Dana White during the UFC 156 post-fight press conference. (Silva) and Cain Velasquez just fought recently, but I’m telling you, the way that he looked in this fight, what he did to Alistair, maybe we do this fight again.”

Velasquez hasn’t been told yet that Silva is next, and seems uncertain on who deserves a shot at his belt, but he’ll be ready no matter who gets the call.

“The UFC will decide on something and I’m sure it will turn out good,” Velasquez said on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight. “I’m okay waiting. Keep staying sharp; keep training.”

The champ doesn’t know what’s next, but he does know that he’d like to step back in the Octagon sometime this summer. He also knows that there is one recent addition to the UFC roster that he is unwilling to fight.

“I would not fight (Daniel Cormier),” Velasquez declared. “He’s my coach, teammate, and friend.”

While Silva is a consideration, Velasquez crushed him the first time they met, taking him out inside the first four minutes of the fight.

But there is no clear alternate, unless of course you ask UFC Tonight co-host Chael Sonnen.

“Bigfoot just fought and lost to Cain and it was vicious and one sided, he’s not going to be the guy to fight him again,” said Sonnen. “Insert Josh Barnett. He was UFC heavyweight champion in 2002. He left and can come back and get his belt back. He’s the guy.”

No matter what the UFC brass decides – as long as it’s not Daniel Cormier, who fights Frank Mir in April – Cain Velasquez will be ready and waiting.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-champ-cain-velasquez-doesnt-know-who-is-next-only-that-it-wont-be-daniel-cormier

Post subject: UFC On Fox 7′s UFC vs. Strikeforce Theme Boosted
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:15 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC On Fox 7′s UFC vs. Strikeforce Theme Boosted By Jorge Masvidal And Roger Bowling Debuts

The fights are coming in fast and furious this week with the UFC on Thursday confirming two new lightweight bouts for the UFC on Fox 7 fight card slated for April 20 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Keeping with the Strikeforce transfer theme, the UFC on Fox 7 undercard will feature the debuts of Strikeforce imports Roger Bowling and Jorge Masvidal.

Bowling and Masvidal have both been Strikeforce mainstays over the past couple years, although neither, and especially Masvidal, has been able to stay as busy as they’d like. That should change now that they’re under the UFC banner.

Masvidal (23-7) was getting extremely frustrated fighting for Strikeforce. After fighting three times in 2011, he has been in the cage just one time since. His only Strikeforce loss was to lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

Things won’t be easy in the transition, however, as he faces the streaking Tim Means.

Means (18-3-1) is on a nine-fight winning streak, including his first two UFC bouts, defeating Bernardo Magalhaes and Justin Salas. Just as he’ll be a tough test for Masvidal, so will Masvidal be for him.

The Masvidal vs. Means bout will set the path for the victor, as both are strongly considered potential title contenders.

Bowling (11-3) is coming off of a loss to Tarec Saffiedine, who recently captured the Strikeforce welterweight title from Nate Marquardt at the promotion’s final event. Not only will he be making his Octagon debut, Bowling will also drop to lightweight for his fight against Anthony Njokuani.

One of the hottest lightweight prospects during his WEC tenure, Njokuani (15-7) has struggled since moving over to the UFC, where his is just 2-3 in the Octagon. Coming off of a loss to Rafael dos Anjos, Njokuani needs a win in a bad way.

The UFC vs. Strikeforce them at UFC on Fox 7 is set from the top, as UFC lightweight titleholder Benson Henderson squares off with Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez in the main event in San Jose.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-7s-ufc-vs-strikeforce-theme-boosted-by-jorge-masvidal-and-roger-bowling-debuts

Post subject: Has Rashad Evans Lost His Drive?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:21 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Post subject: Dana White Has No Respect For Frank Shamrock
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

No Love Lost: Dana White Has No Respect For Frank Shamrock

Frank Shamrock has always had a turbulent relationship with the UFC since it was purchased by Zuffa, LLC in 2001.

Shamrock was the first UFC light heavyweight champion. He went undefeated in the UFC (5-0) before leaving the organization following his UFC 22 victory over Tito Ortiz. It was his fourth title defense.

Over the years, Shamrock has criticized the UFC and its president, Dana White.

The dislike is a mutual.

“Frank Shamrock is a (expletive). Frank Shamrock literally never shuts up. He’s always popping off about something. He’s always got something stupid to say,” said White following the UFC 156 post-fight press conference.

“Frank Shamrock came out with a statement the other day and wants to fight me. Give me a (expletive) break. The guy is a clown. I just have no respect for Frank Shamrock,” said White.

Shamrock joins Randy Couture, Greg Jackson, and Joe Warren as coaches on the upcoming Spike TV reality series “Fight Master: Bellator MMA.” The show is expected to debut this summer and is currently in production in Louisiana.

Shamrock never fought in the Zuffa-owned UFC.

He declined to comment on White’s statements when contacted by MMAWeekly.com.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dana-white-has-no-respect-for-frank-shamrock

Post subject: Ovince St. Preux And Gian Villante Square Off
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Strikeforce Transfers Ovince St. Preux And Gian Villante Square Off At UFC 159

UFC matchmakers Joe Silva and Sean Shelby are assimilating the Strikeforce roster as quickly as possible. The latest move is pitting two Strikeforce veterans against each other at UFC 159.

Ovince St. Preux and Gian Villante will make their Octagon debuts against one another when the UFC returns to Newark, N.J. on April 29. UFC officials on Friday confirmed verbal agreements are in place via a report by Long Island Newsday.

St. Preux (12-5) was Strikeforce’s 205-pound golden boy, rocketing towards title contention by winning his first five bouts for the promotion

Former Strikeforce and Dream champion Gegard Mousasi put an end to his title run, but proving his moxie, St. Preux bounced back by knocking out T.J. Cook late last summer.

A former Ring of Combat champion, Villante had a rougher start to his Strikeforce tenure, losing his first two bouts to Chad Griggs and Lorenz Larkin.

Like St. Preux, he didn’t stay down for long. Villante returned with a vengeance, reeling off a trifecta of victories. He has been out of action since May of last year due to Strikeforce cancelling back-to-back events and then the promotion being rolled into the UFC.

Both men have knockout power and will be looking to make a splash in their promotional debuts. This bout has the potential to be one of the sleepers on the UFC 159 undercard.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/strikeforce-transfers-st-preux-and-villante-square-off-at-ufc-159

Post subject: Chris Weidman Wants To Smash Anderson Silva
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Dana White: Chris Weidman Wants To Smash Anderson Silva In Brazil And Grant Rematch In NYC

Post subject: Ryan Couture Steps Out Of His Father’s Shadow
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Ryan Couture Steps Out Of His Father’s Shadow And Into UFC On Fuel TV 9 Against Ross Pearson

Ryan Couture finally pulls the spotlight away from his UFC Hall of Fame father, as UFC U.K. officials on Saturday announced his Octagon debut.

Couture will make his first UFC appearance against TUF 9 winner Ross Pearson in a lightweight bout at UFC on Fuel TV 9 on April 6 in Sweden.

The younger Couture has mostly stayed out of the fray between his father, Randy, and UFC president Dana White. The two MMA icons recently had a blow-up over Couture signing with Spike TV for various opportunities, one of which includes being one of the coaches – alongside Frank Shamrock, Greg Jackson, and Joe Warren – on Fight Master: Bellator MMA, Bellator’s new reality series.

As his father has stated, however, Ryan is his own man, developing his own fighting style that has carried him to a 6-1 overall professional record, all of which took place under the Strikeforce banner.

Currently on a four-fight winning streak, Ryan Couture makes the move along with most of the other Strikeforce roster into the Octagon.

His welcoming committee begins and ends with Ross Pearson (14-6).

Although Pearson won TUF 9, he’s been on a roller coaster ride over the past couple of years, going 3-3 in his last six fights, alternating between wins and losses. He’s coming off of a victory over fellow TUF The Smashes coach George Sotiropoulus and will be looking to Couture to finally build some momentum.

Swede Alexander Gustafsson headlines on his home turf for the second straight year. He’ll face another Strikeforce import, former light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi in the UFC on Fuel TV 9 main event.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ryan-couture-steps-out-of-his-fathers-shadow-and-into-ufc-on-fuel-tv-9-against-ross-pearson

Post subject: UFC vs. Strikeforce Continues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:56 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC vs. Strikeforce Continues With Francis Carmont vs. Lorenz Larkin At UFC On Fox 7

The UFC matchmakers have been busy this week, and they haven’t slowed down heading into the weekend.

The UFC on Fox 7 fight card has grown with the addition of middleweight bout between Francis Carmont and Strikeforce import Lorenz Larkin. UFC Canadian officials announced the bout late Friday night.

Georges St-Pierre teammate Francis Carmont (20-7) is in the midst of an impressive run. He has won his last nine fights, stretching all the way back to 2008. That streak includes all four UFC bouts.

Carmont is coming off of a split decision victory over Tom Lawlor at UFC 154 in Montreal. Welcoming Larkin to the UFC is also his opportunity to take another big step towards the top of the middleweight division.

Larkin brings with him to the Octagon a 13-0 record, although it’s not quite spotless.

After streaking to 12 consecutive victories, Larkin was initially handed a knockout loss by Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal. Lawal, however, failed his post-fight drug test, testing positive for Drostanolone, an anabolic steroid, and the fight was then ruled a no contest.

Larkin reclaimed his undefeated record by winning a unanimous decision over Robbie Lawler last July. He has been on the sidelines ever since, awaiting for Strikeforce’s fate to finally resolve.

It has and he is now amongst a large roster of fighters being assimilated into the UFC.

Carmont vs. Larkin will be part of the supporting cast to the UFC on Fox 7 main event that features UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson vs. Strikeforce titleholder Gilbert Melendez on April 20 in San Jose, Calif.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-vs-strikeforce-continues-with-francis-carmont-vs-lorenz-larkin-at-ufc-on-fox-7

Post subject: Cung Le Says Anderson Silva Fight A No-Go
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

New Movie Out With Hendo, Melendez & Prangley; Cung Le Says Anderson Silva Fight A No-Go

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion and current UFC star Cung Le has not only spent time building a successful MMA career, but he’s also been forging a solid movie career as well.

With one of Le’s most recent films, Dragon Eyes, set to make its premier on Cinemax on Saturday night at 10 p.m. EST, MMAWeekly.com caught up with him to discuss the movie, working with fellow MMA fighters on film, and his fighting career in 2013.

MMAWeekly.com: Firstly, Cung, tell us about Dragon Eyes and why fight fans should tune in to its premier this Saturday and check it out.

Cung Le: The storyline is like a modern day Fistful of Dollars where my character, Hong, comes in and cleans up this town, pits two gangs against each other and weeds out a corrupt cop.

The (opening fight scene) won Best Fight at the ActionFest (2012 Jury Awards), so I believe a lot of people will enjoy the action for different styles of martial arts. Every fight scene has its own flavor. We just tried to put different elements to the big screen.

MMAWeekly.com: On this film you got to work with Jean-Claude Van Damme and Robocop star Peter Weller. What was it like working with those stars?

Cung Le: Working with Jean-Claude Van Damme and Peter Weller, they’re both different personalities, but they’re both pleasant to work with and I learned a lot. Those guys have been around the business so long that it’s fun to pick their brains.

Jean-Claude Van Damme plays my mentor in the movie and we have fight scenes in jail where he’s teaching me. We start out he’s beating me up, but as I get better things evened out. It was definitely fun getting kicked by Jean-Claude Van Damme. He’s a lot of fun to work with and he definitely threw some hard kicks trying to hit me through the movie, so I’m glad my reactions and defense saved me big time.

MMAWeekly.com: How much input did you have in your fight scenes?

Cung Le: Actually, the great thing about this is that I choreographed all the fight scenes in the movie with some help with Scott Sheeley, who is my trainer. He played a Russian gangster in this movie and we had the chance to do a little fight scene. He actually helped me design some of the fights and made sure all the guys that we cast in the movie know their marks and sequences so nobody got hurt.

MMAWeekly.com: There’s also quite a few other MMA fighters in this movie.

Cung Le: Gilbert Melendez, Dan Henderson and Trevor Prangley are in the movie and they definitely played a pretty good-sized part in the movie. It was fun working with them. Dan Henderson actually hit me twice during our scenes. He said, “I pulled my punch,” but I asked, “Then why is there a big knot on my head?”

MMAWeekly.com: Dan’s still got it even when he’s not fighting, huh?

Cung Le: He’s a beast. I enjoyed working with them more than I would enjoy fighting them.

MMAWeekly.com: Let’s talk about your fight career. Recently there was some buzz about you possible returning to fight a UFC champion. Can you tell us about that?

Cung Le: A few weeks ago there was talk that Anderson Silva’s camp had interest in someone like me. It didn’t pan out, but I would have been totally excited for that. Go big or go home.

MMAWeekly.com: Rumors aside, what do you see for your fight career in 2013?

Cung Le: I’m just healing up and healing is going a lot faster than I expected. A lot of people didn’t know, but I had elbow surgery six weeks before my fight with Rich Franklin and the doctor didn’t suggest me to fight, but it was my decision, I did it and look what happened.

If a megafight came up, I would rush right back in, but right now I really don’t need to rush in to anything. I’ll just keep training and at the same time I’m trying to produce my own movie, which has some pretty good names attached to it. It’s just one day at a time, one project at a time.

MMAWeekly.com: Thank you for your time as always, Cung. Is there anything you’d like to say to our readers in closing?

Cung Le: Thanks for all the support from all the fans. I’m glad to have you guys. I work hard and push hard for the fans.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/new-movie-out-with-hendo-melendez-cung-le-says-anderson-silva-fight-a-no-go

Page 410 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413 ... 431  Next