It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 411 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Dan Hardy Says Retirement On The Horizon
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:03 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

A four-fight skid that nearly ended his UFC career also brought clarity to Dan Hardy.

Now back on the winning track, the British welterweight is planning to retire next year, if all goes well.

"I'm ready for a new challenge, I'll be honest," Hardy said. "There are a lot of things about this sport that I love, and a lot of things about this sport that I don't like at all."

Hardy declined to elaborate on his reasons for leaving and said he'll do so when he's closer to retirement.

"Martial arts for me has always been a tool to understand myself a little more, and it's getting to the stage where it's run its course now," he offered. "The structure the sport has taken on is taking away from that for me, and I think I'm best served to be somewhere else in the future."

For now, Hardy (25-10 MMA, 6-4 UFC) is focused on a fight with Matt Brown (16-11 MMA, 9-4 UFC) at UFC on FOX 7, which takes place April 20 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

"Whatever Matt can bring, I can bring it back on him tenfold and make it really rough for him," Hardy said.

The fight is the first of what Hardy hopes is a five-fight win streak ending with a defense of the UFC welterweight title, which is currently held by the man who first halted his octagon win streak, Georges St-Pierre.

Hardy belted out four straight wins before getting a shot at the French-Canadian champ at UFC 111. In a one-sided fight, St-Pierre won via unanimous decision.

Subsequent losses to Carlos Condit, Anthony Johnson and Chris Lytle prompted many fans to wonder whether Hardy would be released from his contract, but UFC executive Lorenzo Fertitta said the fighter's job was safe.

Hardy then rebounded with a first-round KO of Duane Ludwig, which earned him a $70,000 performance bonus, and outpointed Amir Sadollah in his most recent outing.

Seizing upon current momentum is Hardy's chief goal.

"As of right now, I just need to embrace that instinctual inner-reptile and have a run at the belt again," he said. "I'm excited about this year because my potential is sky-high, and it's completely open for me to do whatever I like with it. I'm very determined to make this a big year for me and step away from the top of the sport and do something else for a while."

Of the many things he plans to do after hanging up his gloves, Hardy plans to get a doctorate in philosophy and backpack around South America, where he visited this past summer and participated in a life-changing ayahuasca retreat.

"I'll never be away from the gym for too long," he said. "I couldn't walk away from it entirely. I just think there's a time to review where you're at and see what you want to do with the rest of your life, and I think in that two years when I was losing, I had a lot of time to do that, and I made plans for the future that I was excited about. Now, I've got a second chance at my UFC career, and I'm going to run at it and see what happens after it."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/ufc-on-fox-7s-dan-hardy-says-retirement-on-the-horizon

Post subject: Cris Cyborg Asks UFC For Release From Contract
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:08 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Everybody wants to see former Strikeforce champions Ronda Rousey and Cris “Cyborg” Santos fight, but as the days dwindle on, it looks less and less likely that it’s ever going to happen.

Things have devolved to the point that UFC Hall of Famer and current Cyborg manager Tito Ortiz on Friday night told Inside MMA that his client has asked to be released from her contract.

Cyborg was one of the fighters under contract with Zuffa, LLC when the UFC assimilated the Strikeforce roster. Zuffa, LLC is the parent company of both promotions, so Cyborg’s contract carried over to the UFC.

The problem is, Cyborg was the 145-pound champion and often struggled to make weight in that division. Rousey is the UFC’s first 135-pound women’s champion and neither she nor the UFC appear to want her to fight outside of that class anytime soon.

Cyborg, according to Ortiz, is willing to do the fight, but only at a catchweight of 140 pounds.

The UFC seems unwilling to do that, at least not yet. Cyborg is unhappy with the UFC’s alternative offer, which Ortiz said includes the possibility of her remaining under contract, but then fighting for Invicta FC, the burgeoning all-women’s mixed martial arts promotion.

“UFC wanted to sign a huge deal with Cris Cyborg, but they wanted to stick her over in Invicta. It didn’t make sense to me,” said Ortiz on Inside MMA.

“I talked to Cyborg time and time again, asked her and asked her. She said I would love to do a three-fight deal; fourth fight would be against Ronda. Let’s get it done at 140, not be a fight for the 135-pound championship,” he continued.

“For her to get down to 135 pounds is physically impossible, for a woman. For a man it’s different because we have more water weight to take off. For Cris Cyborg to get down to that weight, she’s going to be three to four percent bodyfat.

“I’ve talked to her. She wants to start a family later on; she wants to have kids. Family is what it’s truly about.”

With that in mind, Cyborg just doesn’t want to try and go any lower than 140 pounds, and doesn’t really appreciate the alternatives, since the UFC has no intention of adding a women’s 145-pound division to its offerings any time in the near future.

If the UFC and Rousey aren’t willing to make the deal at 140 pounds, Cyborg is content to cut ties and take her chances elsewhere.

“Right now we’re actually waiting for the UFC to release her,” said Ortiz. “We asked for them to release her. (UFC president Dana White) actually talked to me yesterday. They gave me an offer. I went to Cyborg, she says she doesn’t want to do it, and we just asked for a release.

“If they’re not having a 145-pound weight class, what else can they do? As of now, she’s gonna be released, and maybe we’ll go looking somewhere else.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/cris-cyborg-asks-for-release-from-ufc-contract

Maybe of this juice head stopped sticking herself, or stopped using stanazol and reduced her weight that she uses in the gym, making 135 wouldn't be a problem what so ever

Post subject: Vitor Belfort Adds To Phenom Legacy
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Vitor Belfort Adds To Phenom Legacy With Stunning Heel Kick KO

Vitor Belfort earned his nickname “The Phenom” early in his career, a fiery young man, with blazing speed and knockout power. Now, at 36 years of age, he continues to add credence to his moniker.

Belfort entered Saturday night’s UFC on FX 8 in Brazil having knocked out middleweight title contender Michael Bisping at UFC on FX 7. He continued his resurgence by knocking out final Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, but it was the manner in which he did it that really added to The Phenom’s legacy.

Belfort looked comfortable and confident from the opening bell, sprawling an early takedown attempt, and just missing with a spinning heel kick to the head. He did, however, land a flurry of punches that backed Rockhold into the fence.

Rockhold fought out of it, but seemed to have trouble finding his rhythm, moving flat-footed around the Octagon. Belfort was circling and bouncing on his toes the entire time.

Just as the fight appeared to be falling into a rhythm all its own, Belfort launched another spinning heel kick, this time landing squarely on Rockhold’s jaw, immediately putting him on the mat. Belfort pounced and landed several more punches as the referee jumped in to stop the fight.

Belfort was elated after the fight, saying, “I want to thank everyone. I’m stronger than ever.”

He certainly looked it, but steered clear of calling for a return shot at the middleweight title. He did, however, make his pick for the UFC 162 battle between Anderson Silva and Chris Weidman in July.

“I’m here to fight. I don’t pick fights. I accept fights. The fans decide it, Dana White,” Belfort declared. “I’m very happy. I’m going to root for Anderson.”

The victory gives Belfort back-to-back wins over Top 10 middleweights, and makes him 4-1 since losing to Anderson Silva at UFC 126 in early 2011.

Rockhold, hoping that a victory would have launched him into a title fight in his next bout, will instead go back to the drawing board.

“I didn’t see that one coming,” he admitted after the fight. “I thought I was finding my timing, but what can I say, he landed a spinning heel kick to my head.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fx-8-results-vitor-belfort-adds-to-phenom-legacy-with-stunning-heal-kick-ko

Post subject: Jacare Souza Makes Quick Work Of Camozzi
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:31 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Jacare Souza Makes Quick Work Of Camozzi, Calls For Main Event Winner

Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza finally made his UFC debut on Saturday night, making quick work of Chris Camozzi at UFC on FX 8 in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil.

Since debuting as a professional fighter in 2003, the highly decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu wizard has been one of, if not the most decorated ground fighters in mixed martial arts.

With a laundry list of grappling world titles to his credit, Souza has always been pegged as a fighter with nearly unlimited potential.

In his already storied career, the former Strikeforce middleweight champion has dispatched MMA stalwarts such as Robbie Lawler, Matt Lindland, Tim Kennedy and Jason “Mayhem” Miller, to name a few.

If you had never witnessed Jacare in action, he quickly showed what all the fuss was about.

Early into the opening frame, Jacare used his ever-improving stand-up skills as he calmly peppered Camozzi, effectively breaking any rhythm the 26-year-old American had hoped to muster. As Souza set the pace, he landed a set of overhand rights that wobbled Camozzi.

Smelling weakness, Souza moved in, securing a quick takedown, leading to his ground magic.

Souza used consistent ground and pound to soften Camozzi before employing his anaconda-like prowess. But when it happened, it was smooth. In an almost effortless display of jiu-jitsu, Souza put his knee on Camozzi’s belly, transitioned to side control, and locked in the fight-ending arm-triangle choke.

“I was waiting for him to give me the opportunity, and I saw his neck out there, and I just went for it,” said Souza matter-of-factly after the fight.

With 14 of Souza’s 18 wins coming by way of submission, it’s safe to say he “just goes for it” with uncanny ease, unlike any other fighter in the Octagon.

Souza credited the hometown Brazilian fans for keeping any “UFC jitters” at bay, as the 33-year-old finally made his promotional debut.

“Everyone was asking me if I was going to get the UFC jitters,” said Jacare. “But I didn’t because this crowd is awesome. It’s fantastic.”

With sights shifting to the top-ranked middleweight, Jacare was asked about whom he would like to fight next. When the subject of the night’s main event between Vitor Belfort and – one of the only three men to beat Souza – Luke Rockhold, the confident Brazilian said he knew exactly who he wanted his next scrap the be against.

“With the winner.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fx-8-results-jacare-souza-makes-quick-work-of-camozzi-calls-for-main-event-winner

Post subject: Rafael Dos Anjos Edges Evan Dunham
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:33 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Duking it out to break into the lightweight division's top-10, Rafael dos Anjos and Evan Dunham left everything in the cage over 15 minutes.

In the end, though, the Brazilian dos Anjos edged out Dunham on scorecards, taking home a unanimous decision.

The lightweight bout was part of Saturday's UFC on FX 8 event at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Santa Catarina, Brazil. It aired on the FX-televised main card following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Dos Anjos kept his pace high early in the fight, attacking Dunham with kicks. Dunham appeared slightly slower in exchanges, but managed to return fire in close. A brief ground exchange saw the American pick up a few points.

Dunham took the fight back to the mat early in the second, but he was forced to defend a submission attempt. Dos Anjos found his range midway through the round, scoring with a pair of stiff left hands. That prompted Dunham to attempt another takedown, but he was stifled by Dos Anjos, who began to bleed generously from a cut on his right eye. The crimson seemed to motivate Dunham, who upped the pace late in the frame.

Likely tied going into the third frame, Dunham kept the pressure on as Dos Anjos looked to counter. The Brazilian countered well to the body, though he was unable to stop Dunham, who mixed his combinations with takedown attempts. By the fight's end, both were swinging for the fences, but it was Dunham that was landing with more frequency.

Dunham's late-fight rally ultimately wasn't enough to sway judges, who scored the fight unanimously for dos Anjos (19-6 MMA, 8-4 UFC), 29-28, who's now won four straight. Dunham (14-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC), meanwhile, is back on the road to redemption after outpointing Gleison Tibau at UFC 156.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/ufc-on-fx-8-results-rafael-dos-anjos-vs-evan-dunham

Post subject: Pat Healy Denied $130,000 In Bonus Money
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:36 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Pat Healy Denied $130,000 In Bonus Money Following Positive UFC 159 Drug Test

Pat Healy manned-up after testing positive for marijuana following his UFC 159 bout with Jim Miller, fully admitting to his knowing use of the drug despite it being a banned substance.

The New Jersey Athletic Control Board handed Healy a 90-day suspension and changed the result of his third-round submission victory to a no contest, but the hits didn’t stop there.

Healy was also denied the Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night bonus checks that total $130,000. The UFC has since awarded the Submission of the Night bonus to Bryan Caraway, who submitted Johnny Bedford.

“It’s known up front that checks are held until everyone passes the drug test,” UFC president Dana White tweeted, confirming the redistribution of the post-fight honor. “Brian Caraway get the SON now. Healy did himself dirty.”

The Fight of the Night bonus is not expected to be shifted to another bout. Healy lost his $65,000 check for participating in the Fight of the Night, but his opponent, Jim Miller, will not.

Healy is not expected to be fined by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board.

The standard penalty for a first-time offense when a fighter tests positive for marijuana in New Jersey is a 90-day suspension, and if the fighter was victorious, his bout is ruled a no contest, according to NJSACB officials. That was the penalty handed down to Healy, as this was his first offense.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/pat-healy-denied-130000-in-bonus-money-following-positive-ufc-159-drug-test

Post subject: Anderson Silva Was Ready To Walk Away
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:39 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Anderson Silva Was Ready To Walk Away, But The Nogueira Brothers Saved The Day

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is widely regarded as the top pound-for-pound fighter on the planet… praise that stretches beyond the bounds of mixed martial arts, including comparisons to the likes of boxers Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, alongside his counterparts Jon Jones and Georges St-Pierre.

There was a time well before he graced the UFC’s Octagon, however, that Silva – while a good fighter with a promising future – wasn’t someone that stood out across the globe or was anywhere near the average fight fan’s radar.

Silva made his way up the professional ranks first fighting in his home country of Brazil and then making a few ripples in Japan, where he defeated the likes of former UFC welterweight champion Carlos Newton and highly regarded Japanese veteran Hayato Sakurai, but lost bouts to Daiju Takase and Ryo Chonan.

Those were the birthing years of MMA. It was a time when the payouts were paltry and the highest level of notoriety was being a big fish in a small pond. MMA was nowhere near the pages of SI or in ESPN’s broadcasts or available for viewing on a major broadcast network like Fox.

It was a time that had Anderson Silva on the ropes like no fighter ever has. It was a time that left him shaking his head, ready to walk away from mixed martial arts altogether.

The loss to Chonan came at the end of his Pride contract, and although he was a respectable 3-2 in the Pride ring and always competitive, Silva believed that his dreams were quickly fading into oblivion.

That is when Silva went to his close friends the Nogueira brothers (Antonio Rogerio and Antonio Rodrigo) to tell them that he was done fighting.

“The Nogueira brothers, they’re part of my family,” said Silva in a Fuel TV UFC From All Angles interview on Tuesday night. “I love these guys because they help me stay together my dream. Because one day I talk to Rogerio and Rodrigo, ‘I no more fight bro.’”

We know, obviously, that Silva didn’t hang up his gloves. But it was his friendship with the Nogueira brothers that made it possible for today’s fans to appreciate the skills of one of the greatest martial artists of all time.

“At that time Rogerio, Rodrigo talk to me, I no have nothing. My dream is lost,” Silva recounted. “Rodrigo talked to me, ‘Hey, come over to my house. I help you. No worry. Come to here. Train together.’”

Not only did Rodrigo help Silva prepare, he advised Silva to no longer fight for Pride. Silva had no problems with Pride or fighting for them, but he obviously listened to the man he considers his family and left Japan behind.

Silva went on to fight a few more times for Cage Rage, a now-defunct British organization where he held the middleweight championship, before making his way to the UFC and never looking back.

Silva won the UFC middleweight title in just his second fight for the organization, and is undefeated in the Octagon, winning all of his 16 of his fights. His name is scrawled across the UFC record books.

At 38 years of age, Silva is entering into a new long-term contract with the UFC, is slated to fight Chris Weidman at UFC 162 in July, and shows no signs of slowing down… thank you Rodrigo and Rogerio Nogueira.

“I love Rodrigo. I love Rogerio. This is my family.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anderson-silva-was-ready-to-walk-away-but-the-nogueira-brothers-saved-the-day

Post subject: Nate Diaz Suspended Pending Internal Investigation
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:41 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Nate Diaz Suspended Pending Internal Investigation For Use Of Homophobic Slur On Twitter

Nate Diaz on Thursday was suspended by UFC officials for his use of a homophobic slur on Twitter.

Diaz was defending Pat Healy, who was recently stripped of $130,000 in bonus money after testing positive for marijuana, a banned substance, following his UFC 159 victory over Jim Miller.

The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board also suspended Healy for 90 days and changed the result of the fight to a no contest.

Aside from standing up for Healy, Diaz was taking a shot at Bryan Caraway, a fighter that lobbied UFC president Dana White for and was awarded the $65,000 Submission of the Night bonus that was one of the two bonuses stripped from Healy.

Diaz, however, used a homophobic slur in his attack on Caraway, which the UFC is now investigating as a possible violation of its code of conduct.

“We are very disappointed by Nate Diaz’s comments, which are in no way reflective of our organization,” read a UFC statement addressing the situation. “Nate is currently suspended pending internal investigation and we will provide further comment once the matter has been decided.”

I feel bad for pat Healy that they took a innocent mans money and I think the guy who took the money is the biggest Fag in the world ..

— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) May 16, 2013

Diaz’s manager, Mike Kogan, defended his fighter to FoxSports.com, saying that Diaz never intended to use the slur as such, nor did he mean to offend anyone.

“He didn’t use that word in that sort of (homophobic) context,” said Kogan. “It’s a misunderstanding. If people are uneducated, that’s not my (expletive) fault. It’s slang for being a little (expletive). (Caraway) goes on Twitter and chases (UFC president) Dana (White) down like a little (expletive) instead of picking up the phone.”

The most recent example of a fighter flying in the face of the UFC’s code of conduct policy was Matt Mitrione, who came under fire after his rant about transgender fighter Fallon Fox.

Mitrione was suspended for roughly three weeks for an investigation into the matter. Ultimately, he was fined an undisclosed amount and the suspension lifted.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/nate-diaz-suspended-pending-internal-investigation-for-use-of-homophobic-slur-on-twitter

Post subject: Brandon Thatch Signs UFC Deal
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:45 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Welterweight Prospect And GSP Training Partner Brandon Thatch Signs UFC Deal, Awaits First Fight

Welterweight prospect Brandon Thatch has signed a four-fight contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Like most fighters, the UFC has long been Thatch’s goal.

“I want to be considered one of those elite fighters. I want to strap on the UFC gloves and be considered one of the best in the world,” he told MMAWeekly.com before his last fight, which took place at RFA 7 in March.

“I don’t really consider myself an MMA fighter until I strap on those UFC gloves. Once I strap up those UFC gloves, I’ll feel like I’ve made it.”

He’s now about to strap on those UFC gloves after an impressive first-round submission victory over Roufusport fighter Mike “Biggie” Rhodes at RFA 7 bumped his overall record to 9-1 and put his current winning streak at eight consecutive fights.

That victory, coupled with the backing of key training partner UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, helped earn Thatch the shot he has been longing for.

“I believe Brandon Thatch could be in the UFC right now,” said St-Pierre before Thatch’s win at RFA 7. “And I’m pretty sure he’s going to prove it to everyone in his fight (with Rhodes).”

Thatch told MMAWeekly.com on Saturday night that he doesn’t yet have a date or opponent for his first UFC bout, but told the crowd at Kickdown MMA – a local fight event in Denver – that he is continuing to train, staying at the ready for when the UFC calls on him to make his promotional debut.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/welterweight-prospect-and-gsp-training-partner-brandon-thatch-signs-ufc-deal-awaits-first-fight

Post subject: Axe Continues To Fall
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:49 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Axe Continues To Fall; Leonard Garcia, Bart Palaszewski, Several Other UFC Fighters Released

Several fighters have been released by the Ultimate Fighting Championship, including four-time Fight of the Night winner Leonard Garcia.

Garcia (15-11-1) became a fan favorite for his aggressive fighting style and epic battles with Chan Sung Jung, but his release was no surprise. The featherweight fighter has lost five consecutive fights and hasn’t had his hand raised since December 2010.

Garcia confirmed his released via Twitter on Wednesday.

“Got let go by @UFC thanks for everything! I’ll be back better than ever,” wrote Garcia. “Thanks to all my friends this is a great reality check time to get back on the grind.”

Bart Palaszewski (36-17) was also released by the promotion after dropping his last three fights.

“I have been let go by the @ufc. I would like to thank them & @seanshelby (UFC matchmaker) for all the opportunities and great times. We shall see whats next,” Palaszewski tweeted on Wednesday.

MMAWeekly.com has confirmed several other fighters have also been cut from the UFC roster.

Middleweight Clifford Starks (8-2) received his walking papers after losing back-to-back fights and going 1-2 in organization.

Reuben Duran (8-5-1) went 1-3 in his UFC stint before being released after suffering back-to-back losses.

Pablo Garza (12-4) was notified of his release after losing three of his last four fights.

“In life’s journey we can walk many paths and while some may close there are others that will open. I am sad to say, that I have been released from the UFC roster,” Garza wrote on his Facebook page on Monday. “But I will take this time to focus on another passion of mine; competing in Jiu Jitsu and coaching. And who knows, I might be back in the Octagon again one day… Once again thank you all.”

The release of Antonio Carvalho (15-6) was a bit of a surprise. He’s gone 2-2 in his UFC tenure. After losing his debut against Felipe Arantes at UFC 142, Carvalho bounced back with two consecutive wins. He was defeated in his last outing on March 16 by Darren Elkins by technical knockout in the first round.

The 33-year-old confirmed his release via Twitter on Monday, citing too many featherweights on the UFC roster.

“I have been cut by the UFC. Too many FW’s on roster & need to cut back. Business is that way. Only love for the UFC. Hopefully be back,” wrote Carvalho.

Other confirmed releases include Justin Lawrence, Issei Tamura, and Kurt Holobaugh.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/axe-continues-to-fall-leonard-garcia-and-several-other-ufc-fighters-released

Post subject: GSP UFC Welterweight Champion
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:52 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

GSP UFC Welterweight Champion… And New York Times Bestselling Author

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has a laundry list of credits on his resume, and now he can add New York Times Bestselling Author.

St-Pierre’s recent book, The Way of the Fight, landed on the most recent New York Times Best Sellers list for Hardcover Nonfiction books at number 30.

Unlike many other mixed martial arts related tomes, The Way of the Fight is neither a step-by-step training manual nor a full-on autobiography, although it’s more of the latter than the former. The book has a strong philosophical bent to it.

St-Pierre gives readers a look into his past, growing up as a bullied kid who learned Karate to becoming a garbage collector to becoming not only a UFC champion, but also one of the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet. Not only that, he imparts a glimpse into how his life has shaped the man he is today and how he’s become not only physically strong, but mentally strong as well.

The book includes more than St-Pierre’s own personal outlook on his life. It also includes insights from several of the people closest to him.

Fellow fighter, friend, and mentor Kristof Midoux; Brazilian jiu-jitsu coach John Danaher; head coach Firas Zahabi; and friend, manager, and training partner Rodolphe Beaulieu all add some interesting perspective on St-Pierre and his life.

The majority of the book was written during St-Pierre’s down time between his successful title defenses against Jake Shields in April 2011 and Carlos Condit in November 2012. It does, however, include a chapter written after the Condit fight.

The Way of the Fight gives a keen insight into the mind of one of the great fighters of our generation, but with St-Pierre consistently taking his career to new heights, there is certainly more to come.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/georges-st-pierre-ufc-welterweight-champion-and-new-york-times-bestselling-author

Post subject: Sean Pierson Meets Kenny Robertson At UFC 161
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:55 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

With T.J. Waldburger (16-7 MMA, 4-2 UFC) forced off the card, Sean Pierson (13-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) now will face Kenny Robertson (12-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) at next month's UFC 161 event in Canada.

UFC officials on Thursday revealed the new welterweight fight booking. The nature of Waldburger's removal from the card was not announced.

Featuring a headliner between UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao and former WEC title holder Eddie Wineland, UFC 161 takes place June 15 at MTS Centre in Winnipeg and is the promotion's first visit to the Manitoba province.

Pierson-Robertson will be part of the preliminary card on Facebook ahead of additional prelims on FX and a main card on pay-per-view.

Robertson in February picked up the first win of his UFC career with a "Submission of the Night" kneebar victory over Brock Jardine at UFC 157. Prior to that, Robertson had a pair of UFC losses in two separate stints – a 2011 loss to Mike Pierce at UFC 126 and a 2012 loss to Aaron Simpson.

After starting his UFC career 1-2, Pierson has rebounded with back-to-back wins over Lance Benoist and Jake Hecht. Pierson was originally expected to fight at UFC 158 in March, but an injury forced him to withdraw from a planned matchup with Rick Story. He'll be fighting for the first time since September 2012.

Waldburger was looking for his fourth win in five fights, a run that included a pair of "Submission of the Night" bonuses.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/t-j-waldburger-out-sean-pierson-meets-kenny-robertson-at-ufc-161

Post subject: Daniel Cormier Opts To Remain At Heavyweight
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:57 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Daniel Cormier Opts To Remain At Heavyweight, Hoping For UFC Fight In July Or August

The entire MMA world has been wondering since the conclusion of UFC on Fox 7 if Daniel Cormier‘s future in the Octagon would remain at heavyweight or if he would be making the move down to 205 pounds.

Cormier has long flirted with the idea of dropping down to the light heavyweight division for a number of reasons, maybe none more paramount than the fact that his close friend and teammate Cain Velasquez currently sits as UFC heavyweight champion and the two fighters have no desire to face one another in the cage.

Add to that, Cormier’s frame at 5’10″ tall tends to match him up better with fighters in the light heavyweight division.

While a move to 205 pounds still seems likely for Cormier’s future, it appears that he will be sticking around at heavyweight for at least another fight or two.

“I always thought if I were to go down I would need a lot of time to do it. I think that still applies, but I would like to still fight,” Cormier told Bleacher Report. “At the end of the day I can’t cut massive amounts of weight. That’s well documented from my problems in the Olympic games. But I can diet, and when I’m dieting I can still fight. Can I fight at 205? No. Because it’s too much weight to cut in a short period of time. But could I fight a heavyweight fight and just be a little lighter? I think so.”

The plan for Cormier right now is to book his next fight at heavyweight while he’s making the transition down to the smaller weight class. The key, according to the former Olympian, is to cut the weight slowly, but surely without sacrificing too much time inside the cage.

“Yeah because it keeps me busy, I’m still getting to fight and still gaining experience,” Cormier said about staying at heavyweight for now. “At the end of the day, I’m still very early in my career.”

One fight that has been mentioned by UFC President Dana White is Cormier taking on former Ultimate Fighter winner Roy Nelson sometime later this year. While Nelson and his management have varying ideas on what comes next, Cormier doesn’t really care much if he faces him or another top ten fighter.

Cormier’s focus is facing the best fighters in the division and if the name on his contract reads Roy Nelson then so be it.

“I think any fight that involves someone on that higher rank makes sense,” Cormier stated. “Any of the higher ranked guys make sense. Also a guy that’s coming off a win. It’s very important if you look at the UFC matchmaking that’s how it goes. Two guys coming off wins make fights. I think any fight with a guy that’s ranked high and advances my career makes sense. I just want to fight big fights.”

Cormier took a week off after his last fight against Frank Mir at UFC on Fox 7 to take his family to Disneyland, but immediately after he was right back in the gym sparring with Velasquez to help him get ready for his fight at UFC 160 against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva.

The move to light heavyweight will begin as well with Cormier adjusting his diet and dropping the weight over the next several months, but he doesn’t want to accept a fight at 205 pounds unless he knows he will make the cut comfortably.

The end goal for Cormier is to win a UFC championship and right now the best way to do that is fighting at light heavyweight. The former Strikeforce fighter doesn’t intend on fighting Velasquez, and in his opinion the current UFC champion will remain in possession of the gold for quite some time.

“They’re not beating Cain. They’re not good enough,” Cormier said about the heavyweight division. “I’m telling you right now, I think they’re great, I think Junior dos Santos is great. I think Junior dos Santos has the best chance of beating Cain, but the rest they’re not beating him. They’re not good enough. It’s about as honest as I can be with you – they’re not good enough to beat him.”

In terms of his timeline for a return to action, Cormier doesn’t want to sit out too long, which also necessitates his next fight being at heavyweight. Cormier had to miss a lot of time over the last couple of years due to an injured hand and plenty of delays at his former promotional home in Strikeforce. At 34 years of age, Cormier doesn’t want to waste any time, so the sooner he can get back in action, the better.

“When I look at some of these cards you look at the July card Anderson Silva and (Chris) Weidman, I think they need a co-main event. Then in August that Fox Sports 1 card, that would be pretty cool,” stated Cormier. “Any of the big cards I would love to be a part of.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-cormier-opts-to-remain-at-heavyweight-hoping-for-ufc-fight-in-july-or-august

Post subject: Patrick Cote Would Love To Coach Canada vs. Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:01 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Newly Re-signed Patrick Cote Would Love To Coach Canada vs. Australia 'TUF'

Patrick Cote (19-8 MMA, 6-8 UFC) thinks he has the experience and knowledge to guide the careers of up-and-coming Canadian fighters.

Cote, who recently signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC, said he would be honored to accept a job as coach if a rumored Canada vs. Australia version of "The Ultimate Fighter" materializes.

"I think I can teach something to those guys, and I'll go there to help, not for my personal exposure," Cote told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com). "It could be fun. If they ask me to do it, for sure I would say yes."

A recent report stated that the fourth international version of the long-running reality show was to begin filming in the near future, but the UFC has yet to confirm its plans, and UFC President Dana White has declined to answer questions about the rumored "TUF."

Cote, a onetime UFC middleweight title challenger who this past month successfully debuted at welterweight, said he didn't have any additional information on whether the rumored season was a go, but has a team in place if things change.

He cited his longtime jiu-jitsu coach and MMA vet Fabio Holanda as one person he'd bring on set, as well as his striking and wrestling coaches.

"I have a lot of good people around me who can give me the help I need and help those guys," he said. "I'm going to bring everything I can, but I can bring experience, because I fought for a title. I know what it is to fight on a big stage."

Now 33 years old, Cote made his octagon debut at UFC 50, when he stepped in for an injured Guy Mezger to fight Tito Ortiz. After going winless in his next two outings, he rebuilt himself on the regional circuit before accepting a spot on Season 4 of "The Ultimate Fighter," which featured UFC veterans gunning for a guaranteed shot at the title. He was eliminated in the finals, but returned to win four straight and earn a fight with middleweight champ Anderson Silva at UFC 90. A blown ACL ended his title bid, and subsequent losses sent him back to the regional circuit.

Returning to the UFC this past year, Cote suffered a decision loss to Cung Le before winning bouts against Alessio Sakara (via disqualification) and, most recently, Bobby Voelker.

After recent talks with UFC matchmakers, Cote has penciled in a return in September, which he said will coincide with his current effort to become a certified nutritionist and biomechanics expert. He has yet to hear of a proposed opponent.

The UFC previously has filmed two international seasons of "TUF" in Brazil, the second of which is set to conclude next month at a live event in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil, and one in Australia, which pitted Australian fighters against U.K. fighters.

Canada has long been considered one of the strongest international markets for the UFC, which has held a dozen events in the country. Several of them have been instant sellouts. Australia, meanwhile, has hosted four events.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/newly-re-signed-patrick-cote-would-love-to-coach-canada-vs-australia-tuf

Post subject: Rebney Open To Holding Four-Man Tourneys
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:12 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Rebney Open To Holding Four-Man Tourneys In Bellator's Regular Season

Eight-man tournaments have been the centerpiece of Bellator MMA's format since the promotion came on the scene in 2009.

But earlier this spring, Bellator announced its three-event "Summer Series" would feature four-man tourneys in three different divisions instead of the eight-fighter variety.

It's a decision that was part practical based on the short summer schedule and perhaps part testing of the waters for possibilities in the future.

Bellator founder and CEO Bjorn Rebney on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com Radio (http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that the company is open to holding four-man tournaments as part of the regular season and not just in the "Summer Series."

"There's no hard and fast (rule)," Rebney said. "They can potentially take place in the regular season, as well. It's all about trying to figure out how to get more world-title shots set up for the guys, so that at minimum our guys are defending the titles three times a year – which is where we want to be."

Some of Bellator's champions have been vocal in the past about not getting enough work once they win the belt. After getting the title, they've had to wait for a tournament winner to emerge in their division, then wait for a date for the title fight.

Some divisions, like featherweight, have had moments with multiple challengers waiting in the wings. And it sounds as if Rebney would prefer that scenario to having a champion sitting by waiting to know who he's going to fight next.

At Bellator 96, which kicks off the "Summer Series," Michael Chandler will defend his lightweight title against Dave Jansen and the start of a four-man light heavyweight tournament will take place. The winner of that tourney will emerge at July's Bellator 97 and immediately be in line to face the eventual winner between 205-pound champion Attila Vegh and Season 8 tournament winner Emanuel Newton.

But the goal, Rebney said, is keeping the tournaments rolling so the champs stay busy.

"If we need to juggle and do another 205 tournament in the fall, or we need to do another (heavyweight) tournament in the fall, or 145 and do a four-man, it gives us the flexibility to do that," Rebney said. "This is about ensuring that, whether it's going to be Emanuel Newton or Vegh defending that title, you've got a guy lined up. As soon as whoever wins that fight is done, you've got another (title) fight lined up and you're ready to go.

"It's about working through those different movements of the company to get it to where every facet of it is working perfectly – and we're getting close."

It's been a work in progress for Bellator, but Rebney believes the company and fans are starting to see the payoff of the tournament format four years after the promotion was born.

"This is the place i wanted to be in, loading the barrel with challengers who've earned their place to be there," he said.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/rebney-open-to-holding-four-man-tourneys-in-bellators-regular-season

Page 411 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414 ... 431  Next