Our weekly segment Submission Sundays features the new highly anticipated collaborative LP, A New Suspiria, by ever-evolving Portland based producer, Jade River, and the iconic Myka 9, an undisputed legend of the Los Angeles hip-hop scene.
Inspired by the 1977 Italian supernatural horror film of a similar namesake, A New Suspiria is Jade River at his best as a producer. His beats are a return to a bygone LA underground sound, laden with old school sampling, boom bap tempos and jazzy undertones. Myka 9, one of the original members of Freestyle Fellowship, proves once again why he has been dubbed the Miles Davis of hip hop, delivering his verses with his classic creative flow patterns and rhyme schemes that have helped create the blueprint to the sounds permeating hip-hop today.
“Together, they have created a project that is a return to the foundations of hip hop with A New Suspiria.”
A New Suspiria is undeniably a return to the roots of LA underground hip hop. While Myka 9 has always been the godfather of the scene, laying the foundation for all those who have come after him, the partnership with Jade River is bringing the sound back to the forefront and back to hip-hop’s roots.
SUBMISSION SUNDAYS SELECTION DETAILS
- Artist/Group: Portland based producer, Jade River, and Los Angeles-based rap artist, Myka 9, original member of the Freestyle Fellowship.
- Submission: The new 10-track collaborative album, A New Suspiria, which was released on Oct. 9, 2018. A New Suspiria is undeniably a return to the roots of LA underground hip hop. While Myka 9 has always been the godfather of the scene, laying the foundation for all those who have come after him, the partnership with Jade River is bringing the sound back to the forefront and back to hip hop’s roots.
- Streaming Links: You can find the new album on various digital streaming platforms including Apple Music and Spotify.
- Social Media: You can follow @JadeRiverMusic and @Myka9 on Instagram.
Check out A New Suspiria below.
JADE RIVER – MYKA 9 – A NEW SUSPIRIA
SUBMISSION SUNDAYS INFO
Submission Sundays is a segment we introduced in 2018 to show love to the hundreds of artists and groups that submit new material to us weekly. The segment also gives us a chance to show love to people who aren’t already receiving regular coverage on HipHopCanada, and gives them a chance to connect with our viewers.
Each week, we’ll select 8 new submissions and feature them on our homepage for at least a 24 hour period.
To be considered for our weekly Submission Sundays segment, please submit your content using our Submission Form. International submissions are welcome.
Please note, due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable to respond to each submission directly. Submissions with missing information will be deleted.
A summary of this week’s selections:
- Toronto’s Thorobread teams up with NorthSideBenji for “1 of 1”
- Montréal’s Nate Husser drops 6º EP & visuals for “Oldie”
- Producer Jade River & Myka 9 drop collaborative LP, A New Suspiria
- Same Thing: Staten Island’s Jordan Barone releases video debut
- Toronto up-and-comer Leo enlists Lucas Visuals for “Criminal”
- Toronto artist Troy Phoenix drops new EP, Dawn of The Phoenix
- Toronto’s ZONE23 enlists Mike Lowrey for “Offended”
- Ottawa’s HBR Fleezy drops Chevy-assisted “Drip From My Walk”
Song of the Day
/ 1 hour ago
Since moving to New York by way of Seattle, Queens-based rapper Aaron Cohen has...
/ 5 hours ago
Following his critically acclaimed Compact Burna album from earlier in the year, budding Toronto...
/ 2 days ago
From Hitmaker to Humanitarian: Meet the Canadian Philanthropist who used hip-hop to change the world
As a teenager, drawn to rap music for its raw sense of honesty and...