Toronto’s Mathematik previews Realishim album with “The Motive” single
Our Weekly segment The Weekly Eight returns with the latest single from veteran Toronto rapper, Mathematik. The song comes in advance of his Realishim (or ReAL/iS-Him album), the follow up to his buzzworthy LP, No Division. Realishim delivers words that inform the mind while having feet planted firmly in assertive, heavy beats.
Mathematik is a multi-disciplinary artist (emcee, DJ, producer) who is deeply rooted in the music industry. He started out as a dancer in grade four, eventually evolving as a lyricist and then learning to DJ. As a once member of the soulful Hip-Hop crew Down to Erf, Mathematik’s background embodies almost all the fundamental aspects of hip-hop culture.
“The difference between this and the No Division album is that I have more wisdom lyrically and speak out on more diverse topics… from the social and racial injustice all around us, to the regular struggles of life, and wanting to do better in mind body and soul.” – Mathematik
His roster of collaborators and cohorts reads like a Canadian hip-hop ‘who’s who’ commemorative. Highlights include producer K-Cut, Sic Sense, Citizen Kane, Saukrates, and Dream Warriors. Additionally, he worked with Philly-based hip-hop queen Bahamadia, with whom he realized the 1999 notable single, “Following Goals.”
Realishim has been a project in the works for years. Influenced by freestyle and DJ cyphers, Mathematik delivers an authentic sound derived from the once golden era, along with some modern adaptations. Realishim carries an undeniably heavier feel than previous works, with commentary on systemic and daily experiences of oppression This shift in Mathematik’s work is what brings the album to an elevated platform.
“The Motive” is HipHopCanada’s Song of the Day. The video is powered by Patrick Younger for RA Photo & Film.
- Artist/Group: Toronto recording artist and producer, Mathematik.
- Submission: The new single, “The Motive,” which will appear on Mathematik’s next album Realishim to be released on March 1, 2019, via URBNET and distributed in Canada by Fontana North and USA/International by Fat Beats.
- Streaming Links: You can find the single on various digital outlets including Apple Music and Spotify.
- Social Media: You can follow @TheRealMathematik on Instagram, and follow @MathematikU on Twitter.
Check out “The Motive” below.
MATHEMATIK – THE MOTIVE
THE WEEKLY EIGHT INFO
Submission Sundays was a segment we introduced in 2018 to show love to the hundreds of artists and groups that submit new material to us weekly. The segment also gave us a chance to show love to people who weren’t already receiving regular coverage on HipHopCanada, and gave them a chance to connect with our viewers.
Towards the end of the year, we relaunched Submission Sundays as The Weekly Eight, with the same objective to help artists grow.
Each week, we’ll select 8 new submissions and feature them on our homepage for at least a 24 hour period.
To be considered for The Weekly Eight segment, please submit your content using our Submission Form. International submissions are welcome.
Please note, due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable to respond to each submission directly. Submissions with missing information will be deleted.
A summary of this week’s selections:
- King of DC: Shy Glizzy releases the “30s, 50s, 100s” video
- Toronto’s Mathematik previews ReAL/iS-Him album with “The Motive” single
- Ottawa’s big ZEE impresses with 5-track EP, Méchant
- Caviar Dreams: NorthSideBenji enlists Houdini for the “Levels” video
- Visions: Ottawa rapper DaBoiLoc drops first video in support of EP
- Between Somewhere: Token & Tech N9ne call out “YouTube Rappers” in new video
- Merkules enlists Stuey Kubrick for “Reject” visuals
- Toronto’s French of Triple M enlists StrvngeFilms for “On Time” video