Zee & The Empties drop the “Burnabarian” video in advance of EP debut
Our Weekly segment The Weekly Eight returns with the new J.P. Santa Maria-directed video for “Burnabarian” by Burnaby, BC-raised Zee & The Empties in advance of their EP debut.
Zee & The Empties were introduced to us by group member, Zac McMillan, an independent Canadian musician whose experiences growing up in Vancouver are echoed throughout the forthcoming project. The group formed in 2016 and, along with McMillan, consists of producer Andre “Sugar Jesus” Basirov, Nick Hobden, Sandy Buglass, and Kentya Kurban.
“McMillan’s style ranges from hip-hop to blues, blending them together with a mix of funk and R&B that has come to be recognized as his signature sound.”
Over the last two years, Zee & The Empties has released three singles and two other music videos off the Burnabarian EP, with the third one dropping just in time to give another big push before the project’s Jan. 11 release date.
One of the singles, “What’s Left,” features IMUR’s Jenny Lea, a familiar face among the Vancouver music scene. Prior to the release, the group has played Phillip’s Backyard Weekender in Victoria, and is set to host a release party in downtown Vancouver on Thursday, Feb. 28.
- Artist/Group: Burnaby, BC’s own Zee & The Empties, a music collective consisting of Zac McMillan, Andre “Sugar Jesus” Basirov, Nick Hobden, Sandy Buglass, and Kentya Kurban.
- Submission: “Burnabarian” is the title track off Zee & The Empties’ forthcoming EP set to drop Friday, Jan. 11, 2019. The term “Burnabarian” was inspired by their hometown (Burnaby, BC) and titles the project because a majority of it was written in reference to their youth.
- Streaming Links: The video was published to YouTube on Dec. 20, 2018.
- Social Media: You can follow @ZeeAndTheEmpties on Instagram. Be sure to check out the official site, ZeeAndTheEmpties.com.
Check out the “Burnabarian” video below.
ZEE & THE EMPTIES – BURNABARIAN
THE WEEKLY EIGHT INFO
Submission Sundays was a segment we introduced in 2018 to show love to the hundreds of artists and groups that submit new material to us weekly. The segment also gave us a chance to show love to people who weren’t already receiving regular coverage on HipHopCanada, and gave them a chance to connect with our viewers.
Towards the end of the year, we relaunched Submission Sundays as The Weekly Eight, with the same objective to help artists grow.
Each week, we’ll select 8 new submissions and feature them on our homepage for at least a 24 hour period.
To be considered for The Weekly Eight segment, please submit your content using our Submission Form. International submissions are welcome.
Please note, due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable to respond to each submission directly. Submissions with missing information will be deleted.
A summary of this week’s selections:
- Cali artist Jehuniko releases the new album Paradise Album
- LB & Prince Dawn drop new “F*ck Wit Us” video in support of EP
- YVRello & The LJ drop “YV International” visuals in support of YV Radio Vol. 1
- New Yuck City: Dirty Sanchez 47 releases CJ Fly-directed “BiPolar” video
- Zee & The Empties drop the “Burnabarian” video in advance of EP debut
- Link Up: Dartmouth’s Bucky Blanks enlists producer Epik The Dawn for new single
- Do It Right: KingCon drops visuals for Sentury Status-powered single
- Way Up: SHDW releases first single off album debut, Earthtones & Greyscale