It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 2012 JUNO Awards calling for Rap category submissions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:35 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Ok, look krafty, i can appreciate the position that you're in, being that you're a commitee member on the junos, and i can appreciate what you're doing from the west, and i respect that, but please, don't come on here, and try and talk down to me, and tell me that what i have posted has been misguided.

When in fact, i've been on point, and have exposed the juno awards for what they've done to black music, and how they've treated urban artists in canada almost since day one.

And what you call me undermining, is more like me bringing the truth to the light about how hip hop, rap, and r&b artists have been treated in canada, so maybe you should make an effort, and sit down with the powers that be at the junos, and explain to them specifically what they have done to black music in canada, and then, explain to them that when you intentionally shit on, and fuck over hip hop, rap, and r&b artists in canada, and don't have them on the live portion of the awards telecast, that only further reinforces what we've all been thinking, and feeling for a very long time.

And that is, black music in canada has been literally kept at the back of the bus!!

And at some point, we ALL lose faith in something that was supposed to be more inclusive, then exclusive.

I mean it's almost like it's become a on brainer, if you're an urban artist, ya, we'll put your name in to be nonimated, but don't expect to win, but just be grateful that we allowed your name to be said on our show.

So i think that at this point, i'll stop bringing that knowledge, and sit back in the cut, and see how the juno awards come off this year, and maybe we'll meet back here after they air, and readdress the juno awards, and how they treat urban artists.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:23 pm 
500 Plus
500 Plus

I'm not talking down to you, while I have refuted some of the incorrect statements you've made I think I've shown you the same amount of respect as you've shown me. I've learned (and continue to learn) a lot in the 15 years I've worked in this industry and I'm not saying I'm always right but I do research and carefully consider all the ramifications before publicly arguing anything, especially when I'm potentially taking up the time of people who have had success and experience that I might be able to benefit from. You may want to consider doing the same, or you can choose to stick to your beliefs in spite of what I've shared with you. As I said though if you continue to attempt to spread incorrect information about the Junos' Rap category on this forum, I will be correcting it.

The Junos' Rap category has existed for over 20 years now, and there is no question it has improved a lot over that time. I would suggest you focus on the way things are now instead of talking about "day one". Two decades ago is ancient history in the music world, and is just not very relevant to this discussion. I'd also suggest you reconsider your usage of the term "black music" in this discussion as that sounds like you might be trying to pull the race card, and not only does that not help your statements it actually undermines them.

Quite frankly even if you had only have used the expression "Urban music" I still haven't read anything from you that makes me think your statements are anything other than you looking for someone else to blame for the lack of success in your genre and perhaps even with your own career. Rappers from Canada are absolutely capable of having long-term success, but it is not likely to happen for people that are worried about pointing fingers at others for why they're not successful. If you take that as talking down to you so be it, its the kindest wording of my current perception I can come up with and I'd be happy to hear reasons to make me think otherwise.

Now I am going to make myself clear since you are trying to spread the issue around, I'm not advocating on behalf of all the genres in Urban music; I'm concerned about Rap music because that is what I am passionate about. I am not going to spend my time advocating to further R&B because its not of much more interest to me than most other genres of music, and I don't really have any more time to take away from generating providing income for my family. I am doing more than most people for Rap in this country, and if you really care so much about R&B maybe YOU should contact CARAS about it and see how YOU can work towards creating the improvements you want to see for the genre instead of suggesting I should do so or complaining in a message board thread about the Rap category.

As far as the rest of your comments in your last post go you are just recycling stuff I've already refuted, so I'm not going to take the time to readdress them. Please come with something new and relevant, or stop taking up my time.

Easy

Krafty

http://www.factor.ca <- funding for Canadian artists
http://www.musicbc.org <- funding, education, networking, etc for BC artists

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:22 pm 
Brick
Brick

krafty got so much good info and interesting opinions. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2