It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 387 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Anthony Johnson Open To Heavyweight Super Fight
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:08 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Anthony Johnson Open To Heavyweight Super Fight Against Andrei Arlovski

Anthony Johnson is a man who enjoys challenges.

Just days after his highlight reel knockout over D.J. Linderman at World Series of Fighting 1 in Las Vegas, he’s already got a few ideas for what he’d like to do next.

Throughout his career, Johnson has tested the limits of his body and skill set bouncing from welterweight all the way to light heavyweight, and now he has a new weight class in mind.

“I’ve tried 170, I’ve tried 185, now I’m at 205, and actually I can’t lie, I want to go up to heavyweight one time, just to test it out,” Johnson told MMAWeekly Radio on Monday.

“I want to be the first guy, I don’t know if anybody’s ever done it, but I want to be the first guy to fight four weight classes at one time.”

Johnson has had a lot of success thus far in his light heavyweight career, picking up 3 victories in 3 tries, winning all of them by knockout or TKO. While he’s still awaiting word from World Series of Fighting about his next bout with the promotion, he’s open to offers at heavyweight as well.

“I’d accept it if they offered it to me,” said Johnsona about fighting at heavyweight. “There are some big guys out there, obviously they get up to 265 cause that’s the limit, but if they offered me a fight against a guy that was 250, I’d fight him. It’s just a fight.”

One name that pops to mind when looking at the roster of competitors under the World Series of Fighting banner is former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovksi.

Arlovski fought in the main event where he knocked out Devin Cole in the first round to pick up his third win in his last four fights. Even Johnson admits, that’s a fight he’s been thinking about.

“I thought about that fight too, I’d take it if they offered it to me. I was actually thinking about it today. I was thinking about it today whenever I watched the fights, I watched the whole card today, and I was like it would be crazy if I got to fight Andrei Arlovski,” said Johnson.

“If it happened, I would accept it. Andrei’s a great athlete. I remember when he won the title, I remember when he lost the title, I’ve followed his career. He’s a great fighter, a real athlete, a real fighter too, so it would be an honor to fight him. If it happens it happens, if it doesn’t it doesn’t. That’s just something that popped in my head this morning, what if it did happen? That would be crazy.”

Johnson vs. Arlovski certainly seems like an intriguing match-up that would get the MMA world buzzing for the second ever World Series of Fighting event. Now it’s just up to the promotion to find the same kind of interest in that level of super fight.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anthony-johnson-open-to-heavyweight-super-fight-against-andrei-arlovski

Post subject: ‘JZ’ Cavalcante Happy To Get First Finish
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:12 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

‘JZ’ Cavalcante Happy To Get First Finish Since September 2007

Post subject: ‘Rumble’ Johnson Earns “One-Punch” Knockout Win
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

‘Rumble’ Johnson Earns “One-Punch” Knockout Win At WSOF 1

Post subject: Tyron Spong “Was Waiting On Eight Count”
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

WSOF 1 – Tyron Spong “Was Waiting On Eight Count” Following KO Punch

Post subject: Josh Barnett Expects To Fight On January Card
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:17 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Josh Barnett Expects To Fight On January Strikeforce Card

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty when it comes to Strikeforce’s future, and the fighters still under contract with the promotion.

The current plan is for Strikeforce to put on a “mega show” in January 2013 to help make up for the last two cards that had to be cancelled due to numerous injuries that ravaged the top fighters expected to compete.

One fighter who is among those stuck in limbo is heavyweight Josh Barnett, who has a single fight left under the Strikeforce banner until he’s free to pursue other interests. Strikeforce did away with the heavyweight division in 2012 with the exception of Barnett and Daniel Cormier who were the finalists in the first ever Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.

Since their fight in May, both Cormier and Barnett have been awaiting another fight to finish out their time in Strikeforce and either move over to the UFC, or find a new promotion to compete in.

While nothing has been signed, Barnett believes that he will be a part of the huge show planned for January with Strikeforce, allowing him to fulfill the final fight on his deal.

“I do know that I’m looking forward to fighting sometime in January for Strikeforce, and giving all the fans that have been following me on Showtime and Strikeforce exactly what they expect,” Barnett told Inside MMA on Monday.

When pressed on the subject about whether or not he truly believed he would be a part of that card, Barnett was emphatic in his idea that he would be fighting in January.

While no announcements about the card have been made, rumors have circulated that multiple title fights and several other major fights are expected for the January Strikeforce show.

It appears Barnett believes he’s going to at least be one part of the plan.

“I really do expect that. I don’t have an opponent, I can just start with all my members of my team in the gym, and start thrashing them,” said Barnett.

The proposed Strikeforce card in January has had no confirmed bouts or participants yet, but several high profile fights are likely going to land on the show taking place in early 2013.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/josh-barnett-expects-to-fight-on-january-strikeforce-card

Post subject: Rockhold vs Larkin; Marquardt vs Saffiedine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Rockhold vs Larkin; Marquardt vs Saffiedine Landing On January Strikeforce Card

Two title fights are likely landing on the promised “stacked” Strikeforce show in January, and it appears both the middleweight and welterweight titles will be defended.

An injury originally forced Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold off the planned Nov 3 card, but following a slew of other fighters falling out as well the entire card was scrapped

Now Rockhold and his original opponent Lorenz Larkin are headed for the January Strikeforce card instead.

In addition to the Rockhold vs. Larkin fight, Strikeforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt will make the first defense of his title against Tarec Saffiedine.

Sources close to the contest confirmed the fight to MMAWeekly.com with verbal agreements in place. MMAFighting.com first reported the Marquardt match-up on Thursday.

Marquardt won the Strikeforce belt earlier this year with an emphatic knockout of former top contender Tyron Woodley. Now the former UFC fighter will look to make his first successful title defense against Team Quest fighter Tarec Saffiedine.

Two title fights at the top of the card sounds nice, but sources have also indicated that more title bouts may be on tap for the January card. Both lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and women’s bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey have been rumored for the loaded January card as well.

Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier is also expected to be on the card. While it’s not likely Strikeforce would pull off four title fights plus a super fight in the heavyweight division on one card, anything is possible for this loaded show headed for Jan 12 on Showtime.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/luke-rockhold-vs-lorenz-larkin-nate-marquardt-vs-tarec-saffiedine-landing-on-january-strikeforce-card

Post subject: Daniel Cormier Faces Dion Staring
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:25 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Daniel Cormier Faces Dion Staring; Melendez vs Healy On Tap For Strikeforce January

Daniel Cormier has his final fight set for Strikeforce while lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez looks to defend his belt again in January.

Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix champion Daniel Cormier has been waiting for a while to fulfill his final fight commitment to the promotion, but after their recent Nov 3 card was cancelled he was shuffled to their next show in 2013.

Now the former Olympian is set to return in Janaury to face veteran fighter Dion Staring.

Staring has won his last six fights in a row, and now faces Cormier on Jan 12 as part of the last ever heavyweight fight in the promotion. Originally, Cormier was slated to face former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir in November, but an injury forced him out of the bout.

There’s been no reason given for the new match-up, but Cormier will now faces Staring instead.

In addition to Cormier’s fight, Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez will put his title on the line against top contender Pat Healy.

Melendez and Healy were set to do battle in September, but the champion suffered an injury forcing him off the card, and the entire show was eventually cancelled.

Now with his body healed, Melendez is ready to get back to work as he faces a very tough challenge from Team Quest fighter Pat Healy.

Sources close to the fighters confirmed both contests to MMAWeekly.com on Thursday. MMAJunkie.com first reported the match-ups.

The new Strikeforce Jan 12 card now stands with three title fights including the middleweight, welterweight and lightweight belts being up for grabs as well as Cormier’s final fight in the promotion.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-cormier-faces-dion-staring-gilbert-melendez-vs-pat-healy-on-tap-for-strikeforce-january

Post subject: Strikeforce Will Fold After January Event
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:41 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Ronda Rousey Officially Moving To The UFC; Strikeforce Will Fold After January Event

Just a few years ago, UFC president Dana White said he never envisioned women’s fighting ever happening in the Octagon, but now everything has officially changed forever.

Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has signed with the UFC effective immediately and will begin competing for the promotion in 2013.

In addition to Rousey and the women’s division moving to the UFC, the entire promotion of Strikeforce will wrap up production and fold following its show in January.

The original report about both Rousey and Strikeforce came via TMZ.com, but additional sources have confirmed Rousey’s signing with the UFC to MMAWeekly.com. In addition, MMAFighting.com has also confirmed that Strikeforce will indeed close its doors after January, with many fighters then transferring over to the UFC.

Neither Showtime or Zuffa officials have commented on the deals, but the targeted Jan. 12 show for Strikeforce in Oklahoma City is expected to be the promotion’s swan song. Strikeforce has been teetering on the brink of extinction for months ever since two separate shows were cancelled for the promotion between September and November. Now it appears that they will put on one final “mega show” in January before calling it a day.

As far as Rousey’s UFC deal, sources indicated to MMAWeekly.com as far back as mid-October that the Strikeforce bantamweight champion was likely headed to the Octagon, but it was just a matter of time before the deal got announced.

Negotiations obviously concluded and now Rousey will become the first woman ever to compete in the UFC.

No date has been determined for Rousey’s first fight in the Octagon, but it will likely be in early 2013. The name that has been floated most recently for her first opponent is fellow Strikeforce competitor Liz Carmouche, but nothing has been offered or signed at this point.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ronda-rousey-officially-moving-to-the-ufc-strikeforce-will-fold-after-january-event

Post subject: War Machine Reflects On Nearly Two Years In Jail
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:48 pm 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

War Machine Reflects On Nearly Two Years In Jail, Bellator's 'Vote For The Fight'

Post subject: Invicta 4 Adds Alexis Davis vs. Shayna Baszler
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:21 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Invicta 4 Adds Alexis Davis vs. Shayna Baszler; Sarah Kaufman Also Expected For The Card

As Invicta FC’s fourth card approaches in Jan 2013, fights are starting to come together including some of the best fighters at 135lbs.

One fight that is headed to Invicta 4 is a match-up between Alexis Davis and Shayna Baszler, who are expected to meet on the upcoming show in the New Year.

Sources close to the fight confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that verbal agreements are in place for the January showdown.

Both Davis and Baszler have picked up wins on recent Invicta cards, and now they face off against one another with the winner climbing towards the top of the promotion’s 135lb division.

In addition to Alexis Davis vs. Shayna Baszler, sources have also indicated that former Strikeforce bantamweight champion Sarah Kaufman is likely to appear on the Invicta 4 card.

Kaufman was originally scheduled to be a part of Invicta 3, but a training injury forced her off the show. Now the Canadian is set to return in early 2013, with an opponent still to be determined.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/invicta-4-adds-alexis-davis-vs-shayna-baszler-sarah-kaufman-also-expected-for-the-card

Post subject: Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson Flyweight Title Fight
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:26 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Demetrious Johnson vs. John Dodson Flyweight Title Fight Headlines UFC On Fox 6

The next major UFC on Fox show headed to Chicago will feature a flyweight title fight pitting champion Demetrious Johnson against top contender John Dodson.

UFC on Fox 6 will take place on Jan. 26 from the United Center in Chicago. UFC officials announced the bout via UFC Tonight on Tuesday.

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson won the inaugural 125-pound title in September when he picked up a unanimous decision victory over Joseph Benavidez.

Now the Washington native will put the flyweight belt on the line for the first time ever, while also headlining the next major UFC on Fox card.

Opposing Johnson in Chicago will be Ultimate Fighter season 14 winner John Dodson.

The Team Jackson/Winkeljohn fighter earned the title shot with back-to-back wins at flyweight including his last victory over former top ranked 125-pounder Jussier Da Silva.

Now Dodson will look to become the latest Ultimate Fighter winner to wrap gold around their waist in the UFC.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/demetrious-johnson-vs-john-dodson-flyweight-title-fight-headlines-ufc-on-fox-6

Post subject: Thiago Alves 2.0 Will Return In Mid-2013
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:33 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Following Two Surgeries In 2012, Thiago Alves 2.0 Will Return In Mid-2013

It’s been more than three years since Thiago Alves truly believes he stepped into a fight feeling at his very best.

Following a 2009 loss to Georges St-Pierre at UFC 100, Alves suffered a knee injury affecting his PCL (posterior cruciate ligament). Typically that kind of injury is treated with rest and rehab and not surgery, so Alves followed his doctor’s advice and moved on with his fight career.

The problem was the nagging knee injury never completely healed, and it continued to haunt him in training camps as he got ready for other fights after the loss to St-Pierre.

Earlier this year, however, Alves suffered a whole other kind of injury when he tore his pectoral muscle. That did require surgery on his chest. It put Alves out of action for the biggest part of 2012, but on his way back from that surgery, he suffered another setback in training.

“I just went through another surgery. I had to do my PCL and my ACL on my left knee and I was excited to do that because it’s an old injury; I’ve had it since 2009. After my fight with GSP and before I was supposed to fight Jon Fitch, when it got cancelled for the first time. Then I hurt it again like 10 days before the John Howard fight, and then the last time I was getting back in shape, I hurt it again in training against (Jorge) Masvidal. I kicked him in the back of the leg and I just felt something pop,” Alves told MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday.

“At this point, I knew the PCL was gone, but the ACL was damaged too. I could probably rehab it again, try to make it stronger, but at some point I would need to get surgery to make it better.”

The additional injury to his knee forced Alves to re-evaluate his plans for the rest of this year and heading into 2013.

“I already took half of the year off because of the chest surgery and I haven’t been 100-percent since 2009 because of the knee. I’ve got a few years ahead, I’m still just 29, so we’re going to do this right. That’s why we decided to get everything done, get it out of the way. So I can come back at 100-percent,” said Alves.

Now that Alves has undergone the additional surgery to repair the damage to his knee, including the earlier PCL injury, he’s on the road to recovery with a targeted return date in mid-2013.

“I’m shooting for June of next year, hopefully by the middle of the year I’ll be ready to go. I’m thinking about four to five months of rehab, and three months to get in shape. So I’m shooting for June, July,” said Alves.

Since the loss to St-Pierre in 2009 and the subsequent knee injury, Alves has gone 2-3 in his last five fights. He doesn’t blame the losses on the injury, but it certainly didn’t help things much.

The time off will admittedly be rough on Alves, but he says it will give him time to not only rehab his knee, but get his mind right for his return to the Octagon next year.

“It makes you really put in perspective why you do what we do. Why do we start fighting? It’s because I love the competition, I love the whole martial arts learning process, and becoming a better fighter. The time off, I’ve been reading a lot, I’ve been on the mats as much as I can, helping my teammates. So I’m getting technical in a lot of areas I was never able to do because I was always training for a fight,” Alves stated.

“It definitely makes me re-focus and find myself in a way that I know exactly what I’m capable of, what I should do, to become a world champion. I have all the tools. It’s up to me now.”

When he returns next year, Alves promises not only a healthier and readier version, but also a much more dangerous fighter. He’s not sitting around and doing nothing while he’s waiting to come back.

Alves is drilling his ground game, working on his wrestling, and as always becoming a more dangerous and efficient striker. When the entire package comes together next year, Alves expects the best when he returns.

“It’s going to be a very new, improved version of Thiago Alves. It’s not just with the striking, it’s with the wrestling and the jiu-jitsu, so I’m very excited to mix everything up and see how it goes,” said Alves.

“I know my fighting style’s going to change a lot. I’m not going to be as cautious as I was the last few fights. I’m going for the kill more than ever now.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/following-two-surgeries-in-2012-thiago-alves-2-0-will-return-in-mid-2013

Post subject: GSP “Doesn’t Need Anyone In His Ear”
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:40 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

TriStar Teammate Rory MacDonald Says GSP “Doesn’t Need Anyone In His Ear”

Post subject: St-Pierre vs. Condit Will Be On The Big Screen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit Will Be On The Big Screen In Quebec

Audiences throughout Quebec will get an up-close view of Georges St-Pierre’s return to the Octagon as Guzzo Cinemas and the Ultimate Fighting Championship present UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit. Broadcast live from Montreal’s Bell Centre on Saturday, November 17 at 10:00 p.m. ET, fans will witness the crowning of the new undisputed UFC welterweight champion, as St-Pierre looks to extend his five-year, nine-fight winning streak against interim titleholder, and “Natural Born Killer” Carlos Condit.

After an injury sidelinedSt-Pierre for nearly a year, Condit claimed the interim title by defeating Nick Diaz in February. Now the two will battle it out on St-Pierre’s home turf to determine the world’s best 170-pound fighter.

Tickets for UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit are available at participating theatre box offices, as the event will be presented in five select movie theaters in Quebec. For a complete list of theatre locations and prices, visit the Guzzo Cinemas website at cinemasguzzo.com (theatres and participants are subject to change).

St- Pierre last defeated Jake Shields at UFC 129 but an ACL injury sidelined the welterweight champion late last year. Condit earned a decision win over Nick Diaz at UFC 143 in February.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-154-st-pierre-vs-condit-will-be-on-the-big-screen-in-quebec

Post subject: UFC On Fox 6 Fight Card Grows
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:46 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC On Fox 6 Fight Card Grows With The Addition Of TJ Grant vs. Matt Wiman

The latest addition to UFC on Fox 6, a fight card that is filling quickly, is a lightweight battle between TJ Grant and Matt Wiman, according to UFC Canadian officials.

UFC on Fox 6 is slated for Jan. 26 at the United Center in Chicago.

Grant (19-5) rode a roller coaster during his welterweight tenure in the Octagon, been has found nothing but success since he dropped down to 155 pounds. He has reeled of three consecutive victories, most recently defeating Evan Dunham in a Fight of the Night performance at UFC 152 in Toronto.

For his part, Wiman (15-6) is coming off of back-to-back victories. He most recently scored the Submission of the Night bonus with his armbar win over Paul Sass at UFC on Fuel TV 5 in England. That victory backed up to a Fight of the Night victory over Mac Danzig at the final UFC on Versus card late last year.

UFC officials on Tuesday announced that flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson would put his belt on the line for the first time at UFC on Fox 6, when he faces No. 1 contender and TUF Live winner John Dodson in the main event.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fox-6-fight-card-grows-with-the-addition-of-tj-grant-vs-matt-wiman

Page 387 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390 ... 431  Next