It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 389 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Drysdale Remains Perfect
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:16 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Legacy FC 15 Results: Drysdale Remains Perfect, Gonzalez Outlasts Blodget

While he missed weight at Thursday's official ceremony, registering 210.5 pounds for a light-heavyweight fight, grappling ace Robert Drysdale (5-0) didn't miss his chance at earning his fifth-straight first-round submission win.

Drysdale wasted little time taking Chris "The Celtic Tiger" Reed (5-2) to the floor and earning a first-round submission via armbar.

The bout served as the featured contest of Friday's Legacy Fighting Championship 15 event, which took place at Houston's Arena Theater and aired on AXS TV.

Drysdale shot in on an early single-leg attempt and tried to advance into a north-south choke. Reed grabbed the shorts to prevent a submission attempt, but Drysdale simply transitioned to mount before leaping out to an armbar that earned the first-round tap. Drysdale didn't break a sweat as he earned the win in just 75 seconds.

Drysdale now has five first-round tapouts to his name, and his longest fight has lasted just two minutes and six seconds. Meanwhile, Reed falls to 1-2 in his past three appearances but deserves some credit for taking the fight despite his opponent's weight-cutting issue.

In the evening's lightweight co-feature, Nick "The Ghost" Gonzalez (18-10) survived a steady barrage of first-round low kicks from opponent Ray Blodget (7-2) and bounced back to claim the final two rounds and a unanimous-decision win.

Southpaw Blodget utilized snapping low kicks in the early going to wobble his foe and slow down Gonzalez's forward movement. It was an effective strategy, and his work was punctuated by a late takedown and transition to the back, though he couldn't capitalize before the round ended.

Blodget mixed levels well in the second, as he sought high kicks, a few takedown looks and several shots to the body. Gonzalez was unfazed and moved forward throughout the round. He appeared to eat an illegal knee to the face while he had his own knee on the floor, but he simply walked through the blow and started to pepper his opponent with accurate punches to the head and body. Blodget seemed to tire as the round wore on, and Gonzalez's pressure earned him the round.

Blodget tries to seize control of the momentum in the final frame as he resumed his forward movement and looked to push the pace. Still, his fatigue was evident in a few half-hearted takedown attempts and lack of zips on his punches. Gonzalez scored a key knockdown in the final minutes that likely sealed him the result, and while Blodget did wind up in top position for a few moments in a scramble, Blodget pulled free and finished the fight on his feet. In the end, Gonzalez's final 10 minutes was enough for him to take the round.

Gonzalez improves to 2-1 in his past three fights. Blodget sees a two-fight win streak snapped.

Huerta, Bush strike their way to first-round stoppage wins

While it didn't last long, Angel "The Chosen One" Huerta (6-1) and Saul Elizondo (5-3) provided fireworks for 67 seconds before a devastating left hook ended the fight.

Both fighters looked willing to trade strikes early, but after moments of success from both competitors, a crushing left hook dropped Elizondo, and a smashing right-hand hammerfist forced the stoppage. Elizondo looked as if he was prepared to take another punch or two, but as he applied a triangle choke to the official, it appeared the referee's call was correct.

With the impressive result, Huerta rebounds from the lone loss of his career. Meanwhile, Elizondo sees a two-fight win streak come to a screeching halt.

In a middleweight matchup, William "Bubba" Bush (5-2) earned a first-round TKO stoppage over Jon "The Jaguar" Kirk (16-11) by taking him to the floor and simply big-brothering him until the referee called an end to the fight.

Bush avoided an early choke attempt Kirk and earned top position, where he looked to move to mount but settled for side control. It wound up working out well, as he transitioned into a crucifix position and rained down punches and elbows. Most of the short strikes weren't of the concussive variety, but he stayed heavy on his opponent and prevented Kirk from any sort of reversal attempt, and the bout was waved off at the 2:08 mark of the first.

Bush improves to 3-1 in his past four fights. Kirk has now dropped four consecutive fights.

Fast finishes early as de Almeida, Ontiveros, Schnell pick up quick wins

In an early "Knockout of the Night" candidate, undefeated bantamweight Thomas de Almeida (7-0) kept his record unblemished with an incredible overhand-elbow knockout of opponent Cody Williams (4-4).

Williams looked confident in the early going as he stood firm in the pocket and fired heavy strikes with his opponent. But as the round wore on, de Almeida visibly settled into the pace of fight and looked ready to explode. When an opening appeared, de Almedia did, launching a crushing overhand elbow that landed on the button and sent his opponent crashing to the canvas. A follow-up punch also landed on the jaw, but Williams was already done.

In additional early action, Charles Ontiveros (3-0) remained undefeated after earning a submission win over Patrick Hutton (3-6).

The stocky Hutton came out firing heavy leather, but Ontiveros kept his distance and moved freely as he switched stances and attacked from multiple angles. Hutton missed with powerful lunging punches as he avoided a few powerful kicks that flew just over his head. Shortly after the fight moved into the clinch and on to the floor, and it looked as if Hutton would drop bombs from top position. Instead, Ontiveros swiftly moved into an armbar position and flipped his opponent over for the tap.

In the evening's first main-card contest, Matt "Danger" Schnell (2-0) earned an impressive submission win over fellow flyweight Marcus Dupar (2-2).

Schnell dropped his opponent with an early right-hand counter and then followed his opponent to the floor for a guillotine-choke attempt. Dupar popped his head free with relative ease but left his arm behind and was forced to tapout to a slick armbar just 66 seconds after the bout began.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31661/legacy-fc-15-results.mma

Post subject: Dan Severn Sticking To Retirement Plan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:19 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Dan Severn Sticking To Retirement Plan, But Keeping Busy With Global Proving Grounds

While he’s well known for his exploits inside the cage, former UFC champion Dan “The Beast” Severn has also done his fair share of MMA commentating.

Most recently, as part of the Global Proving Grounds initiative, Severn will be handling color commentary on Saturday as part of GPG’s portion of the Big Time Branson Rumble in Branson, Mo.

“This is a piece of cake to do this kind of stuff,” said Severn as opposed to fighting. “Being on the outside calling the action, you kind of know what’s going through the mindsets and the strategy (of the fight).

“What we’re doing is for the GPG, and there is another gentleman running an MMA event here in Branson, they brought their own entire staff and referees, and it’s benefitting both companies a great deal by helping with structure and bring the overall quality of the show up.”

For those unfamiliar, the GPG is a reality show-based competition that allows fans to choose fighters who will appear on their upcoming television series next year. As Severn points out, there’s nothing quite like it in combat sports.

“It’s like a couple different reality shows come together. Think ‘Survivor’ meets ‘Dancing with the Stars’ meets ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’” he said. “What’s happened is that fighters who have submitted their videos and these various casting calls, the public can vote in 20 fighters to be on the show; 16 primary and four alternates.

“I believe they’ll be taken over to one of the islands in Hawaii sometime near the end of February and will begin shooting the show. Ultimately it boils down to a competition, but it’s going to blend different elements that currently are not being utilized on any MMA program that I know of so far.”

Once the fighters get to the island, Severn will be one of the mentors involved in the competition. It’s something that he has wanted to get involved with for quite some time.

“At one time I offered my services to ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ show and wanted to be one of their coaches, so I could teach different types of concepts that we use at our Michigan sports camps that are very unique and have helped some people become very successful in their careers,” said Severn.

Turning his attention towards his own fighting career, Severn told MMAWeekly.com that he’s sticking with the plan he’s had in place since last year to retire by 2013.

“The reality is, I had sent off a number of mass emails in December 2011 to promotions letting them know that if they were ever thinking of utilizing my services, it would have to happen sometime during the course of 2012 because I had planned on being retired as of Jan. 1, 2013,” said Severn.

“I will be retired after this year. Not necessarily because I have to, but because I have so many other interests. I think if I could dedicate more time and do it, I could still fare well in this reality as a 54-year-old man, but there comes a point and time that it’s a diminishing return.”

Severn concluded, “I’ve had a very charmed career and I just think it’s time to move on to other things.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/dan-severn-sticking-to-retirement-plan-but-keeping-busy-with-global-proving-grounds

Post subject: UFC on FX 6 Adds Nick Penner vs. Eddie Mendez
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:22 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC on FX 6 Adds Nick Penner vs. Eddie Mendez, Subtracts Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Ednaldo Oliveira

The UFC reconfigured another bout for UFC on FX 6, which also serves as the finale for The Ultimate Fighter: The Smashes, the first Australian version of the TUF franchise.

Krzysztof Soszynski and Ednaldo Oliveira were originally expected for the Dec. 15 (Dec. 14 in the U.S.) fight card, but somewhere along the way, Soszynski slipped out of the bout. UFC officials have now also confirmed that Oliveira is injured and off the card.

The Soszynski vs. Oliveira bout has been erased and replaced by a light heavyweight bout pitting Nick Penner against UFC newbie Eddie Mendez.

Penner (11-2) enters the fight coming off of a loss to Anthony Perosh UFC on FX 2 back in March. The Canadian fighter had been expected to return over the summer, but was sidelined with an injury.

He’ll now face Mendez (7-0-1), who has amassed his professional experience primarily on smaller shows in the Southwestern United States.

Mendez does have a victory over Fernando Gonzalez on the undercard of the Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Masvidal event that took place last December in San Diego.

A battle between TUF The Smashes coaches Georges Sotiropoulos and Ross Pearson headlines the UFC on FX 6 fight card slated for Dec. 15 at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre in Broadbeach, Queensland, Australia.

Due to the time difference, UFC on FX 6 airs live in the United States on Dec. 14.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-on-fx-6-adds-nick-penner-vs-eddie-mendez-subtracts-krzysztof-soszynski-vs-ednaldo-oliveira

Post subject: Champ St-Pierre Downs Condit In Thriller
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:26 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC 154 results: Champ St-Pierre Downs Condit In Thriller, Won't Commit To Silva Fight

After 19 months away from the sport, after battling through reconstructive knee surgery and while facing one of the sternest tests of his career, Georges St-Pierre proved once again why he has long been considered one of the greatest fighters in MMA history.

A battered and bloodied St-Pierre defended his UFC welterweight title in grand fashion as he took a unanimous-decision win over interim champ Carlos Condit.

The welterweight title-unification bout headlined Saturday's UFC 154 event at Montreal's Bell Centre. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

In front of an electric crowd, St-Pierre took the center of the cage to open as Condit circled patiently on the outside and looked to strike from range. St-Pierre's famed jab was on display early, and it took a little less than two minutes for him to score his first takedown. Condit was lively on his back as he looked for potential submissions, but St-Pierre stayed firm in top control and looked to posture and punch. A St-Pierre elbow brought Condit blood from just over his right eye in the final seconds of the first, and the reigning champion set an immediate tone in the opening five minutes.

Condit opened up with striking combinations in the second, but St-Pierre stayed just out of range while looking for opportunities to land with the occasional jab and straight. The first-round cut sent blood pouring down Condit's face, and St-Pierre scores another strong takedown with a little more than two minutes left in the round. Blood poured on the canvas as St-Pierre fired punches from the top, and the two men were quickly covered with Condit's plasma. Condit continued to look submissions from his back, and he scrambled to his feet in the closing seconds. Despite dropping another round, Condit raised his arms as he returned to his corner, and the rowdy crowd cheered wildly.

Condit came out energized in the third, and an early left high kick dropped St-Pierre, and Condit followed quickly to the floor. St-Pierre scrambled underneath as a hematoma immediately developed on his forehead. It looked for a moment as if the "Natural Born Killer" would pull off the upset, but Condit simply couldn't keep his opponent down, and St-Pierre scrambled back to his feet. Once there, it was vintage St-Pierre as he pushed forward behind a few right hands and yet again took the fight to the floor. Condit tried desperately to get back to his feet and finally did so with 90 seconds left in the round. He willingly went to the floor as he tried to latch on to a kimura, and St-Pierre happily followed as he pulled his arm free and finished on top heading into the championship rounds.

Condit nearly landed flush with another high kick to open the fourth, and St-Pierre moved immediately in for a takedown. Condit tried to hit a switch on the way down but was forced to settle on to his back yet again. Condit worked hard to strike with elbows and punches from the bottom as blood continued to flow from the cut on his forehead. Condit threatened with armbars, kneebars and a triangle choke, but St-Pierre was up to the task in avoiding each move. As time ticked off the clock, Condit worked to his feet and reversed the position, but St-Pierre slipped away and brought the fight again to the floor.

With the crowd on its feet in the fifth round, it was clear Condit was going to need a finish to take the belt. He opened well and avoided a St-Pierre takedown attempt, but the French-Canadian would not be stopped. The trademark jab was on full display, and a late takedown sealed the result for St-Pierre, who survived one of the stiffest tests of his already legendary career. Condit briefly exposed his back in the final minute of the contest, but he turned again to safety where he lasted until the final bell, and he was awarded the unanimous-decision win with two scores of 50-45 and one of 49-46.

Following the victory, St-Pierre admitted he struggled after the long layoff while also praising Condit as his most difficult opponent to date.

"People talk about ring rust," St-Pierre said. "I definitely know what it is now. Credit to Carlos. he gave me my toughest fight."

The win sets up a potential showdown with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who was cageside to watch the fight. St-Pierre, however, refused to accept the matchup on the spot.

"I was focusing on Carlos Condit 100 percent, and I need to take some vacation and think about it," St-Pierre said. "I want to make my best choice for myself, the UFC and the fans."

With this win, St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) now boasts a 10-fight win streak and has seven consecutive defenses of his 170-pound title. Condit (28-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC) sees a five-fight win streak snapped but certainly lost little stock in the welterweight division.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31681/ufc-154-results-champ-georges-st-pierre-vs-carlos-condit.mma

Post subject: Rafael Dos Anjos Dominates Mark Bocek
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Rafael Dos Anjos Dominates Mark Bocek For Unanimous Sweep

If Rafael dos Anjos is on a quest to show he's ready to be at the next level, his Saturday message may have been duly noted by the rest of the lightweight division.

Dos Anjos had little trouble with Mark Bocek, repeatedly stuffing the Canadian's takedown attempts – and instead taking Bocek down several times, himself.

In all, the Brazilian stuffed the home favorite 12 times and cruised to a unanimous decision victory with a sweep of the scorecards.

The lightweight bout was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC 154 event at Bell Centre in Montreal. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and a main card on pay-per-view.

A right hook from dos Anjos landed, and the two immediately tied up. After Bocek kept dos Anjos pushed along the fence for a minute, dos Anjos landed several nice knees to the midsection to earn his way out of the position. A high kick from Bocek was blocked and had him slipping to the canvas, but dos Anjos didn't move in to capitalize. But Bocek's repeated takedown attempts were shrugged off by dos Anjos throughout the frame.

Just 20 seconds into the second, Bocek landed a big shot below the belt. But dos Anjos didn't need long recovery time and quickly landed a takedown of his own. On the ground, Bocek looked to isolate an arm, but dos Anjos turned it around and went for a kimura of his own. The two scrambled in the north-south position briefly before dos Anjos tried to turn for an armbar. But he couldn't capitalize, and halfway through the frame they went back to standing – with Bocek's face well bloodied. But with 30 seconds left in the round, dos Anjos picked Bocek up for another takedown and continued the punishment.

Bocek continued to look for a takedown in the third – but to no avail. And again, dos Anjos rather easily picked Bocek up and took him to the ground. Bocek went for it late in the fight, trying to throw a few haymakers. But there was nothing there for him.

"I watched Mark's previous fights and he always comes with the same combination," dos Anjos said. "I could tell he got frustrated, but I was prepared for him. This has been a good year for me. I got three wins and I’m ready to keep going and improving."

Dos Anjos (18-6 MMA, 7-4 UFC) now has won three straight and four of his past five fights, with the lone setback being a close split-decision loss to Gleison Tibau a year ago. Bocek (11-5 MMA, 7-5 UFC) had his two-fight streak of unanimous decision wins snapped and now is 3-3 in UFC fights in his native Canada – 2-2 in Montreal and 1-1 in his home city of Toronto.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31674/ufc-154-results-mark-bocekvs-rafael-dos-anjos.mma

Post subject: Pablo Garza Survives Thrilling First
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Pablo Garza Survives Thrilling First, Grinds Out Mark Hominick

For a moment, it looked like Pablo Garza was done.

Yet after absorbing a crushing first-round bodyshot that send him toppling to the floor, Garza came back to dominate Mark Hominick for the remainder of their fight and claim a unanimous-decision win.

The featherweight bout opened Saturday's UFC 154 main card at Montreal's Bell Centre. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

The smaller Hominick pushed the pace from the opening bell as he looked to slip inside his opponent's range. Garza countered with a steady barrage of punches, kicks and knees as he looked to end things quickly. However, as the pace settled, as the round wore on and the pace settled, it was Hominick who began to find his range with crisp punches.

Garza tried to counter by moving inside, but Hominick reversed a takedown and wound up in top position, where he was forced to survive a few tense moments in an armbar attempt. Eventually, he escaped and reset on the feet, where he landed a left hook to the body hat dropped Garza, who popped somehow popped immediately back to his feet and sliced his opponent with a wild right that earned cuts above and under Hominick's left eye.

Garza came out flying in the second with a leaping spin kick before eventually pushing in for a takedown and settling into top position. Hominick did a decent job of avoiding Garza's punches and elbows while looking for potential submission attempts, but Garza was able to open cuts around his foe's right eye, as well. Garza postured once and seemed to offer Hominick an escape route, but "The Scarecrow" pushed quickly back in and finished the round on top.

Despite a battered face, Hominick came out swinging in the third and again seemed to find a rhythm. However, Garza closed the distance and again took the fight to the floor. Hominick did a better job of avoiding damage in the final frame, but he spent the majority of the round in bottom position. He was given a reprieve in the final minute, but Garza immediately deposited him on the floor and cruised to a decision win with scores of 29-27, 30-26 and 29-28.

With the impressive win, an emotional Garza (12-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) snapped a two-fight losing streak and ensures he remains on the UFC roster. Meanwhile, Hominick (20-12 MMA, 3-4 UFC) has now lost four-consecutive UFC appearances and may not have the same luxury.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31677/ufc-154-results-pablo-garza-vs-mark-hominick.mma

Post subject: Francis Carmont Escapes With Controversial Split
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:34 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Francis Carmont Escapes With Controversial Split Over Tom Lawlor

Francis Carmont is still unbeaten in the octagon, but even he might not be able to tell you exactly why.

Carmont was on defense for most of his 15-minute affair with Tom Lawlor and ended the opening two rounds caught in a submission attempt. Yet somehow, he walked away with a split-decision result.

The middleweight bout was part of Saturday's UFC 154 main card at Montreal's Bell Centre. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Southpaw Lawlor wasted little time pushing inside and working into a clinch position in the opening round. However, the position was a stalemate, and the pair was restarted in the center, where Carmont capitalized with a few chopping kicks to the body. Lawlor again pressed inside and looked for a takedown, but Carmont was again up for the challenge and even threatened with a kimura while defending his opponent's advances.

Lawlor had his best moment of the round in the closing seconds, as Carmont shot in for a takedown and fell into an arm-in guillotine position. While blood trickled from Carmont's mouth, he refused to tap and survived to the second round.

Carmont looked comfortable to open the second, and he utilized his reach to land kicks from distance while trying to set up a big right hand. Lawlor finally earned a takedown late in the round, but Carmont returned to his feet without taking much damage. Still, Lawlor refused to quit in the final minute and again found an arm-in guillotine choke attempt, though it wasn't quite as close as the one to end the first.

Carmont opened the third with more powerful kicks, but Lawlor walked through the blows and pushed his opponent against the cage. Carmont never looked in any real danger in the slow-paced fight, but he also never showed any real sense of urgency. Neither fighter absorbed much damage, but Carmont seemed to be on defense through most of the fight. Still, he was awarded an odd split-decision victory that was booed by the Canadian contingency.

So odd was the score and so slow the fight, UFC President Dana White took to Twitter to voice his displeasure.

"Who cares?" White wrote. "They both lost that fight."

Despite the controversy, Carmont (20-7 MMA, 4-0 UFC) remains unbeaten in the UFC and now boasts a nine-fight win streak. Lawlor (8-5 MMA, 4-4 UFC) falls to 2-4 in his past six appearances.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31679/ufc-154-results-francis-carmont-vs-tom-lawlor.mma

Post subject: Illegal Strikes Give Patrick Cote DQ Win
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:37 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Illegal Strikes Give Patrick Cote DQ Win Over Alessio Sakara

Alessio Sakara had a remarkable turnaround spoiled on Saturday night.

The Italian was rocked, and rocked hard, by Canadian fan favorite Patrick Cote. But he survived, landed several big elbows that put Cote down and pounded his way to what he thought was a quick TKO victory.

But when four or five of his finishing shots on the ground were to the back of the head, referee Dan Miragliotta instead disqualified Sakara, giving Cote his first UFC victory in more than four years, even if it will come with an asterisk.

The middleweight bout closed out the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC 154 event at Bell Centre in Montreal. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and prior to a main card on pay-per-view.

After a short feeling-out process, Cote turned on the power and started unleashing bombs 50 seconds into in the first. But Sakara survived them, and in defense landed several body shots to Cote's ribs. He followed with a pair of uppercuts, then tied Cote up and pushed him to the fence.

Then, out of nowhere, Sakara landed a pair of elbows that stunned Cote, followed by a left and several more elbows that put Cote on the canvas. As Sakara moved in, with Cote grabbing hold of a leg to defend, Sakara landed hammerfist after hammerfist in succession until Miragliotta stepped in.

But with many of the blows coming directly to the back of Cote's head – even though the strikes that did the damage on the feet were legal – Miragliotta had little choice but to rule a disqualification victory for Cote.

Cote had never been stopped by knockout in his career, and his lone TKO setback was because of an injury he suffered in a middleweight title fight against Anderson Silva.

"I was expecting a war with Alessio, and that's exactly what he gave me," Cote said. "There are rules for a reason, and that's pretty bad this thing happened because I wanted to give you a real war. If Sakara wants to fight me again, I'll take it – we'll give you the best show possible."

Cote (18-8 MMA, 5-8 UFC) finally got off the UFC schneid with the defeat-turned-victory. He had dropped four straight in the promotion, including a unanimous decision loss to Cung Le after returning following a four-fight streak outside the UFC. Sakara (15-10 MMA, 6-7 UFC) could be on his way to a pink slip with the loss, which gives him three straight. He hasn't won since a TKO of James Irvin in March 2010.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31676/ufc-154-results-patrick-cotevs-alessio-sakara.mma

Post subject: John Makdessi Jabs And Dodges His Way Past Sam Stout
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:39 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Baseball season is over, but John Makdessi gave Sam Stout a lesson in "small ball" on Saturday night.

While the powerful "Hands of Stone" Stout looked for the equivalent of home-run shots, Makdessi fed his fellow Canadian a steady diet of singles and doubles in the way of a heavy jab attack en route to a unanimous decision victory.

The lightweight bout was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC 154 event at Bell Centre in Montreal. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and before a main card on pay-per-view.

Makdessi looked to establish his kick early, and that had Stout looking to land with big overhand rights that narrowly missed. When Stout came in and got slightly sloppy, Makdessi landed a good counter, then followed it with a stiff left jab that would set the tone. A couple minutes in, Stout landed a good right hand that popped Makdessi's head back, and he followed by looking to go body-head. A Stout kick to Makdessi's lead leg was answered by a good counter, and soon after Stout looked for a takedown that he backed away from when it was clear Makdessi would defend. Makdessi landed a spinning back kick and brought yet another jab right behind it, then another.

Makdessi opened the second with more jab establishment. Stout landed a good roundhouse kick and tried to follow it with a right, but Makdessi continued to work his jabs and short shots. Stout tried to come inside, and the two traded body shots before Makdessi answered with more peppered jabs. Stout tried to come inside with jabs of his own, but his biggest punches were continually just out of the reach of Makdessi's chin as he ducked and dodged away. Stout wanted a takedown late, but Makdessi defended and ended the frame with a left hand.

Stout continued to be aggressive in the third, but Makdessi again was hard to find and again landed wonderfully with his counter-striking as he had done throughout the fight. Stout passed up Frankie Edgar for most significant strikes in UFC lightweight history, but it's a stat that was academic when it came to Makdessi.

Makdessi, who trains at Montreal's Tristar Gym, picked up the unanimous decision win with scores of 30-27, 29-28 and 30-27.

"I trained very hard for this fight," Makdessi said. "It's a roller-coaster ride of emotion, but I'm very happy to be here. I train and I fight, and I’m so thankful I can do that. I've been working on my wrestling and striking. Striking is second nature to me. My game plan was to counter and focus on my footwork. I saw him rushing and I knew he was getting desperate, so I played it smart. I feel very fortunate right now."

Makdessi (10-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) won in front of his Montreal home faithful and snapped a two-fight skid, likely saving his job in the UFC in the process. He hadn't win since a spinning back fist knockout of Kyle Watson at UFC 129. Stout (19-8-1 MMA, 7-7 UFC) returns to the loss column after a June win over Spencer Fisher in the pair's rubber match. At UFC 142 in January, he dropped a unanimous decision to Thiago Tavares.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31673/ufc-154-results-john-makdessivs-sam-stout.mma

Post subject: Antonio Carvalho Batters Rodrigo Damm's Leg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:42 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Antonio Carvalho Batters Rodrigo Damm's Leg, Earns Narrow Split

Canada remains good to native son Antonio Carvalho.

After falling short in his UFC debut at UFC 142 in Brazil, Carvalho has now earned back-to-back wins at Canadian-based UFC events.

The latest result came via split-decision, as Carvalho used a devastating kicking attack to outwork Brazilian Rodrigo Damm in a closely-contested affair.

The featherweight bout was part of Saturday's UFC 154 preliminary card at Montreal's Bell Centre. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and prior to the pay-per-view main card.

That pair started patiently on the feet as they traded slapping low kicks and Damm firing in several powerful right hands. As the round wore on, the power of the leg kicks increased, and Damm's lead leg immediately showed the effects of Carvalho's chopping blows. Damm answered with a few stiff jabs, but his left leg was a mess after the opening five minutes.

Between rounds, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, acting as Damm's cornerman, let the fighter know he needed to make a change, but Carvalho returned immediately to the same attack. Carvalho started to bring his kicks up high, as well, in an attempt to catch Damm looking low. Carvalho made one mistake when he slipped to the floor, which allowed Damm to engage on the ground, but after the Brazilian looked for a wild transition to the back, but the scramble allowed Carvalho to return to the feet, where they continued to strike at a moderate pace.

Damm continued to walk forward in the third frame, but the jiu-jitsu specialist was unable to threaten with any significant takedown attempts. He did mix in a few impressive punching combinations that brought the crowd to life, but he was never able to truly threaten with sold contact. Neither fighters really out their stamp on the contest at the end of 15 minutes, but two of the three judges valued Carvalho's damage and awarded him the fight by split decision.

Despite the victory, Carvalho felt he could have done more in the cage.

"I was being efficient with some things, like my leg kicks, but couldn't get my hands going," Carvalho said following the win. "My footwork was off, and I was very stiff. It is difficult to walk out of this with the win because I know I could have done more."

Despite his disappointment, Carvalho (15-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) improves to 5-1 in his past six overall appearances. Damm (10-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC), a cast member of "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil," falls to just 2-5 in his past seven official fights.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31672/ufc-154-results-antonio-carvalhovs-rodrigo-damm.mma

Post subject: Ivan Menjivar Taps Azamat Gashimov With Painful Armbar
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:45 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

UFC newcomer Azamat Gashimov got an early takedown, but it proved to be the wrestler's undoing.

Opponent Ivan Menjivar worked quickly off his back and torqued a deep armbar to submit the Russian fighter in the first round.

The bantamweight bout was part of Saturday's UFC 154 preliminary card at Montreal's Bell Centre. It streamed on Facebook ahead of additional prelims on FX and a pay-per-view main card.

Both fighters threw and landed some heavy punches early in the fight. However, Gashimov soon got underhooks and scored a trip-takedown. Initially, he landed punches from the top and dodged submissions from the bottom. But on a subsequent exchange, Menjivar snatched an arm and secured the armbar.

Gashimov instantly tried to break free and stood upright, but Menjivar clung to the arm and went belly down to torque it. Gashimov had no way to escape the painful hold, which twisted his arm and shoulder as he screamed out in pain.

The ref waved off the bout at the 2:44 mark of the opening round.

"I did it like Royce Gracie," said Menjivar, a Canadian-Salvadoran fighter based of out of Montreal's Tristar Gym. "I let him punch me, and then I submitted him. He had the takedown and landed a few punches. I saw his mistake and grabbed his arm."

Menjivar (25-9 MMA, 4-2 UFC) successfully rebounds from a decision loss to Mike Easton and now has won four of his past five fights. Gashimov (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC), meanwhile, suffers a painful loss in his U.S. debut.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31670/ufc-154-results-azamat-gashimovvs-ivan-menjivar.mma

Post subject: Johny Hendricks Crushes Martin Kampmann
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Johny Hendricks Crushes Martin Kampmann With One-Punch KO

Joe Rogan might have said it best: "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?"

Johny Hendricks set out to prove he's the top contender for the welterweight belt, and he did it with major authority.

With one shotgun blast of a straight left to the chin, Hendricks dropped Martin Kampmann for a 46-second knockout win.

The welterweight bout was the co-main event of Saturday's UFC 154 event at Bell Centre in Montreal. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

As has become customary with Hendricks, it didn't take long for "Bigg Rigg." For the second time in three fights, he finished an opponent with a first-round, one-punch knockout. Against Kampmann, Hendricks set up his finishing punch with a right hook that led straight into the left.

Kampmann immediately fell straight back, and a follow-up punch from Hendricks was academic and came faster than the referee could get in to wave things off.

Eleven months ago, Hendricks finished former welterweight title challenger Jon Fitch with one punch – a 12-second stoppage. And though his Saturday win took four times as long, it came against an opponent in Kampmann who had only been truly stopped twice in 25 pro fights.

And it came on a much bigger stage with much more at stake than his win over Fitch. Though talk has been of a potential fight between welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva, the Hendricks-Kampmann winner was thought to be next in line for a shot at the belt. And Hendricks answered that call, then slammed the receiver straight down.

"It feels great," Hendricks said. "Martin's a tough dude – I've trained with him before, and I knew he had a chance to beat me. I had to prove I'm the No. 1 contender. But please, please give me a shot at the belt. Please give me a shot at that thing."

Hendricks (14-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) now has won five straight since the only loss of his career – a unanimous decision setback against Rick Story at the TUF 12 Finale nearly two years ago. Kampmann (20-6 MMA, 11-5 UFC) had a three-fight win streak snapped. His most recent loss came at the hands of Diego Sanchez in a fight many thought he had won.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31680/ufc-154-results-johny-hendricks-vs-martin-kampmann.mma

Post subject: Cyrille Diabate Stuns Chad Griggs Early
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:50 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Cyrille Diabate Stuns Chad Griggs Early, Notches Quick Submission Win

Chad Griggs' light-heavyweight debut didn't go exactly as planned.

The former Strikeforce heavyweight looked quick in his first fight at 205 pounds, but an early left straight from Cyrille Diabate set the tone for the contest, and "The Snake" ultimately earned a first-round submission win.

The light heavyweight bout was part of Saturday's UFC 154 preliminary card at Montreal's Bell Centre. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and prior to the pay-per-view main card.

The shorter Griggs did well to start, as he closed the distance and looked to make the fight an ugly scrap on the inside. However, Diabate retreated to create space, and Griggs walked into a left hand. Diabate immediately pushed into side control, and while Griggs quickly scrambled up to his feet, his opponent remained in control of the action.

Diabate landed several knees to his opponent's face, some of which came dangerously close to when Griggs' hand was on the mat, bloodying his opponent and adding further damage. As Griggs looked to escape the strikes, he exposed his back, and Diabate pounced with a rear-naked choke. The Frenchman moved to the floor to finish the hold and earned the first submission win of his career when Griggs tapped at the 2:24 mark.

"I was looking for the knockout, but he gave me the opportunity to try and submit him, so I went for it," Diabate said after the win.

With the win, Diabate (19-8-1 MMA, 4-2 UFC) now has the first two-fight win streak of his octagon career. Griggs (11-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC), who was 3-0 in his Strikeforce career, is still winless in his UFC career.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31675/ufc-154-results-cyrille-diabatevs-chad-griggs.mma

Post subject: Matt Riddle Outstrikes John Maguire
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Matt Riddle Outstrikes John Maguire To Take Unanimous Decision

It wasn't quite the brawl Matt Riddle may have wanted, but he'll certainly take the result.

With a pace that often was more conservative than Riddle often favors, he was able to land often enough with a combination of kicks and strikes to get past John Maguire for a unanimous decision win. Riddle took the fight with a pair of 30-27 scores and a 29-28.

The welterweight bout was part of the preliminary card of Saturday's UFC 154 event at Bell Centre in Montreal. It streamed on Facebook ahead of additional prelims on FX and a main card on pay-per-view.

Both fighters came out fairly tentative, looking to establish their range in the early going. But a couple minutes in, they traded in close, and Riddle followed with a snapping leg kick that Maguire caught to look for a takedown that ultimately missed. With two minutes left, Maguire again caught a Riddle kick. But Riddle used it to push off the cage and spin out with a kick that clipped the Brit in the chin. On the third caught kick, Maguire finally tried to take advantage, but there wasn't much there.

Two minutes into the second, the exchanges finally became a little more flurried. When Maguire went to the ground, Riddle followed into his guard briefly. But referee Yves Lavigne stood the two back up when it was apparent not much was happening. Maguire looked for a single-leg takedown, but Riddle's height helped him defend with little difficulty, then bully Maguire to the fence. With 35 seconds left, Riddle shot, but Maguire got a guillotine attempt that was short-lived. They swung hard at the close of the round, and Riddle seemed to work the crowd to get momentum.

Riddle tried to turn the fight into a brawl in the third, feeding off the close of the second, but there wasn't much brawling to be found. Maguire seemed more interested in picking his shots. With 1:50 to go, Riddle backed Maguire to the fence and landed several big blows, then defended a Maguire takedown and landed a knee to the midsection. The two traded knees along the fence before finally breaking. Maguire latched onto a neck as the fight closed and a knee hurt Riddle. But it was too late to make a difference.

"I feel amazing," Riddle said. "I'm a little disappointed that I didn't do more for the crowd. He was a great opponent, but I got him a few times with my patented mule kick. The jumping spin kick is usually my last resort against someone especially talented, and it works every time."

Riddle (7-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) remained perfect – almost – in 2012. He beat Henry Martinez in February, but his win over Chris Clements in July was overturned to a no contest after he tested positive for marijuana. His 90-day suspension following that fight expired this past month. Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC), who took the fight with Riddle on less than three weeks' notice, lost for the second straight time after a seven-fight win streak. Less than two months ago, he lost to John Hathaway at UFC on FUEL TV 5.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31671/ufc-154-results-john-maguirevs-matt-riddle.mma

Post subject: Darren Elkins Dominates Steven Siler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Darren Elkins Dominates Steven Siler To Take Unanimous Decision

A dominant ground game and more of the workmanlike effort he's become known for helped Darren Elkins cruise on Saturday night

Elkins spent the majority of the fight taking Steven Siler down, then alternately beating him up on the canvas or working for submissions on his way to a 30-27 sweep of the judges' scorecards.

The featherweight kicked off Saturday's UFC 154 event at Montreal's Bell Centre. It streamed on Facebook ahead of additional prelims on FX and the pay-per-view main card.

The 145-pounders threw leather early with Elkins getting inside to land a 1-2 to back Siler up. Elkins looked to land early with his hands against the taller Siler, then defended a knee to get double underhooks and push Siler to the fence. About 90 seconds into the round, Elkins bullied Siler to the ground and quickly got to side control, though Siler defended well and got back to full guard – an early theme of the fight.

Elkins, though, postured up and landed a two-punch combination from his feet, then cradled Siler before looking for a side choke. Elkins slid out, constantly trying to pass Siler's guard. Siler continually was able to work his way back from bad positions into guard, and when Siler popped up, Elkins quickly took him back down. Elkins eventually took his neck, pulled guard and cranked on a modified guillotine choke. But Siler defended and worked out to survive the round.

An early leg kick from Siler in the second led to an easy Elkins takedown just 20 seconds in, and the Indiana native went to work on Siler's neck again. When Siler tried to push off, Elkins would go back to pounding. When Elkins postured up, Siler landed a heavy up kick. But Elkins walked through it, and back on the ground took Siler's back, locked in a body triangle and worked on a rear-naked choke. Siler survived once, but Elkins retained the dominant position and went back to work on the fence, looking for the choke with Siler locked in the body triangle. Elkins bloodied Siler up with punches while continuing to look for the choke. Again, Elkins went for a finish, but Siler kept a hand in to defend. Siler did his best to look for some reverse elbows from the bad spot and landed a few. But Elkins dominated the round, though he wasn't able to get the finish.

Siler had to go into desperation mode, down two rounds, in the third. But Elkins landed a right early, then a left jab. Siler looked to land with a knee, but Elkins again got a takedown, his fourth of the fight. He would finish with six. Siler got a hold of Elkins' neck and looked to crank late, but far too late to matter.

Elkins (15-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) won for the fourth straight time since dropping from lightweight to featherweight and seventh time in his past eight outings. Siler (21-10 MMA, 3-1 UFC) lost for the first time in nearly two years and first time in the UFC. The TUF 14 cast member had been perfect in the UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31669/ufc-154-results-darren-elkinsvs-steven-siler.mma

Page 389 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392 ... 431  Next