Our Weekly segment The Weekly Eight returns with a new Double Dog Films-powered video by Molecules, DiceMan, and Chucky Smash of The Legion.
Bronx rap trio The Legion take us back to “1980 Something” in their new video that depicts the good, the bad, and the ugly from that decade including Ronald Reagan’s flawed drug war and larger-than-life parties.
“…the video effortlessly encapsulates that era.” – HipHopDX
To capture the vibe of New York City (and the country at large) in the ’80s, the Double Dog crew did a stellar job of blending footage from that era with shots of The Legion posted up in the BX. As Molecules, DiceMan, and Chucky Smash pass the mic back and forth throughout the track, you see shots of Reagan, drug busts, live performances, wild outfits, and so much more that encapsulated that time period.
The “1980 Something” video is a highly engaging and entertaining glimpse of what The Legion has in store on their new album, Three The Bronx Way.
“Plenty of Rap peers—reportedly including Biggie Smalls—were admitted fans of the production and hardcore Hip-Hop style.” – Ambrosia For Heads
While you wait for that release, be sure to keep their debut LP, Theme + Echo = Krill, in rotation—an album that remains as dope today as it was back in ’94.
- Artist/Group: Bronx, New York rap trio, The Legion, which includes Molecules, DiceMan, and Chucky Smash.
- Submission: The new Double Dog Films-directed video for the Molecules-produced single, “1980 Something.” The song will be featured on the group’s next album, Three The Bronx Way, due out Feb. 01 through all major DSPs and vinyl via Legion Records, distributed by Fat Beats. Pre-order here.
- Streaming Links: The video was posted to YouTube on Jan. 24, 2019. The single is available on Spotify and other digital streaming outlets.
- Social Media: You can follow @_TheLegion_ on Instagram.
Check out the “1980 Something” video below.
THE LEGION – 1980 SOMETHING
THE WEEKLY EIGHT INFO
Submission Sundays was a segment we introduced in 2018 to show love to the hundreds of artists and groups that submit new material to us weekly. The segment also gave us a chance to show love to people who weren’t already receiving regular coverage on HipHopCanada, and gave them a chance to connect with our viewers.
Towards the end of the year, we relaunched Submission Sundays as The Weekly Eight, with the same objective to help artists grow.
Each week, we’ll select 8 new submissions and feature them on our homepage for at least a 24 hour period.
To be considered for The Weekly Eight segment, please submit your content using our Submission Form. International submissions are welcome.
Please note, due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable to respond to each submission directly. Submissions with missing information will be deleted.
A summary of this week’s selections:
- Burna Bandz releases the “Beast Mode” video in support of Compact Burna
- Expensive: Toronto’s Gustavo Guaapo drops new visuals for The Andretti-produced single
- Bronx trio The Legion captures life in the 80’s in “1980 Something” video
- Halifax’s Tachichi releases the Top Ten album
- The Super Saga: Sayzee previews new project with “Hit” single
- Toronto’s Jordan Kahn releases “U R My Drug” single off solo debut
- Toronto’s ScrapGang releases the They Don’t Want Me To Win project
- Lost: Toronto’s Ollie releases 3 track EP; launches European tour