It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

This appears if user doesn't have JavaScript enabled, or doesn't have the required Flash Player version.

Page 392 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Luke Rockhold Is Dodging Their Fighter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:42 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Lorenz Larkin’s Management Feels Luke Rockhold Is Dodging Their Fighter

With a nagging wrist injury likely the suspect in Strikeforce middleweight champ Luke Rockhold’s reason for withdrawing from next months Strikeforce: Champions event, it leaves opponent Lorenz ‘The Monsoon’ Larkin (13-0, 1NC) without a fight for a second scheduled event.

Larkin and Rockhold had been scheduled to meet on Nov. 3rd at the ‘Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir’ event until Rockhold withdrew due to injury.

Now the champ has pulled out of a second straight fight and Larkin’s manager Arnold DeWitt is not to pleased about it. DeWitt tells MMADieHards.com that he thinks Rockhold is simply protecting his title before the move over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship, but regardless they plan on fighting him in either promotion.

“For Luke, of course he wants to keep his title when he goes over to the UFC,” DeWitt said. “That’s going to be a bargaining chip when he restructures his contract for a UFC contract. I can see why this is a dangerous fight and obviously they don’t want to fight us….”

“I hope that (UFC president) Dana White is paying close attention to this situation and comments on it publicly,” DeWitt said. “We all know and have heard Dana in the news and what he expects of his fighters. We know that pulling out because of injuries continually is frowned upon. Does the guy want to fight or not want to fight? I don’t give a crap if we fight him in January, but we want to fight the guy because now it’s become personal. We’ve done our due diligence, we signed our contracts to fight just like his camp has and at the end of the day we’re supposed to go out there and fight. We have our duties….”

“To me, unless we’re fighting Luke, nothing makes sense. If he won’t fight us in Strikeforce we want to fight him in the UFC. He’s got to fight us some way, somehow.”

Larkin’s remains undefeated as a pro with thirteen victories and one “No Contest.” ‘The Monsoon’ made his middleweight debut last July in Oregon by winning a decision over Robbie Lawler at the Rockhold vs. Kennedy event. Previous to that win, Larkin fought at light heavyweight, facing Muhammed ‘King Mo’ Lawal this past January. Larkin would lose the fight via knockout but would see the result changed to a “No Contest” after Lawal tested positive for steroids.

http://www.themmanews.com/lorenz-larkins-management-feels-luke-rockhold-is-dodging-their-fighter/

Post subject: Strikeforce Champions Gets Lorenz Larkin vs. Jacare Souza
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Strikeforce Champions Gets Lorenz Larkin vs. Jacare Souza, Several Other Bouts And New Name

Strikeforce isn’t giving up without a fight… well, they’re at least not giving up on what is expected to be their final event without a fight.

After losing two of the three title bouts planned for Strikeforce: Champions on Jan. 12 in Oklahoma City, Okla., promotion officials on Thursday confirmed several bouts for the card, including a new opponent for one-time title contender Lorenz Larkin. They also revamped the name of the event, re-christening it Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine to more appropriately reflect the fight card.

Larkin (13-0) was originally expected to challenge Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, but will now instead face former titleholder Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (16-3).

Souza has won his last two bouts, while Larkin is undefeated in the cage.

Tim Kennedy (14-4) – who was a guest on Monday’s edition of MMAWeekly Radio – will also step back into the cage at Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine. Coming off of a loss to Rockhold, he’ll face Trevor Smith, who has a 2-1 record under the Strikeforce banner and is 10-2 overall.

Another addition to the Jan. 12 fight card is Roger Gracie (5-1) vs. Anthony Smith (17-8).

http://www.mmaweekly.com/strikeforce-champions-gets-lorenz-larkin-vs-jacare-souza-several-other-bouts

Post subject: Gilbert Melendez Out; Jorge Masvidal vs. Pat Healy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:51 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Gilbert Melendez Out; Jorge Masvidal vs. Pat Healy Likely For Final Strikeforce Show

With Strikeforce champion Gilbert Melendez still sidelined by a shoulder injury, Jorge Masvidal has been tapped to face Pat Healy at Strikeforce: Champions in January.

Sources close to the match-up confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that verbal agreements are in place for the lightweight contest headed to Oklahoma City on Jan 12.

Jorge Masvidal has been looking for a fight ever since his last bout in Strikeforce in July, but two show cancellations didn’t help him much

Now the American Top Team fighter will get the chance to earn a big win in the final Strikeforce show as he faces top lightweight contender Pat Healy.

Healy has twice been scheduled to face champion Gilbert Melendez, and twice the fight has been scrapped due to injury.

Instead of waiting for another shot at Melendez or moving to the UFC, Healy will stay fighting with a bout against Masvidal come January.

Strikeforce officials have yet to announce any changes to the upcoming Jan 12 card, but an updated release for the show is expected to come out soon.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/gilbert-melendez-out-jorge-masvidal-vs-pat-healy-likely-for-final-strikeforce-show

Post subject: It Was All Fake
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

It Was All Fake; Lorenz Larkin Doesn’t Believe Luke Rockhold Was Ever Going To Fight Him

It’s safe to say Lorenz Larkin was not a happy man when he got the news that Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold was out of their fight scheduled for the Jan. 12 Strikeforce event in Oklahoma City.

Larkin got the news just a couple of weeks after signing a new bout agreement to face Rockhold in January, after the champion was forced to pull out of their originally scheduled fight on Nov. 3.

An angry and irate Larkin hasn’t slowed down, even when going back and forth with Rockhold on Twitter on Monday. The two competitors went at it via the social networking site, tossing barbs at one another, and in one response Rockhold disclosed that he never even signed a bout agreement for the fight.

“Everybody in this business knows before you start a camp, especially at this level we’re at, if one person hasn’t signed it, the matchmaker is going to tell you that something is going on. Both people sign the bout agreements, that’s when you know the fight’s confirmed,” Larkin told MMAWeekly Radio.

“They’re not going to put Rockhold and me on the Strikeforce website as a confirmed bout if it’s not confirmed. That’s why I don’t get what he’s talking about; it makes no sense to me.”

Strikeforce did promote the title fight in an initial press release about the show, and featured the bout on its website for the Jan. 12 fight card titled “Champions.” Regardless, Rockhold maintains he never signed on for the fight, but Larkin is sure he knows the real reason behind his posturing at this stage of the game.

Larkin believes that Rockhold never had any intention of fighting him, and this all boils down to his desire to carry the Strikeforce middleweight title into his first fight in the UFC.

“Now that today has gone the way it’s gone and he said what he said, no (I don’t think he ever had the intention of fighting). It was pretty much all fake. He signed the bout agreement just to let it drag on and then right before the fight, say he’s not going to fight,” said Larkin.

“For him not to fight me just so he comes in with the belt makes no sense. He’s going one way or the other, I’m not taking that way from him. I know for sure that he’s going to get picked up. The thing is, why sign up for the fight?”

The Twitter exchange took a turn for the nasty when Rockhold said it would be “easy money” to take out Larkin, and told him to “know your place.” Obviously, Larkin wasn’t amused by the comments.

“Know your place? That’s something a parent says to their child. Know my place? My place is supposed to be fighting you on Jan. 12,” said Larkin. “He’s going to say what he’s going to say and I’m going to say what I’m going to say; we’re just cut from a different cloth.”

At this stage, Larkin is just moving on from the whole ordeal and he’s moving on from the desire to face Luke Rockhold. He knows they won’t be fighting on the final Strikeforce card, and he’s not even concerned about settling their rivalry in the UFC either.

Larkin just wants to fight and he’s hoping that is still going to be on the Jan. 12 Strikeforce show, with or without a title on the line.

“I want to fight, it doesn’t matter who it is. I just like fighting, period; that’s why I got in this sport. I still want to fight on Jan. 12. It doesn’t have to be Rockhold. Truthfully, now, I don’t even want to fight him in the UFC if that ever happens,” said Larkin.

“Cause all that’s going to happen is I’m going to train again, put myself through a diet, and then a couple weeks or a month before he’s going to pull out.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/it-was-all-fake-lorenz-larkin-doesnt-believe-luke-rockhold-was-ever-going-to-fight-him

Post subject: Strikeforce Adds Gurgel vs. Martins and Pavan vs. Bravo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Strikeforce Adds Gurgel vs. Martins and Pavan vs. Bravo To January Event

Just a couple weeks ago, Strikeforce’s Jan. 12 event slated for Oklahoma City, Okla., appeared in jeopardy of falling to the wayside like the two previous attempts by the promotion to put events together.

Injuries hammered the top end of the Strikeforce: Champions fight card, necessitating its reformation as Marquardt vs. Saffiedine.

Strikeforce officials have since unleashed a string of bouts this week, keeping the Jan. 12 date intact.

The latest additions to Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine are Jorge Gurgel vs. Adriano Martins and Estevan Payan vs. Michael Bravo. Both bouts are likely to be a part of the preliminary portion of the event.

The fight card now officially stands at 10 bouts with the preliminary bouts airing on ShoExtreme and the main card on Showtime. A fight between Josh Barnett and Nandor Guelmino is also expected to be added before all is said and done.

Strikeforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt puts his newly minted belt on the line against Tarec Saffiedine in what is expected to be the final Strikeforce main event.

The promotion has suffered through a rocky relationship with Showtime since Zuffa – the UFC’s parent company – purchased Strikeforce in 2011.

All indications are that the two are expected to part ways following the January event with the UFC likely absorbing most of the top Strikeforce talent

http://www.mmaweekly.com/strikeforce-adds-gurgel-vs-martins-and-pavan-vs-bravo-to-january-event

Post subject: The MMA Beat - Episode 6
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Post subject: MFC Signs Middleweight Jay ‘Da Spyda Killa’ Silva
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

MFC Signs Middleweight Jay ‘Da Spyda Killa’ Silva, Will Debut At MFC 36

One of the most dynamic free-agent talents available is joining the deepening MFC middleweight talent pool.

Jay “Da Spyda Killa” Silva has agreed to a multi-fight contract with the Maximum Fighting Championship and will make his debut at MFC 36: Reality Check to be held on Friday, February 15 at the Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, and live on AXS TV Fights.

“Jay Silva is a huge talent, and can become an absolute wrecking machine in the Maximum Fighting Championship,” touted MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich.

“The days are over when Jay took fights at the last minute, on short notice, and without a proper training camp. He knows he’s fighting in February and I think you’ll see the best Jay Silva ever. The rest of the middleweight division should take notice now because a rejuvenated, reincarnated Jay Silva is coming to the MFC.”

Silva’s first opponent under the MFC banner will be announced in the near future.

The 31-year-old from Huntington Beach, California, is coming off the most-celebrated victory of his career – a win which earned the new nickname he proudly sports. Silva took control of his matchup against Kendall Grove in the second round, scoring a takedown and then firing away from side control. With ease, Silva moved into a phenomenal arm-triangle choke and rendered Grove into an unconscious heap to score a dramatic technical submission victory.

But the jiu-jitsu skills learned under Renzo Gracie are far from Silva’s only abilities in the ring. Of Silva’s eight victories, five have been earned by way of knockout including his monstrous 33-second destruction of Jaime Jara in 2010. Silva, who is currently ranked 43rd in the world by Fight Matrix (http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/middleweight/) went the distance against hard-throwing Chris Leben, as well as in a short-notice, razor-thin outcome versus C.B. Dolloway.

Originally from Luanda, Angola and holding Brazilian citizenship, Silva will join the MFC’s surging middleweight ranks, topped by reigning champion Elvis “The King” Mutapcic who captured the title at MFC 35 on October 26. The MFC’s middleweight talent pool includes Joseph “Leonidas” Henle, judo sensation Luke Harris, Jason “The Savage” Zentgraf, and Jacen Flynn, with more names to be added in 2013.

http://www.themmanews.com/mfc-signs-middleweight-jay-da-spyda-killa-silva-will-debut-at-mfc-36/

Post subject: Sheila Bird - Post-AFC 12 Victory Interview
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Post subject: Canada’s Charmaine Tweet vs Puja Kadian
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:06 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

SFL Fight Video: Canada’s Charmaine Tweet vs Puja Kadian

Post subject: Rejuvinated Training Room Equals Rejuvinated Career
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

For Tyson Griffin Rejuvinated Training Room Equals Rejuvinated Career

“The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself.” – Mark Caine

Former UFC fighter Tyson Griffin lost his way back in 2010 after doing so well earlier in his career.

Spending much of his time at Xtreme Couture, Griffin was later given new advice in the camp that wasn’t clicking. It quickly became apparent in his fights, as Griffin was abandoning the wrestling that made him so successful in the UFC early on.

Griffin made an unhealthy move to featherweight and after losing four of his last five fights was subsequently released from the UFC in November of 2011.

“I was young in the sport, doing a lot of good things and learning along the way,” Griffin told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I was trying a lot of new things out and I don’t think a lot of those new things helped me. I’m going to go back and do what I did that got me to the top in the first place and see what happens.”

Griffin wasn’t enjoying his environment at Xtreme Couture any longer, and knew that if he couldn’t have fun training anymore that he needed to leave.

Midway through 2012, former teammate Gray Maynard made a call for Griffin to come help him train, and everything started to click again. Griffin quickly realized that if he wanted to make a comeback that American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif., was the place to be.

“It’s about the atmosphere in the gym. I need a certain atmosphere to allow me to have fun and I need to have fun if I’m going to be there every day training hard. The fight doesn’t have to be fun. The fight is a fight.

“I feel AKA has what we could’ve had and started to have in Vegas and it kind of fell a part. I feel like AKA has got that same atmosphere and that same kind of mentality there. So, I feel like it’s a great new start and a great place to get back on the winning track and put a win streak together.”

At Resurrection Fighting Alliance 4, all of Griffin’s hard work started to pay off with a victory over fellow UFC veteran Efrain Escudero. Even with the change in camp and a year-long layoff, Griffin looked like his old self again with a crowd-pleasing unanimous decision win.

While the 28-year-old appreciates the challenges at RFA, the end game is always the UFC. And once he’s put himself back on the map, he wants to have at it once again with all of the best fighters in the world.

“I think the end of the game is to compete against the best in the world. Efrain is a good, tough guy, but I want to compete against the best names in the world. That’s what motivates me to train every day and that’s what helps me have fun in the sport.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/for-tyson-griffin-rejuvinated-training-room-equals-rejuvinated-career

Post subject: Frank Lester Accused Of Assaulting Female Fighter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Former TUF 9 Fighter Frank Lester Accused Of Assaulting Female Fighter At Event In Virginia

There are hundreds upon thousands of moments that everyone in the MMA community can be proud of, but unfortunately there are a few that shine a bad light on the sport.

On Friday night at a weigh in for “Battle of the Spartans IV”, an amateur show held in Ruther Glen, Virginia, a fight broke out that ended with a melee that including former Ultimate Fighter 9 participant Frank Lester.

Lester was a member of season 9′s United States team coached by Dan Henderson where he competed as a welterweight. Following his elimination from the tournament, Lester fought once in the UFC where he lost by submission to Nick Osipczak by rear naked choke.

The situation unraveled during a weigh-in between two women’s competitors, Cassie Crisano and Shanie Rusth. Lester was there supporting Rusth, who is his girlfriend.

According to several sources, a heated exchange took place between Crisano and Rusth at the scales, after which Rusth spit on Crisano, and seconds later a fight broke out between the participants. In the melee, Lester allegedly struck Crisano before the participants were broken apart by others at the weigh-in.

James Jones, the owner and operated of Spartan Promotions, released this statement to MMAWeekly.com late Friday evening.

“Spartan Promotions strives to bring exciting amateur fights in a manner of class, integrity and sportsmanship. We are in the business of promoting events to showcase the talent and spirit behind Mixed Martial Arts. We do not, in any way, condone the actions that took place tonight at the weigh-ins for Battle of the Spartans IV.

“Spitting or striking of an opponent outside the cage does not hold to our core values. We thank those that intervened to stop the situation from escalating. We will be cooperating with the authorities as they move forward in their investigation.”

The local police in Fredricksburg, VA are apparently seeking out Lester and Rusth for their statements regarding the situation.

Lester had posted several responses to the situation on his Facebook page on Friday evening including a violent exchange with Crisano’s manager, Terry Linton. By the time the promotion made a public statement about the incident, Lester had deleted all of the posts about the situation from his personal page.

One message that remained was from Lester’s Twitter account aimed at Crisano, who did fail to make weight for the fight, but obviously what ensued afterwards was beyond unacceptable.

“Dumb (expletive) (expletive). You’re fat and can’t nobody help you now that Shanie spit in your face. Dumb (expletive),” wrote Lester.

Later in the night, Lester did post an additional message stating, “Well tonight has been interesting. I went to a weigh in to support my girlfriend in her upcoming fight. Now I’m being accused of BS!”.

Crisano took to her Facebook page to explain her side of the story in which she claims Rusth spit on her and then Lester assaulted her with a punch

“People that do wrong are the ones that feel the need to explain themselves to try and justify their wrong. I did no wrong, I was not over 8lbs and I am a tough woman you did not break my spirit nor did that punch in my face hurt! Seriously, that was it!!?? I am a very well respected and truthful person. All that know me can vouch for me. Frankie should be ashamed of himself for punching me in the face, he’s over 6 ft tall and 200+ pounds… and Shanie is just as disgraceful for spitting in my face,” wrote Crisano.

“Our actions show our true face and I am sad that I had to deal with trash tonight. I do apologize to all my fans and people that were coming out to show your support.”

Sources stated that Crisano visited a local hospital after the weigh-ins, but there was no information available at the time of publication of her condition or her intentions to potentially file charges for the alleged assault.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/former-tuf-9-fighter-frank-lester-accused-of-assaulting-female-fighter-at-event-in-virginia

Post subject: Cain Velasquez, “I’m Going to Prove I’m the Best
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Cain Velasquez, “I’m Going to Prove I’m the Best When I Take My Belt Back”

Post subject: Benson Henderson: Winning Isn’t Everything
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Benson Henderson: Winning Isn’t Everything, It’s The Only Thing

“Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing.”

UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson is a big fan of winning, and he doesn’t really care much how he has to get there to claim a victory.

The former WEC champion who now reigns atop the UFC’s 155-pound division, like many fighters, has had his share of exciting finishes, back and forth battles, and razor close decisions.

The way Henderson claimed the title by beating Frankie Edgar was such a close call that the UFC granted the former champion an automatic rematch. The second fight was even closer than the first, but still Henderson came away with the belt.

Whether flashy and exciting or a close call down to the wire, Henderson doesn’t really care how he gets there, as long as when the fight is over Bruce Buffer is announcing him as the winner.

“I think the first two Frankie fights, the first one was close and everyone was hoping that the second one wouldn’t be as close, be more decisive, but sadly the second one was even closer than the first one. It is what it is,” Henderson said recently when speaking to MMAWeekly.com.

So for his second title defense Henderson now draws former Ultimate Fighter winner and perennial bad boy Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, but his philosophy and approach in the fight is exactly the same.

Win by any means necessary.

“I’m just trying to get a W,” said Henderson. “I’m trying to get my hand raised however I can get it. He slips on a banana peel, I’ll take it. If it’s a decisive victory, I’ll take it.

“If it’s a closer razor thin decision, even closer than the second Frankie fight, I’ll take that too. Getting a W is not easy to come by in the UFC going against the best guy literally on the planet. I’ll take it any way I can get it.”

Henderson may take some criticism for his attitude to get the win even if it’s a close controversial decision, but in reality it’s a philosophy more fighters are likely to take if it means getting their hands on a UFC title.

The fact is Henderson competes in one of the toughest, most closely contested divisions in all of MMA, and he’s not too worried about getting the big knockout or crazy submission. If it happens, he’ll be all the more excited, but he won’t force something that puts him in a position for a greater risk to lose.

He’s also not going to disrespect his upcoming opponent by predicting that he’ll finish him inside the 25-minute time limit. Henderson knows just how good Diaz really is, and this could be another insanely close fight.

“I always fight, we all fight to end fights and to be as decisive as possible. But sometimes when you’re fighting the best guys on the planet you just can’t make it as easy as that. It’d be kind of offensive I think if I just said ‘oh yeah, I’m going there, I’m going to knockout Nate Diaz, no problem,’” said Henderson.

“No, I’m not going to say that. Nate Diaz is tough. He’s darn tough. And I’m going to go out there and do my best and try to get my hand raised any way possible.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/benson-henderson-winning-isnt-everything-its-the-only-thing

Post subject: Todd Duffee: 'It's A Dirty, Nasty Business'
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Post subject: Sean Pierson Inteview
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 am 
GOLD STATUS
GOLD STATUS

Page 392 of 431 [ 6457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395 ... 431  Next